IFR training mid-December. Where to go?

KaiGywer

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KaiGywer
So I am in the situation of being a procrastinator... If I don't complete my IFR training by January, I have to retake my IFR written. So with that being said, I am looking for somewhere in the country where I can finish up training and take the checkride Dec 10-13 (time off from work those days).

All my "legal requirements" (XC time etc.) are met, so it would be basically hammer out checkride and oral prep for a couple days and get capable and confident enough to pass it. All my training so far is with six-pack planes, but I wouldn't be opposed to glass if the price is right.

I can travel anywhere in the country, but would prefer somewhere southern-ish to avoid weather delays. Also prefer somewhere "cheap" with regards to rental/instruction and hotel. And of course the kicker...DPE availability.

Curious where are you at that you can’t train locally?

Bismark, ND. KBIS

Pretty much anywhere in bottom half of Arizona or all of FloridaG

Curious where are you at that you can’t train locally?
Bismarck, ND. Lack of DPE and generally inconsistent weather in December. With my luck, there would be a blizzard that week.

I just talked to a guy at 1 vision flight academy in Sioux City, Iowa. (KSUX) He told me that he was available every weekend except for one until the first of the year for accelerated training. I have no idea what he charges but he's at least available and not that far from you. He also told me that he's not afraid of actual and that if there's concerns on icing, he heads south to warmer air. That would also cover your IFR cross country. Good luck!!!

Look at Florida,plenty of flight schools that can probably meet your mission.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have contacted a few so we'll see where I end up and hopefully trade in that PP-ASEL plastic card for a piece of paper next month

Well, I did it :) Arrived at Riggin Flight Service in Madison, SD on Monday morning and walked out with a temporary instrument ticket and tailwheel endorsement on Saturday. Only had one day down due to weather, and managed to bust my IFR ride the first time on Friday because of a brain fart (VOR reverse sensing). Went back up Saturday and finished it. For those looking for a place to train, I have nothing but good things to say about Riggin.
48377395_10103160522599810_2397559132421881856_n.jpg

GTFO! You finished in a 170 and got the tailwheel endorsement!!

Awesome. I'm so jealous. Happy new year to you (and maybe Merry Xmas - your call).

Congratulations!

Glad to read that you got it done. We’ve had a pretty good fall in the Midwest for flyable weather and actual instrument conditions.

GTFO! You finished in a 170 and got the tailwheel endorsement!!

Awesome. I'm so jealous. Happy new year to you (and maybe Merry Xmas - your call).
140, but yeah, it was a blast :) Thanks. Happy new year and merry Christmas to you too.

Congratulations!

Glad to read that you got it done. We’ve had a pretty good fall in the Midwest for flyable weather and actual instrument conditions.
Yeah, it was beautiful there except the one day of 1/4 mile and freezing fog all day.

Just saw this and was going to recommend the southeast this week, but you’ve already completed the ride. Congrats!

Back