IFR training questions

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Part 61 v. Part 141: I've read many of the discussions about the differences and pros/cons of which Part to do your PPL under. I would like to hear similar discussion as applied to IFR training.

Instructor Selection: while all the points that are well known regarding finding a good PPL instructor apply, what else should I know to find and evaluate a good IFR instructor? I already have on my list:
  • Lots and lots of real world experience
  • Instructing because they have a passion for turning out good pilots, not building time for next job
  • Willingness to take advantage of any Non-convective IMC days so I can get some actual time.
  • Willingness to make use of Sims
  • Familiarity with the panel equipment (GPS and Autopilots) and ability to teach proper usage and how I'll be tested on same

Thanks for the input!

Part 61 v. Part 141: I've read many of the discussions about the differences and pros/cons of which Part to do your PPL under. I would like to hear similar discussion as applied to IFR training.
This depends largely on what training and experience you've had already, and your financing.

The 141 program is 35 hours of all dual with them (with some allowance for prior IR training up to half the total required time after you take an evaluation ride with the 141 school), and requires you do their ground training program, but gets around the 50 hours XC PIC requirement. 141 also allows you to apply a lot of state and Federal money such as VA.

Part 61 allows you to build a lot of the required 40 hours of total instrument time on your own with a non-instructor safety pilot, and to complete the rating with as little as 15 hours of time with an instrument instructor. However, you must have at least 50 hours of XC PIC time before you take the practical test, and generally speaking, governmental agencies will not fund it.
Instructor Selection: while all the points that are well known regarding finding a good PPL instructor apply, what else should I know to find and evaluate a good IFR instructor? I already have on my list:
  • Lots and lots of real world experience
  • Instructing because they have a passion for turning out good pilots, not building time for next job
  • Willingness to take advantage of any Non-convective IMC days so I can get some actual time.
  • Willingness to make use of Sims
  • Familiarity with the panel equipment (GPS and Autopilots) and ability to teach proper usage and how I'll be tested on same
All good points, to which I can only add access to an appropriate sim and experience giving sim training. Availability can also be an issue, depending on how you want to do the program.

Mike,

can't tell you much about the differences and Ron has covered those well, as usual.

I went Part 61 with the same folks I did the majority of my PPL with. I flew a little over 40 hours with my CFII. Towards the end of that time I spent around 14 hours with a friend as safety pilot to make sure I knew when and where to do everything and getting all the buttonology correct without the CFII there to remind me or do it for me.

In the end I was happy.

I did my PPL part 141 and enjoyed it. I'm doing my IFR part 61 and per my thread on here I am having some issues. My school still teaches 61 identically to their 141 which is likely part of my problem. Before I started officially training I did some flights with a couple very experienced (read: midwest freight dogs) pilots and I did a lot of IFR flying. If I could have done me entire IFR rating with those two pilots I would have because they have more IMC experience in a week than even the most experienced CFI down here ever.. I don't like sims, but people may not agree with me on that... I think that you should practice how you plan to fly. And unless you plan on flying in front of a computer screen that's not happening in a sim.

hi Mike:
I am going to do part 61.
do you have access to a sim. I am cosidering Microsoft's flight simulator

hi Mike:
I am going to do part 61.
do you have access to a sim. I am cosidering Microsoft's flight simulator
Is there an approved ATD which uses MSFS for its software? In any event, it's the certified hardware which usually runs the cost of the full approved system system past where the individual pilot considers it affordable.

Back