IFR Student.

ksandrew

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ksandrew
Any advice for an old bastard like myself, turned 70 last week ( that is 21 Celsius) and fly regularly. I got my PPL in England in 1968 and then did it again in the USA. Got my IR in about 1977.

Number of hours are lost as the log books burned up with the planes. For insurance purposes I claim 1500 hours.

I have not talked to flight service since the last time I walked into one.

I feel that I may be a little bit behind the times. I have the Aspen Pro1000 but never look at it. I use the steam gauges. The GNX480 I understand and use, the MX20 is fine and I have a S-Tec50.

So here is the plan.

Find some young punk instructor, one that does not even shave yet. But needs to build some hours instructing, and is hungry. Pay him $20.00 per hour to train me.
I will cover the steam gauges with duct tape. only use the Aspen.

Go through the whole IR training and see what I learn. Swap ideas with the young man and teach each other.

I am very computer literate, use foreflight with Stratus2, update my data bases from Jeppesen etc..

So would taking the IR training again from step one, bring me up to date with all the modern ways?.

Any thoughts.

Ken

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. I believe Garmin has simulators for their equipment. Or talk to the flight school and see if you can sit in the plane and work with them

Another idea.... Call Professional Instrument Courses (1-800-IFLYIFR), talk to Donn H. and see about getting a very well seasoned IFR instructor to come to you for a refresher course. Our own Ron Levy is associated with them.

You might have to up the training budget some, but I firmly believe you will be happier with the end result.

Last edited:
Any advice for an old bastard like myself, turned 70 last week ( that is 21 Celsius) and fly regularly. I got my PPL in England in 1968 and then did it again in the USA. Got my IR in about 1977.

Number of hours are lost as the log books burned up with the planes. For insurance purposes I claim 1500 hours.

I have not talked to flight service since the last time I walked into one.

I feel that I may be a little bit behind the times. I have the Aspen Pro1000 but never look at it. I use the steam gauges. The GNX480 I understand and use, the MX20 is fine and I have a S-Tec50.

So here is the plan.

Find some young punk instructor, one that does not even shave yet. But needs to build some hours instructing, and is hungry. Pay him $20.00 per hour to train me.
I will cover the steam gauges with duct tape. only use the Aspen.

Go through the whole IR training and see what I learn. Swap ideas with the young man and teach each other.

I am very computer literate, use foreflight with Stratus2, update my data bases from Jeppesen etc..

So would taking the IR training again from step one, bring me up to date with all the modern ways?.

Any thoughts.

Ken

When was the last time you had an instrument proficiency check with a CFI?

Back