IFR Oral gotcha questions

I know you weren't suggesting it. That would be way out of character for you (and me, for that matter). I could, however, see a DPE asking me a question like this to test my judgment.

wangmyers said:
I know you weren't suggesting it. That would be way out of character for you (and me, for that matter). I could, however, see a DPE asking me a question like this to test my judgment.

Actually, Ben, that is exactly the situation that I was discussing with a DE last week.

Look at the VOR-A for Kerrville. Kerrville is Class G to 700', Class E above. The runway with instrument markings is Runway 12/30. Left traffic. Kerrville is relatively rural - since the definition of congested area is not well defined, it's not really clear whether 500' or 1000' AGL minimum altitudes apply.

His question to me was: if you fly the VOR-A approach, can you (i.e. is it legal to) make a RIGHT base turn to Runway 12. Presuming, of course, it's legal to fly at or above 500' AGL here, what would happen if Joe Piper Cub were putting around the normal LEFT pattern at 700' AGL. If you end up prop to prop turning final, who's legal?

Legal doesn't always equal safe, and vice versa.

Also, there is always the option of SPecial VFR. See the thread that I had with Ron about altitude violations.

Last edited:
Back