IFR Training

S

savant

I recently began my IFR training and would love any guidance everyone has to improve my IFR training experience. For example:
1. Has anyone used Virtual Flight Instructor-Instrument from Elite/Gleim?
2. Any recommendations on great IFR books to read?
3. Does time on FS 2004 help? Many programs suggest simulator time is very helpful, so maybe FS would add to that with lots of free time shooting approaches, etc.
4. Any other tips much appreciated!

I have a great CFI already, working in some older planes. Would you recommend a newer IFR panel, or is it better to learn on an older panel (2 VORs, 1 w GS) but without moving map, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Emery

savant said:
I recently began my IFR training and would love any guidance everyone has to improve my IFR training experience. For example:
3. Does time on FS 2004 help? Many programs suggest simulator time is very helpful, so maybe FS would add to that with lots of free time shooting approaches, etc.

I have a great CFI already, working in some older planes. Would you recommend a newer IFR panel, or is it better to learn on an older panel (2 VORs, 1 w GS) but without moving map, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Emery

Hmmm.

1.) I didn't have access to any sims, either real or PC based.
2.) Books? For my PP I went hog wild and bought all sorts of books. For IR, I used King for the written, and Instrument Flying Handbook, FAR/AIM, and PTS booklet for the rest.
3.) Again, no sim

Older vs. newer? All of our planes are 6-pack, so that wasn't an option, but I did have the choice on avionics. I choose to learn in the old plane, two digital FF navcoms, DME, ADF. Yup, learned NDB approaches.

After my checkride, I worked with some club instructors to learn the other stuff (HSI, IFR approved moving map GPS, coupled AP).

Sims are great for learning/practicing cross country IFR navigation and procedures without the interference of having to talk to ATC. Nice for doing a "dry run" to an airport and approach you going to actually fly. Having said that, you must ultimately be able to competently fly in IFR in a real airplane while talking to ATC in real conditions. A real airplane is the only way to get that experience, the more the better.

It is also a benefit to have the opportunity to fly several differently equipped airplanes as well.

savant said:
Bill Kershner's "Instrument Flight Manual" (the book that got me through the IR, although I used the 1st edition, not the current 6th) or Bob Gardner's "Complete Advanced Pilot."

3. Does time on FS 2004 help?
It can, when properly used as a part-task trainer under the supervision of a qualified instrument instructor (ground or flight) familiar with the programs capabilities and limitations. When used without that supervision to attempt tasks which have not yet been learned from the instructor, it can reinforce improper techniques and interfere with positive training.

It is best to work in the type of cockpit in which you will routinely fly instruments later.

savant said:

Emery
I have the Kershner, Jepp, and Machado. I like them all, but there are also problems with all of them.

I did use FS2002. I second Ron's thoughts on this program. Also, don't screw around when using the program. Put your kneeboard on your knee, get your timer out, etc. Yes, you will look like a dork.

I would suggest getting the rating over at least a few months. I know this is controversial, but I feel that flying through at least a couple of seasons gives you a good bit of practical experience. Also, you have more time to make the procedures part of your way of life.

I like the idea of training with the older panel. Newer panels make things easier, so train harder now and fly easier later. (But get a good checkout in any new avionics you will use.)

savant said:
Nope

savant said:
I read Dogan's, Kirchner's, Machado's and Jepp. I liked Machado's and Jepp the best

savant said:
Not at all
savant said:
Make sure you really, REALLY know how to trim the plane. Life is so much better in IFR flying when you can keep one finger on yoke to control the flight and the plane stays where you want it too. The procedures are just practice and knowing what the controller is about to tell you to do.

savant said:
Would you recommend a newer IFR panel, or is it better to learn on an older panel (2 VORs, 1 w GS) but without moving map,
I would learn on what you are going to fly the most and get some GPS time and approaches in. The rest can be learned when you need it.

wangmyers said:
Newer panels make things easier, so train harder now and fly easier later.

Isn't that the truth. The first few times I flew a coupled approach using the HSI, moving map, and coupled AP, I thought I was in heaven. I like.

savant said:
Emery

I truly enjoyed, John C. Eckalbar's IFR: A Structured Approach. My instructor was big on procedures and checklists. Mr. E's book follows this approach, sorry for the pun, very closely. I also used the Jeppesen IFR text as my bible. I combined that with Mr. Gardner's "The Complete Advanced Pilot".

Richard Collins': Flying IFR and The Perfect Flight were among my favorites.

I can't say enough about Dauntless Soft's Ground School for their exam prep and RideReady for the oral exam prep.

This doesn't replace your CFI-I, they are irreplaceable. Just remember, the plane is an expensive place to learn. I grew to have a love/hate relationship with the simulator. Loved the cost, but hated that it was far more difficult over the plane. The Instrument Rating is probably the most rewarding... I presume the CFI-I has to be the "holy grail" of ratings.

I had the Commercial in my eye from Jump Street... keep your flying goals in the forefront. Tell your CFI-I what you want out of aviation... best of luck. Keep us up to date.

Back