IFR Written... nerves!

What's this? Do you mind expanding?
Did you miss inserting the snark smiley?
You might have just opened up the gang piling onto you about this.... :D :D :popcorn:

The Five T's are
  1. Turn – Turn to the Course Heading
  2. Time – Start the Time
  3. Twist – Tune the Radio (VOR etc) and/or Twist the CDI
  4. Throttle – Reduce the throttle; Go Down (descent) or Slow Down
  5. Talk – Talk to the ATC

Ah! Ok.... all stuff I'm used to, just haven't seen it framed up like that.

Never said I was doing the writing and annotating while in flight. That's done with my prep at the kitchen table the day before the flight.

Hehehe. Your instructor is gonna mess with you... "Airport just closed, disabled aircraft on the runway... Say intentions." ;)

I made a stamp with the following info:

Freq (ILS or VOR frequencies)
FAC (final approach course)
Intercept (g/s intercept altitude)
DA/MDA
Missed

I have post it notes and use the stamp to stamp the post its. For each approach I complete the data along with the minimum crossing altitude for each fix.

I put the post it as a reminder after I brief the approach. Works for me....

Sounds like you've met Ron Levy.

Or @jesse ... Or any other... Heh. There's a part of me that's looking forward to earning my "damn, you evil bastard!" certificate.

Really though, it's about seeing the student progress...

And my current instructor was chuckling at me trying to read my very first flown GPS approach plate and brief it in turbulence after figuring out where the iPad went under the seat... After we couldn't do the ILS or we'd be number six for it...

I took the ifr written today for the first time. Got 92 and was gunning for 100, since I made 98 on ppl with which I was also disappointed. Truth is, I knew the material inside out but suck at tests. Was so nervous going to the the test that I made three wrong turns trying to get there. Wonder if I am cut out for this? I am a hopeless perfectionist and it's such a blow to my confidence, I am considering quitting flying. Not sure what to do at this point; would much appreciate any guidance.

Cross posted in pilot training forum. I already responded there. I’m changing my response here - yes. Quit flying. If you are that much of a perfectionist you should quit. I mean, I am never off GS by even one dot and I always grease it on centerline on the 1000’ markers, so I can’t relate.

But if you can’t be perfect in everything you do in aviation.... yeah quit :rolleyes:

I made a stamp with the following info:

Freq (ILS or VOR frequencies)
FAC (final approach course)
Intercept (g/s intercept altitude)
DA/MDA
Missed

I have post it notes and use the stamp to stamp the post its. For each approach I complete the data along with the minimum crossing altitude for each fix.

I put the post it as a reminder after I brief the approach. Works for me....

I use...

Frequencies
Altitudes
Course
Entry type (procedure turn?)

(and the miss)
Course
Altitude
Time to go miss?

I am not sure who is calling whom a troll? If it is I, I apologize. I'm new to the forum and last night I got a little desperate. I just got really emotional over it and, yes, I am a perfectionist!

We just got our first-ever airplane, a 1980 Mooney M20J, and I absolutely love her! Maybe just let bygones be bygones, cheer up and move on.

Welcome to PoA. A 92 is still an A, good job. We will require pics of said Mooney.

Perfectionism can be a bad thing as a pilot and you need to acknowledge that. Few flights are perfect, you have to be able to let go of what you expected to happen (like a perfect grade) and focus on what needs to be done to complete the flight safely, which often will not be a perfect solution.

Don’t let perfectionism lead you to the resignation hazardous attitude, which is sort of what you expressed in your initial posts. “I wasn’t perfect, so I should quit”.

The Design of the Faa tests are such that there is effectively no difference between a score of 100 and a score of 90.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Instrument training is full of acceptable performance envelopes. Deflections, altitude holds, speeds, etc. If you had just taken your IR checkride but went a single dot deflection on the ILS and passed, would you ask the DPE to give you another checkride? While I agree that someone who scores a 72 may at least need to do some more studying, a 92 is not in the grey area. Move on and spend time/effort somewhere that will make you a better pilot. I think the reason "troll" was mentioned is exactly because a 92 is not even close to the range where retaking should even require a conversation.....

I am a hopeless perfectionist and it's such a blow to my confidence, I am considering quitting flying. Not sure what to do at this point; would much appreciate any guidance.

Do not become a CFI. The dropout rate for Private Pilot is high enough already.

It’s good to set high standards for yourself, but I’m afraid you might be a bit unrealistic with this one. A 92 is a great score and nothing to be ashamed of, nor get emotional about. Chin up and keep going!

I took the ifr written today for the first time. Got 92 and was gunning for 100, since I made 98 on ppl with which I was also disappointed. Truth is, I knew the material inside out but suck at tests. Was so nervous going to the the test that I made three wrong turns trying to get there. Wonder if I am cut out for this? I am a hopeless perfectionist and it's such a blow to my confidence, I am considering quitting flying. Not sure what to do at this point; would much appreciate any guidance.

perfection is only achieved in death.
While living we always stumble, make a mistake, say something wrong, etc. if making one mistake or being 2 points off 100% on a written test has you ready to quit flying, you probably should. You are always gonna do something wrong, most likely something insignificant. But if that will distract you from enjoying flying, or cause more distraction this isn’t your game.

I hold myself to high standards too when taking tests.
I either pass the first time, or I'm doing it over. Period.

Are you serious?

My initial reaction as well.

I am not sure who is calling whom a troll? If it is I, I apologize. I'm new to the forum and last night I got a little desperate. I just got really emotional over it and, yes, I am a perfectionist!

We just got our first-ever airplane, a 1980 Mooney M20J, and I absolutely love her! Maybe just let bygones be bygones, cheer up and move on.

Aviation is often not very tolerant of inattention, sloppiness or a lack of discipline. Understandable why it would appeal to someone like yourself who is always challenging themselves to be "perfect".

However, there's a BIG difference between striving to improve and perform at a higher level (any pilot working towards an IFR is presumably indicative of wanting that) and being an obsessive/compulsive about it. Did you have a demanding parent who insisted you bring home straight "A"s?

Like most things in life, striving for "perfection" can be beneficial in moderation, destructive when taken to excess.

BTW, pictures of the Mooney please!! :)
:needpics:

A higher score on a test you already passed, runway behind you, and fuel not pumped into the plane before the flight.

What do they all have in common?

Back