IFR Upgrade

Leebarkley

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Lee Barkley
I have a VFR only panel and am looking to start IFR training but need to make a few upgrade first. I have a small budget to work with. Plane has a VOR and a NAV/COM. http://www.valavionics.com/ins-429.html This was suggested to me today, anyone used it before or know of someone who has? Or heard stories about if they are good or not? Thoughts?

Thanks

Currently you have a single radio and single CDI?

To the best of my knowledge, that can still work out for you if the rest of the aircraft passes the required inspections.

Correct I have a NAV/COM, COM and a single CDI VOR.....I tried putting a pic of the panel but it won't work.

Avionics shop said it will work, just curious if anyone has used it before, good or bad.

Before committing to this INS 429, do the numbers and math on getting something well known such as a KX155 and it's CDI with glideslope. There has to be some good serviceable ones out there in the used market for a decent price. And they are well known enough that if they ever need work, you can easily find a shop to do it.

Once you add the second radio, the utility value to you as PIC goes way WAY up.

It's super nice to have my primary frequencies on COM1 (Approach and Tower) and the secondary on COM2 (ASOS/ATIS and Ground) keyed in during my 20-miles to go approach setup. Then it's just a single button push to switch to the needed frequency when needed or instructed.

Then there is the fact that having the more typical 2nd Nav/Com will make the aircraft a bit easier to sell one day.

In any event, for the instrument rating training and practical test, you absolutely need something with a glide slope, either ILS or WAAS GPS with LPV, and ILS is probably a lot cheaper option.

Don't rule out the used market.

You can get a used dual king nav com stack with heads for not too much. Get on barnstormers, aso, trade a plane, and eBay.

eBay would be my first choice, better buyer protection.

Hi Lee.

I understand "small budget to work with" :).

I know absolutely nothing about the VAL NAV unit, but since you already have two COM's and the one VOR head, I think you are headed in the right direction, especially if your avionics shop likes it. My brother had a VAL radio in his airplane (sold now) and it always worked just fine. Using the VAL unit would likely be a little different from a KX155, but it would accomplish the same thing and for only $2 AMU's plus installation. Way back in the late 90's, a friend had a KX155 and GS head, plus marker beacon installed and it was in the neighborhood of $15 AMU's. A WAAS GPS would obviously be much better, but the price would also be much higher!

Did your avionics shop say what the installation cost would be?

They are saying install for that would be around a day so around 3,000ish total for equipment and labor

That sounds like a lot of money, but for a complete NAV unit, installed, I think it is very reasonable. Anything else suggested will probably run you at least twice that, and very likely more than twice (closer to 3X would be my guess).

That's how I started my IR training in my old aircraft. It's painful, but it can be done.

Narco made an all-in-one NAV/GS that can be had for not much money used, but Narco support is waning so might not be a long term solution.

That's how I did my IFR checkride a Narco MK-12D with a VOR head and a 2nd COM only radio. It can be done and it keeps the list of approaches you can fly pretty short.

Was it worth it? hell no

One piece of equipment that may come in handy is actually a DME since it will be handy for those crossing radial non-precision approaches and seem to be going for about $700 on ebay

Back