IFR

Wally Sad

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Wally
Hi
I am a student pilot, and i was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question:
I flew under the hood for two hours, and i still have one hour left. I'am doing the 3 hours night flying tonight and i was wondering of i can count one of the hours toward the IFR?
thanks,
Wally

Hi
I am a student pilot, and i was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question:
I flew under the hood for two hours, and i still have one hour left. I'am doing the 3 hours night flying tonight and i was wondering of i can count one of the hours toward the IFR?
thanks,
Wally
Yes.

I believe that's only true if you're with a CFII rather than just a CFI.

Correct.

His 3 hours of Instrument time will only count towards his private, if the CFI is only a single-I. If he is an -II, those 3 hours are also good for the 15 hour dual requirement for the IR.
But, if he flies one of his night hours under the hood, it does count for that hour he needs for the private, even if the CFI is a -I not -II.

I did almost all my primary training with a CFII, but he happened to be sick for a week so he had me fly with a regular CFI. Of course that was the week I did most of the hood work. Oh well...

Thanks for all your answers. i will advise my CFI that one of the hours should count towards my total of 3 hours under the hood.
this is a great group. Thanks again

I don't like double-dipping like you suggest. Three hours of night is not much and I believe you should get the experience visually.

As has been said, your hood time with the CFI will count toward the private but not toward "instrument flight instruction" required for an IFR rating. However, the IFR rating requires 40 hours of actual or simulated instrument time but only 15 hours of "instrument instruction" from a CFII. So, your one hour with a non-II is probably not wasted even toward the instrument rating.

i will advise my CFI that one of the hours should count towards my total of 3 hours under the hood.
Do provide the advice, but as a CFI, Your question and the correct answer is something he is supposed to know without referring to the books, rules, or interpretations.

I think doing hood work at night is much more effective. You're much less apt to catch glimpses of the ground below you. I never experienced SD under the hood except at night and knowing how to handle a plane while experiencing SD is the whole point in my mind.

Maybe the OP can clarify if he was talking about combining the simulated instrument time with the night time for the PPL requirement. Or are you talking about the instrument rating?

I think doing hood work at night is much more effective. You're much less apt to catch glimpses of the ground below you. I never experienced SD under the hood except at night and knowing how to handle a plane while experiencing SD is the whole point in my mind.

Good point. But I don't like the idea of counting that toward the three hours of night experience. Likewise, I don't like combining hood work with the minimum cross country requirements.

For future reference, be mindful what you mean when you say "IFR", because your question had nothing to do with IFR.

Correct.

His 3 hours of Instrument time will only count towards his private, if the CFI is only a single-I. If he is an -II, those 3 hours are also good for the 15 hour dual requirement for the IR.
But, if he flies one of his night hours under the hood, it does count for that hour he needs for the private, even if the CFI is a -I not -II.

Thanks for all your answers. i will advise my CFI that one of the hours should count towards my total of 3 hours under the hood.

Wally, re-read mutomi's post. You can't count any of the time under the hood for instrument time as it applies to your instrument rating with a CFI. You can however, count all three hours towards your private.

Do provide the advice, but as a CFI, Your question and the correct answer is something he is supposed to know without referring to the books, rules, or interpretations.

I agree, but I'm willing to bet that in this case the CFI knows more than the OP and his questions here aren't specific enough to generate the truly correct answer for his situation.

The more I read this, the more it sounds to me like the night flight time was done without a hood on and the OP wants to count it toward the instrument time even though no view limiting device was used.

I agree, but I'm willing to bet that in this case the CFI knows more than the OP and his questions here aren't specific enough to generate the truly correct answer for his situation.

The more I read this, the more it sounds to me like the night flight time was done without a hood on and the OP wants to count it toward the instrument time even though no view limiting device was used.

Right, that's what I don't get. Night time doesn't equal instrument time. Unless there's a hood involved. Add a CFI to that and all you can log is dual/night/simulated towards your private.

The only time that counts towards your future instrument rating is night time, probably dual received..definitely NOT hood time. Unless the person was a CFII then, they all count as I understand it, up to 15 hours instrument max, I think. No limit on dual or night.

That's why a lot of schools don't even hire CFI's anymore. You need to be a CFII at a minimum because they don't want to deal with this situation..

Last edited:
That is ONLY true if that one hour of night is done under the hood.

Don't be surprised, however, if he does not accept SGOTI* as an authoritative source.

* SGOTI = Some Guy On The Internet

That is ONLY true if that one hour of night is done under the hood.

Don't be surprised, however, if he does not accept SGOTI* as an authoritative source.

* SGOTI = Some Guy On The Internet

Some places combine those and fly 3 hours at night under hood, and 2 hours night without. Not sure exactly why, but I've seen a syllabus where that was the plan.

Back