IFR Routes Through Class B

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
I was over reading the article on the AOPA board regarding the new IFR routes through Class B - anybody surprised O'Hare ain't even on the future list??
:(

What light aircraft in my turbojet space? "I don't see no steenken flivver!"

You can fuggedabout Chicago, (or STL) for that matter. They won't change until the leadership at C90 (Elgin, IL) changes, and that's not happening anytime soon.

Last edited:
No, I am not suprised at all.

Well, I AM surprised that Cincinnati is on the list.

After my last trip (With a 40 mile detour) Approach told me that no-way, no-how for going through the Class B, even landing at a reliever within the 20-mile radius. The local folks cancel IFR, go over the top, and land under the shelf. Danger Will Robinson!

I thought the Cincy Class B was also managed by the Great Lakes Region???? :confused:

Class B is tough for everyone, especially when its busy. I'm not suprised about O'H. I know when I'm in the Lear in the B at CLT and its busy and I'm doing the speed limit in "Indian Country" I'm sooo busy looking for traffic its tough to run checks. But if everyone is on a route I guess that would help. What do you guys think is the reason?

Eric Davis said:
Class B is tough for everyone, especially when its busy. I'm not suprised about O'H. I know when I'm in the Lear in the B at CLT and its busy and I'm doing the speed limit in "Indian Country" I'm sooo busy looking for traffic its tough to run checks. But if everyone is on a route I guess that would help. What do you guys think is the reason?

Dallas seems to work with us better than some other Class B areas!! Departed yesterday for Palm Springs and they put me right over DFW at 4,000 on the was west. Several times I've called from east or west and asked for clearance through the B and received it; of course, at times they're just too busy and I have to fly at least part way around. We meet with the TRACON, tower, and Approach folks at least every year or two and the relationship is very positive.

Sorry it's more of a problem in other areas.

Best,

Dave S

wsuffa said:
Well, I AM surprised that Cincinnati is on the list.

After my last trip (With a 40 mile detour) Approach told me that no-way, no-how for going through the Class B, even landing at a reliever within the 20-mile radius. The local folks cancel IFR, go over the top, and land under the shelf. Danger Will Robinson!

I thought the Cincy Class B was also managed by the Great Lakes Region???? :confused:

A predefined IFR route through the Class B should make such routings easier on the controllers than a bunch of unspecified ones. I think it's a great idea.

lancefisher said:
A predefined IFR route through the Class B should make such routings easier on the controllers than a bunch of unspecified ones. I think it's a great idea.

I agree. However, you have to make sure the approach supes will agree. Dick Madding told me that the Cincy Supe had established a rule: no overflights above the airport.

Dave Siciliano said:
Dallas seems to work with us better than some other Class B areas!! Departed yesterday for Palm Springs and they put me right over DFW at 4,000 on the was west. Several times I've called from east or west and asked for clearance through the B and received it; of course, at times they're just too busy and I have to fly at least part way around. We meet with the TRACON, tower, and Approach folks at least every year or two and the relationship is very positive.

Sorry it's more of a problem in other areas.

Best,

Dave S

Dave says a mouthfull there... the guys arond here are great. Counting our blessings...

SCCutler said:
Dave says a mouthfull there... the guys arond here are great. Counting our blessings...

Yep. Dallas is probably the best Class Bravo I've been in. The Cincy controllers were a bit snotty to me when I asked how I might get a better clearance next time. I replied by asking why Dallas did a much better job even though it had more airports.....

Back