IFR training resources

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
I'm beginning to work in earnest on my instrument rating. I've found the discussions on this board to be invaluable in my general flying, but I'd like to start immersing myself more in resources more specific to IFR operations. Are there any decent magazines/blogs/websites etc. that are decent and do a good job of discussing the REAL aspects of operating in instrument conditions. I'm looking for resources that discuss the things that I won't learn about during my instrument training. Things such as weather, the REAL lost comm rules (as per Ron's newly acquired FAA opinion letter), tips/tricks, etc.

I see there is IFR magazine. Any good? What else?

I've found the most helpful thing is to have local mentors who fly real IFR a lot. Preferably all over the country, but locally is what is most important to you, at least to start. The realities of IFR flight do seem to vary depending on where you go. Flying from Connecticut to Oklahoma a few weeks back illustrated that to me, primarily with little details in dealing with controllers and such.

Yep, IFR Magazine is definitely a good one.

- Russ

I feel that IFR is about the only thing worth reading anymore. I give a subscription for all my instrument students for 1 year as a gift once they get there ticket. I do this because I know many of them will not really fly in IMC all the time and I feel that reading it can not only knock some rust off but really explain the "real world" aspects of IFR. In IFR there are endless techniques, tricks and variations of theory that are for sure worth learning. ASF as many online courses that are terrific as well.

Last edited:
Try to focus on what is real. That which is common, and likely, and reasonable. There are a lot of "resources" that will drive you nuts with interminable conversations, often legal haranging of very unlikely events. For example, 99.9% of the real world is not like internet forum discussions! Filter what you read.

I just purchased my subscription. Thanks all.

Back