IFR with sectionals

I'm aware of RAIM, etc., for panel mounts; was just more interested in whether the Dual was really necessary, or if the iPad GPS receiver was sufficient. In a 172, my Dual goes up on the glare shield, with Bluetooth connectivity to FF/iPad - one reason I bought the Dual, vice Bad Elf - the Dual is out of the way, and can see the sky, more or less unobstructed. In about 8 years of use, I haven't seen any accuracy/position differences between my Dual/iPad/FF combo and the Garmin in the panel. I have lost a Garmin twice (two different models) - once on an ILS, once enroute. The Dual/iPad stayed up, but those were just anecdotal, isolated events. And maybe FF just THOUGHT it was up.

Anyway, my iPad is getting long in the tooth, and I'll replace it soon - curious if the consensus is the iPad GPS is sufficient - not to stir up a ruckus, and not much interested in feedback on the practice, but I mostly use FF/iPad as primary en route, with the panel mount as semi-backup - basically, changes go in FF first, then when established, I do the Garmin knob twisting. Understand YMMV - given that as background, are the GPS receivers in newer iPads solid? Understand it's just opinions and impressions - would like to hear.

My iPad GPS hasn't given me issues thus far but I like my Stratux for WX and traffic in addition to the WAAS GPS...

Thanks, good to know. I have a panel mount that is WAAS, and displays traffic, and an Aera with a weather subscription (the ADS-B weather is sketchy)

We have a MFD in the Airbus, but it shows 1/100 of the info a moving map on an iPad does.

The good avionics always start in the smaller airplanes and work their way to the airliners.
Corporate --> Small GA --> Airlines
And the best features start in uncertified portables because it's cheap and easy to do.
Toy --> Corporate --> Small GA --> Airline

And the best features start in uncertified portables because it's cheap and easy to do.
Toy --> Corporate --> Small GA --> Airline
Garmin's portables are made by their consumer products division, same division that makes portable navigators for motor vehicles.

I fly exclusively with paper charts. I started my training with no gizmos and find that more electronics usually lead to more distraction. The bird I fly now has a 430 (non-waas) and that is a big step up for me.

I fly exclusively with paper charts. I started my training with no gizmos and find that more electronics usually lead to more distraction. The bird I fly now has a 430 (non-waas) and that is a big step up for me.
To each his own, except avionics with WAAS provides far more capability without adding distraction.

I use en-route charts to plot my route (/A fun times) and figure out my MEAs but when I fly I alsmost exclusevely use a sectional.

Is this a bad habit?
I use a paper sectional and a low chart on the iPad.

Why does anyone care what someone's personal minimums are? He's the pilot, and he can make the decision as he sees fit.

As I said earlier, I fly with a bunch of broken stuff at the airline. If it was pleasure flying there's no way I would fly with some of the inop items we go with.
Reading through this thread, I couldn't help but think of something I heard from Rod Machado, many years ago. Learned a lot from that guy over the years!
Always hated fumbling with paper charts in turbulence!
I'm one who also learn on steam gauges, paper charts and no autopilot. Took a ten year hiatus and came back to these wonderful, 'new fangled' tools ;).
Love the G1000, iPad/WingX pro, etc. Can I get from point A to point B without that stuff, yep. But if I have it at my disposal, I'm using it.

https://studentpilot.com/main/articles/aviation-articles/samurai-airmanship-by-rod-machado/
Samurai Airmanship by Rod Machado.

"We respect people of conviction. And no one would deny that airline pilots, adhering to their personal code of conduct, are respected. When an airline captain say, “Ladies and Gentlemen, we can’t go, it’s not safe,” most people are disappointed, some are even angry. But not one person jumps up and says, “Hey, what’s a matter buddy, are you chicken?” They respect the captain’s decision, because they know he or she is guided by a Bushido."

Last edited:
Back