IFR Question

Chris Connor

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
helopilot2be
A friend took the IFR Class at UMBC he is taking his final tomorrow. I asked him when he was going to take the FAA written and he told me his instructor wasn't sure if he could give him the authorization or not. My friend has his Comm Helo and the instructor CFII airplane and is unsure.
Thanks,
Chris

Chris Connor said:
A friend took the IFR Class at UMBC he is taking his final tomorrow. I asked him when he was going to take the FAA written and he told me his instructor wasn't sure if he could give him the authorization or not. My friend has his Comm Helo and the instructor CFII airplane and is unsure.
Thanks,
Chris

Unless there was something special about mine, I took the final in my Part 141 IFR Ground School class, and as long as I got an 80% or higher, the instructor signed off for the written.

This was through college.

I know the "checkride" counts against the CFI if a student fails...But does the written?? Why would he not let him take it?

Chris Connor said:
Thanks,
Chris

If the apparent conflict is between your friend doing Instrument rotor and the II being instrument airplane, I don't think that matters for the written, but I don't think he can sign him off for the check.

Henning said:
If the apparent conflict is between your friend doing Instrument rotor and the II being instrument airplane, I don't think that matters for the written, but I don't think he can sign him off for the check.

I answered this one over on the red board. I believe the answer is no since the CFI lacks -I R/H on his/her certificate(s). The applicable regulation is the same one that limits signing for practical tests, just a separate sub-clause (61.193(i) versus (h)). This is one of those cases where an AGI comes in handy even if the person holds a CFI certificate.

Ed Guthrie said:
I answered this one over on the red board. I believe the answer is no since the CFI lacks -I R/H on his/her certificate(s). The applicable regulation is the same one that limits signing for practical tests, just a separate sub-clause (61.193(i) versus (h)). This is one of those cases where an AGI comes in handy even if the person holds a CFI certificate.
Thanks for the answers (on both boards Ed :eek:) )
I will let him know what the concensus is.
Chris

Chris Connor said:
Thanks for the answers (on both boards Ed :eek:) )
I will let him know what the concensus is.
Rather than go on that, why not call (410) 787-0040 and ask one of the Operations Inspectors? You'll get an answer that will be reliable in the Baltimore area, since if there's any question, that's where the examiner will call to ask.

Back