IFR Written

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
My wife is taking IFR lessons.

Her instructor asked her if she had taken the written test yet. When she said she hadn't, he said she should.

So she called to schedule the written. They said she had to have an endorsement. So she called her instructor who said they needed to give her THEIR test prior to giving an endorsement. So she did that today.

After completing the test with an 83% they told her she needed an 85% for their endorsement. She is not happy.

Does this sound "normal" (whatever that is)? I can see their point but she feels like she was misled and is very disappointed.

I'd feel misled too. Her instructor should have laid out the process in the beginning and led her through it.

While it's "normal" for an instructor to have students take (and pass) a practice written before they sign the endorsment, it's not normal to do it the way they did. As previously posted, the requirement should have been stated up front and more guidance provided prior to this point.

It's lousy customer relations the way they handled it, but it's still a real good idea.

When we started requiring our students in the university aviation program I used to run to get at least three 85's or better on practice tests before taking the real one, the pass rate went from under 50% to over 95% -- one, maybe two failures a year out of about 40 FAA written tests a year (including Pvt, IR, CP, FOI, CFI-A, and CFI-I).

So tell your wife to buck up and do those practice tests, and tell the flight school they need to work on how they explain things to their customers.

It's lousy customer relations the way they handled it, but it's still a real good idea.

When we started requiring our students in the university aviation program I used to run to get at least three 85's or better on practice tests before taking the real one, the pass rate went from under 50% to over 95% -- one, maybe two failures a year out of about 40 FAA written tests a year (including Pvt, IR, CP, FOI, CFI-A, and CFI-I).

So tell your wife to buck up and do those practice tests, and tell the flight school they need to work on how they explain things to their customers.

:yeahthat:

I think the Capn' is giving good advice. Run through the study material one more time and she'll probably be ready. Try exam4pilots.org a few times to see where she is.

Doc

So tell your wife to buck up and do those practice tests,
Where is thr best place to find these practice tests? I got the King course, but could not find any practice tests with it...

Where is thr best place to find these practice tests? I got the King course, but could not find any practice tests with it...
I highly recommend Gleim's practice test products, which very accurately simulate the actual test system.
http://www.gleim.com/products/productdetails.php/PPKT+BS-_-Private-Pilot-FAA-Knowledge-Test-Book-
You can get the book without the software, or the software without the book, but I recommend both together. They have similar products for IR, CP, etc. And I'm pretty sure King has a similar product, but I've never used it.

There are also some free practice test web sites on the internet, but you have to be very careful that they have up-to-date material -- the FAA changes these test banks annually, and sometimes more often. Ditto with any package you buy second-hand. When you buy new from Gleim or King, you know what you get is current.

Also, most flight schools of any size have this (or a similar system) on their computers already, and allow trainees to practice for a very nominal charge, if not for free. Flight schools also usually work to make sure the material is current.

Last edited:
The King online course requires 3 at 100% before they will endorse you!

Hmmm....I took three and scored in the 80's and got their endorsement. Not sure where you read the 3 at 100% requirement.

Here's my recent experience. I took the King online course, completed it and passed three practice tests at which point I was allowed to print out the endorsement. I took some more practice test and purchased the Dauntless software and practiced with it. I kept scoring in the 80's and was not happy with that.

I went back through all of the King lessons a second time and then started taking practice tests through the Dauntless software, several a day until I was consistently scoring in the 90's.

I scheduled the written for the next day and scored 80%. There were several questions I had not seen before that I had to think through thoroughly.

My wife is taking IFR lessons.

Her instructor asked her if she had taken the written test yet. When she said she hadn't, he said she should.

So she called to schedule the written. They said she had to have an endorsement. So she called her instructor who said they needed to give her THEIR test prior to giving an endorsement. So she did that today.

After completing the test with an 83% they told her she needed an 85% for their endorsement. She is not happy.

Does this sound "normal" (whatever that is)? I can see their point but she feels like she was misled and is very disappointed.
I can see the logic, but they should have given her ALL the information.
I agree with the idea to take several practice tests.
Make sure she studies about Ice, Icing, and GPS approaches. I studied for A LONG time for the IR test and got surprised by the questions above, they weren't on the ASA book, nor in the updates.

I use ASA Prepware successfully. Two practice tests over 80 and you can submit them to get an endorsement via email. Doesn't substitute for discussion with CFI, but it's good for the memory work and official endorsement. ASA has apps for iPhone and iPad, which I find useful.

Don't know what the competition is like in your area, but I would consider donating my funds elsewhere, or at a minimum have a discussion with the business owner/manager. If she's dealing with an independent instructor, she is well, well within her rights to have a "Dutch Aunt" talk with him. She is a paying client.

I use ASA Prepware successfully. Two practice tests over 80 and you can submit them to get an endorsement via email. Doesn't substitute for discussion with CFI, but it's good for the memory work and official endorsement. ASA has apps for iPhone and iPad, which I find useful.

Don't know what the competition is like in your area, but I would consider donating my funds elsewhere, or at a minimum have a discussion with the business owner/manager. If she's dealing with an independent instructor, she is well, well within her rights to have a "Dutch Aunt" talk with him. She is a paying client.

You're going to make a good CFI.

How in the hell does a CFI tell a student to go take the written without verifying that she has the endorsement???

Back