IFR prep course...Dauntless

drmax

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
drmax
Hello. I have my ASA IFR test prep books and 1/2 way through. I've considering purchasing Dauntless (or something simular) for online questioning. They have a low price and seems fairly good rep. Anyone comment on them, or another company to help me with passing written exam? Thank you, DM

Dauntless is fine. I used it and shepard air for my instrument.

mypilottests

I also found this last night and used it for the 1st 2 chapters, being weather.
http://www.mypilottests dot com

It seemed to be very useful and wondering if is as good as the Dauntless.
Its a donation based website. The questions and exam figures correlate directly to my ASA books.

I used it for my CFI/FOI and now I'm using it for my CFII. I really like it because you can send your results to their website and you can look at charts of your progress in 20, 50, and 100 question averages along with the different areas of questions. I recommend it.

I used it for my CFI/FOI and now I'm using it for my CFII. I really like it because you can send your results to their website and you can look at charts of your progress in 20, 50, and 100 question averages along with the different areas of questions. I recommend it.

U used which?

Dauntless or Sheppard, it's the same kinda deal.

The biggest factor is

A. You can update to the new questions

B. You have the option to show the correct answer immediately if you get it wrong.

Both programs and the king program that comes with the videos, does this.

Dauntless or Sheppard, it's the same kinda deal.

The biggest factor is

A. You can update to the new questions

B. You have the option to show the correct answer immediately if you get it wrong.

Both programs and the king program that comes with the videos, does this.
Do either have the "figures" charts or diagrams, as you'd need these if one did not have the books? Thx for the info. I also noticed you have to download the Dauntless, which is a hangup for me because I'd like to use this at work. I like the idea of being able to simply open it up and use it on the net. Is Sheppard the same way, as in having to download it to pc?

Do either have the "figures" charts or diagrams, as you'd need these if one did not have the books? Thx for the info. I also noticed you have to download the Dauntless, which is a hangup for me because I'd like to use this at work. I like the idea of being able to simply open it up and use it on the net. Is Sheppard the same way, as in having to download it to pc?

All three have the diagrams and everything you need for the tests, they have been making these programs long enough they got er' down.

I'm not sure which, but I remember one of them offered a online program that you could do from work, I'd just check out their websites and pick the one that you like.

U used which?
Dauntless.

Yeah they do. But you don't need to be online to see them or to use the app. You only need to be online to send your results to their server if you want to track your results, or to update the question database. I use it offline a lot.

All three have the diagrams and everything you need for the tests, they have been making these programs long enough they got er' down.

I'm not sure which, but I remember one of them offered a online program that you could do from work, I'd just check out their websites and pick the one that you like.
10/4 roger wilco

It's not sheppard or dauntless, so the only other one I saw mentioned here was King. I'll see what they offer. Otherwise I may stick with this free one I listed in one of my posts. Thanks
Update...I don't see it being King and they are pricey. If it comes to mind, let me know and thank you. I'll keep searching.

Last edited:
I used Dauntless and just took my IR written about 10 days ago. I used their app and I recognized around 45-50 of the 63 questions on the actual written. It worked for me. I just took 3-4 practice tests each night for a week or so. Missed 5 in all on the written.

The last 8 questions on my test were all on the subject of icing. I have heard rumors that they have put some extra emphasis on that area lately.

Happy with Dauntless. Used it for CFII and FOI writtens.

For the private, instrument and commercial I used Sporty's Study Buddy app for ipad. I would have used it for the CFII and FOI but they didn't have an app for those :(

I used Dauntless back when it was brand new. Actually identified and helped them correct a number of IR questions where their answers were wrong. (Good learning exercise, that.)

Missed two questions on my PPL, got 100% on the IR, then got lazy/didn't work so hard and missed three questions on my Commercial.

I used it for my private and went back to it for instrument. I thought it was great. Love the ability to stack the questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 days ago I purchased Dauntless for my Comm written..working 1-2 sections per day, then reviewing all the previous sections in addition to the one I'm learning that day for muscle memory..seems to work so far and hopefully it'll work when I take the actual test.

The last 8 questions on my test were all on the subject of icing. I have heard rumors that they have put some extra emphasis on that area lately.

I think they were piloting those questions when I took the IR written a few years ago. They weren't in the test prep class from King at the time. Given the problem of icing in clouds this is an appropriate area for them to test. Much better than questions about instruments in the panel that you may never see, either because of cost or obsolescence.

Back