IFR Training App

Deelee

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Deelee
I did a search on this forum and also the Googles/Interwebs to find a good IFR app that is good for practicing IFR procedures such as VOR tracking and especially holds - mainly getting a hold clearance, identifying the correct holding pattern based on a fix and then determining the proper entry for the aforementioned hold.

I came across:
IFR Flight Trainer Simulator (by FLyGo)
VOR Tracker
Pilotscafe bundle (Holding pattern trainer and nav trainer pro included)

Lots of good and bad reviews for each, but I can't pick one.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I should mention I have the sporty's video IR course and have been reading the FAA pubs (IFH and IPH). I also have xPlane 11 and VR so I have been practicing some instrument stuff there, but it requires some set up (and for me to be home). This is more for just practicing the radio nav and holding pattern stuff while at work or anywhere I have a phone.
Thanks for any help!

Nav Trainer Pro is what I use for iOS devices.

Which holding pattern based on your position to fix and the clearance details is an easy to learn concept. The Sporty's videos and the IFH/IPH will take care of this.

I’m in your shoes. I think xplane is the best solution for home. Not sure if additional apps would be super helpful. Maybe just dedicate extra time to studying the written? Or audio record your lessons and listen to them while working?

Yes, I love xPlane especially for IR. I can set up the weather for overcast to 700' and fly the SID from my home airport to one about 60 nm away and fly various approaches. It is amazing in VR, too. Not great for VFR training, but as a game and as something just fun to use, it is really accurate. For IR, it seems good since the 6-pack and CDI look just like the one in the 172 I fly. The 530 is similar enough to the 430w in the real 172 to make instrument flying very accurate. I also have an app that allows me to pull up geo-referenced approach plates in VR so it sort of mimics having foreflight/garmin pilot on my real iPad.

To your second point - yes, I'm just going to focus on finishing up reading the IPH for now and focusing on studying for the written. I finished the IFH already. Then I'm going to re-watch the sporty's videos. By then I should be almost ready for the written and will be starting with my CFII at that point, too.

Back