IFR written question

Ozone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ozone
I stumbled across 60-11c which discusses "test aids" and materials. It specifically says: "Applicants may use test aids, such as scales, straightedges, protractors, plotters, navigation computers, log sheets, and all models of aviation oriented calculating devices that are directly related to the test. In addition, applicants may use any test materials provided with the test."
It also says "The term “calculating devices” is interchangeable with such items as calculators, computers, or any similar devices designed for aviation-related activities."

Does this mean i can bring the climb/descent table with me?

Does it mean I can use my iphone with an electronic E6b computer? Or, do I need to buy a stand-alone electronic E6B?

Does this mean i can bring the climb/descent table with me?

No. However, review the Testing Supplement. Could be the table you reference is in there.

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/supplements/media/akts_listing.pdf

Being familiar with the supplement and what information it contains (especially the area that replicates the Chart Supplement book) can be a big help. Often the answers to several questions are right there. No need to access the Swiss cheese part of your long term memory only to find the info you wanted to access was coded to one of the holes.

Does it mean I can use my iphone with an electronic E6b computer? Or, do I need to buy a stand-alone electronic E6B?
You are prohibited from using your iPhone or any device that has "non-volatile" memory. You are allowed to bring in electronic E6B's that will fully erase their memory functions when the batteries are removed.

During my exams, my proctors asked to see the flight computer with the batteries removed. I guess they were under scrutiny to make sure only the proper items were available at the testing station.

I also wear an Apple Watch and was asked to place that into the supplied personal effects bag along with my iPhone.

For an electronic E6B, I highly recommend the ASA CX-3 over the Sporty's offering. The user interface is much better, and the unit conversions "on the fly" save lots of time. You can play with a web version at this link: http://online.prepware.com/cx3e/index.html

You absolutely cannot bring an iPhone in. The climb/descent table is in the legend pages of the supplement provided with the test.

Back