IFR training without GPS? (VOR, DME, glideslope only)

Completely agreed with that, it's even worse than a magenta line as far as getting you into trouble. At least the magenta line gives you an idea of where you are and where you're headed. HITS only give you an idea where the computer thinks you should be.

I'd love to see a system that gives airspace visualization and a visual glideslope though.

SVT will do that, HITS will give you your visualized path both vertically and horizontally, even without it, you still predictor and aim point for approaches.

As most have pointed out, as long as you train in the airplane you will fly this is fine. Plus, if you do start to fly an airplane with a GPS get a good check out in that GPS by a CFI who actually knows what they are doing.
More important is the instrument instruction you receive which should spend a good deal of time on the fundamentals of BI before shooting approaches.
Also doing a variety of approaches and not the same approaches over and over. I know some schools specialize in this- they spend 5 days teaching you the three approaches that will be on your check ride. Yeah, you'll pass the check ride... (This is NOT a slam on some of the short courses like PIC which does a very good job).
If approaches are not available some have mentioned simulators which, while not perfect, are great for teaching a light control touch and exposing a pilot to different approaches. Another method is to bring approaches to you. Change the frequency on a chart to a local VOR frequency and shoot the approach (of course do this VFR and make sure you stay clear of airspace conflicts). I've done the VOR/DME TACAN Z 15 @ KMTN in Kentucky, New York, Tennessee and Missouri this way. It's part of my "graduation test" for instrument students.

Another method is to bring approaches to you. Change the frequency on a chart to a local VOR frequency and shoot the approach (of course do this VFR and make sure you stay clear of airspace conflicts).
:confused: I am not sure what you mean.

:confused: I am not sure what you mean.

Here is the KMTN VOR/DME TACAN Z 15:
http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1401/05222VDTZ15.PDF

It is based on the BAL VOR 115.1.

I currently teach around the KCKV area:
http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=36.622&lon=-87.415&zoom=10

The CKV VOR frequency is 110.6.

I print out the VOR/DME TACAN Z 15. I white out the BAL box and replace it with the CKV box. I then have the pilot fly this approach using the CKV VOR. Altitudes work fine in this case. Works for VORs/DMEs and NDB approaches. Harder with ILS approaches, though I have hunted around and found some LOC BC courses I can do this with at airports with localizers. NDB approaches I can also substitute AM radio stations. That's really great as I can make the pilot listen to salsa music or talk radio during the approach as a distraction.
Pilot executes the entire approach. When the get to the MAP, there is no runway so they execute the missed.

Approaches in mountainous terrain work great as in TN I don't need to worry about obstacles and can often be above airspace.

Of course this is done under VMC only.

Back