IFR out of Half Moon Bay (Part 2)

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
Part 1 of this two-part series had copilot Brian flying the approach to minimums at Half Moon Bay (KHAF). After a great lunch, we now get to depart through Low IFR… and reinforce an important lesson. Welcome aboard! Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot

Isn't posting to the Internet without pictures of your lunch a violation of some unwritten rule? ;)

Isn't posting to the Internet without pictures of your lunch a violation of some unwritten rule? ;)
Ooops, sorry. My omelet and Bill and Brian's sandwiches were all very tasty. :)
Wayne

Part 1 of this two-part series had copilot Brian flying the approach to minimums at Half Moon Bay (KHAF). After a great lunch, we now get to depart through Low IFR… and reinforce an important lesson. Welcome aboard! Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot
You did the VOR or GPS RWY 25 Approach. You wanted to do it green needles. You requested the GPS 25. Why not the VOR 25, it's what you were going to do. It's all pretty much the same but it can make a difference to the Controller. In certain conditions they can turn you in a little sooner on the VOR than the GPS. Not by much, but when there is other traffic that will be following you on the Approach it can matter. You did check in with Tower with VOR 25 but by then it made no difference.

You did the VOR or GPS RWY 25 Approach. You wanted to do it green needles. You requested the GPS 25. Why not the VOR 25, it's what you were going to do. It's all pretty much the same but it can make a difference to the Controller. In certain conditions they can turn you in a little sooner on the VOR than the GPS. Not by much, but when there is other traffic that will be following you on the Approach it can matter. You did check in with Tower with VOR 25 but by then it made no difference.
Good point... my request for GPS 25 (habitual) should have indeed been a request for VOR 25, even though as we intended, Brian of course flew green needles. Thanks for the clarification that it might make a difference to ATC; I'd never thought that through.
Wayne

Good point... my request for GPS 25 (habitual) should have indeed been a request for VOR 25, even though as we intended, Brian of course flew green needles. Thanks for the clarification that it might make a difference to ATC; I'd never thought that through.
Wayne
When the weather is good enough, or you request, they can tuck you in a little tighter.

5−9−1. VECTORS TO FINAL APPROACH COURSE
Except as provided in paragraph 7−4−2, Vectors for Visual Approach, vector arriving aircraft to intercept the final approach course:
a. At least 2 miles outside the approach gate unless one of the following exists:
1. When the reported ceiling is at least 500 feet above the MVA/MIA and the visibility is at least 3 miles (report may be a PIREP if no weather is reported for the airport), aircraft may be vectored to intercept the final approach course closer than 2 miles outside the approach gate but no closer than the approach gate.
2. If specifically requested by the pilot, aircraft may be vectored to intercept the final approach course inside the approach gate but no closer than the final approach fix.
EXCEPTION. Conditions 1 and 2 above do not apply to RNAV aircraft being vectored for a GPS or RNAV approach.

When the weather is good enough, or you request, they can tuck you in a little tighter.
EXCEPTION. Conditions 1 and 2 above do not apply to RNAV aircraft being vectored for a GPS or RNAV approach.
Good stuff... thx!
I'd be curious what the logic is for exception... seems that navigating (at last since 1990) via RNAV is much more precise than navigating by VOR or LOC... and therefore being turned in closer to the FAF would make MORE sense for RNAV. Hmmm.

Good stuff... thx!
I'd be curious what the logic is for exception... seems that navigating (at last since 1990) via RNAV is much more precise than navigating by VOR or LOC... and therefore being turned in closer to the FAF would make MORE sense for RNAV. Hmmm.
Check the manuals of your RNAV/GPS boxes. You'll probably see a thing that says you need to be on, or very near to, the final approach course a certain number of miles before the FAF in order for things to work right.

Back