IFR Written

jhempel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jhempel
I heard that the questions in the IFR written database are being revised. Do any of you know any specifics?

Seems reasonable they would need to change at least those about currency. Some of the questions gave you a list of what you have done and ask what else you need within 6 months. Before, no hours required; but now all those right answers are wrong. Probably some other changes too. I took the written a while ago, after going through the King Schools DVD course. They guarantee the Q&A is right when they mail it out, but charge $20 or so if you want them to update you by mail for a year with any changes. Common situation. I finished the course and passed the test in about 3 weeks so did not feel the need to get the update service.

Seems reasonable they would need to change at least those about currency. Some of the questions gave you a list of what you have done and ask what else you need within 6 months. Before, no hours required; but now all those right answers are wrong.
Remember, so far it's only a proposal! They're not going to go changing the questions until it's finalized.

There are a lot of other changes they should make on the questions, though, to reflect the weather products that are really available and to better reflect equipment found in the fleet today.

Last edited:
I work for King Schools, and only 3 questions were changed on the IFR written since last year at this time. Private had many changes, and sport pilot, the most.

I know this may be frowned upon here, but it may help some pilots...:dunno:

I can extend a special offer on King Material if you ask for me when ordering. I work at the different air shows for the Kings, and work in the sales department. I can make a significantly better offer on any King knowledge test or checkride course. Including the G-1000 and 430/530 courses.

Paul Bell
1-800-793-6898
Sun-Thur
2pm-8pm Pacific

I work for King Schools, and only 3 questions were changed on the IFR written since last year at this time. Private had many changes, and sport pilot, the most.

I can extend a special offer on King Material if you ask for me when ordering. I work at the different air shows for the Kings, and work in the sales department. I can make a significantly better offer on any King knowledge test or checkride course. Including the G-1000 and 430/530 courses.

Paul Bell
1-800-793-6898
Sun-Thur
2pm-8pm Pacific

That's cool. Filing away that info... :yes:

Paul Bell
1-800-793-6898
Sun-Thur
2pm-8pm Pacific
Would you be willing to post some guide for price ideas in the classified section so folks here have an idea?

Personally, I believe the King/Cessna products are overpriced for the volume of data and material provided. But, I also believe market economy rules. I used all the courses from PPL through CPL and G1000. The latter was way behind what it should be for that equipment. I'm really hoping some changes can be made and the prices relaxed.

BTW, Paul, nothing against you or King, I used you guys for both my PP and IR writtens, good stuff. I'd just personally prefer you to keep the hawking to the classifieds. :D

I did my Instrument Written in 1999 studying from a 1992 Gleim and only found one question on the test (regarding GPS) that I hadn't seen before. Which I missed of course. Still got a 93%. I don't think you will have any problems.

BTW, Paul, nothing against you or King, I used you guys for both my PP and IR writtens, good stuff. I'd just personally prefer you to keep the hawking to the classifieds. :D

Ditto on the hawking in the classified section and I also used you for my commercial. Please keep posting though. I think that posting in a spam like style turns people off and that is not what you want to do.

I rented the King course for my PP and I'm going to do the same for my IR.

You can get them here:

http://smartflix.com/store/category/70/Aircraft-Piloting

Hmmm...
This really surprises me, and I'm afraid this doesn't seem within the bounds of the license. Per the license agreement in one of my King courses, (and I presume they're all substantially similar,):
King Schools' Computer-based Interactive Video(TM) Course Non-transferable Support and License Agreement
[...]
2. PURPOSE OF LICENSE: You may use the Software for your own personal, individual self-study, only on a single computer.

3. RESTRICTIONS -- You may not:
A. Permit another individual to use this copyrighted Software at any time.
[...]
D. Reproduce, duplicate, copy, modify, rent, lend, sell, transfer, distribute, disassemble, decompile, or reverse engineer this Software or any portion thereof.
So if this is my course, my wife may not watch the course (Software) within the bounds of the license. Nor may I as an instructor use it to teach my students. And, were I Netflix, Smartflix, etc., I could not rent it out.

Now, it's certainly possible that KSI has a separate license especially for this type of operation. Basically, they purchase the same media I have for about ten times the cost, but with the legal right to rent it like this. I hope that is what they've done here, or they could be facing some expensive lawsuits here.

Last edited:
Back