IFR magazine

noobJohn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John
I received something in the mail offering a subscription to IFR magazine.

Anyone get this magazine? Is it worthwhile?

I get IFR Refresher. It's a good mag.

Which is better? I replied to the free issue offer from IFR magazine to check it out.

Which is better? I replied to the free issue offer from IFR magazine to check it out.

Used to have both but dropped IFR for IFR Refresher. I like the quizzes in the back and each issue has an accident story with excellent learning points.

IFR was a little more advanced and covered topics above and beyond the basics of IFR Refresher. Refresher sticks to topics that you'll need to a rating. IFR for dissecting procedures in depth and tricks from the professionals.

I get a scad of aviation magazines, but the one that I could not do without is IFR. IFR Refresher is OK but is not a match for IFR.

Bob Gardner

I get a scad of aviation magazines, but the one that I could not do without is IFR. IFR Refresher is OK but is not a match for IFR.

Bob Gardner

I feel the same. I got one year of IFR Refresher, but dropped it. IFR challenges my brain and I always learn something new.

Its a good read, I have gotten it for about a year now and will renew.

Not a magazine, but I'll toss in a mention for www.pilotworkshops.com

I have purchased some of their products for IFR and find the content good stuff and a good value for the money spent.

Get on their free mailing list at the very least. Periodically they run reduced price specials on the various products and this is how you find out about the good deals.

Cool I'll try out both as I work toward completion of my instrument rating. On a side note, I'm a big fan of Aviation Consumer and Light Plane maintenance for good insights and tips on aircraft ownership and maintenance. Here in San Diego, we are getting back to back convective weather like thunderstorms, earthquake and rain floods from El Niño!

Scott

I get IFR Refresher. It's a good mag.

You have got to be kidding me. It's better than it was with their previous inane editor, but it's still horrendously awful.

The problem with both IFR and Aviation Consumer is that while they have good articles they draw from the same bunch of contributors over and over again. After subscribing for a couple of years you get tired of reading the same old stuff and being abused by Belmont's obnoxious marketing/subscription department so you let it expire until you forget why and sign up again.

You have got to be kidding me. It's better than it was with their previous inane editor, but it's still horrendously awful.

The problem with both IFR and Aviation Consumer is that while they have good articles they draw from the same bunch of contributors over and over again. After subscribing for a couple of years you get tired of reading the same old stuff and being abused by Belmont's obnoxious marketing/subscription department so you let it expire until you forget why and sign up again.

Same could be said for most of the mags. I don't know how many times I've seen the same recycled material in all the aviation mags I get. P&P and Kitplanes are the worst. Dropped them years ago.

Air & Space and Warbird Digest are the only two I look forward to getting these days. Best mag was Pilot Mag. Why that magazine didn't survive but yet something boring like P&P does is beyond me.

+1 for Air and Space and Warbird Digest! Awesome mags. Air and Space had a nice write up on the AT-6 Texan one of my all time favorite aircraft.

Well then if you know it is so awful, you must be a subscriber. Correct?

I was but after reading one inane article and one blatantly incorrect one I declined to renew.

Same could be said for most of the mags. I don't know how many times I've seen the same recycled material in all the aviation mags I get. P&P and Kitplanes are the worst. Dropped them years ago.
Unless you are reading about new technology or procedures, there are only a certain finite number of subjects to write about in these types of magazines. After a few years I would expect some repeats, especially since they get new subscribers who might not have read about the subject the first (or second or third) time. I don't know what the solution is.

I've noticed 'Flying" and AOPA mag have articles on the same plane/subject before, in same months issues.

Last edited:
Unless you are reading about new technology or procedures, there are only a certain finite number of subjects to write about in these types of magazines. After a few years I would expect some repeats, especially since they get new subscribers who might not have read about the subject the first (or second or third) time. I don't know what the solution is.

I agree. The majority of topics and been covered already so they have no choice but to rehash that stuff. I can only read about how to perfect my crosswind landings so many times though.

Another thing I see is they all have similar articles amongst them. A new aircraft like the Icon comes out and they'll all put in in their newest issue. I'm expecting to see the new certification of the Epic in both Flying and AOPA soon. Just don't know why they don't offset that stuff.

Two magazines I miss are P&P's Pilot Journal and Pilot Mag. Both had refreshing stories about aircraft and the people who fly them. Good aircraft reviews and excellent air to air photography. These other mags just seem to give too many technical articles or "there I was" stories that we've all read before.

Air & Space and Warbird Digest are the only two I look forward to getting these days. Best mag was Pilot Mag. Why that magazine didn't survive but yet something boring like P&P does is beyond me.

You and Flying Ron have the same problem: you have forgotten that every year there is a a new crop of readers who have never read the articles you complain about and they need the information that you learned and assimilated over the years. Why do you think that articles on winter flying and icing show up over and over again.

Bob Gardner

You and Flying Ron have the same problem: you have forgotten that every year there is a a new crop of readers who have never read the articles you complain about and they need the information that you learned and assimilated over the years. Why do you think that articles on winter flying and icing show up over and over again.

Bob Gardner

Well in a way these magazines are like POA. We talk about the same stuff over and over again because most aviation topics are cyclic. Won't be long before we have threads on proper pattern entry, HILPT and the overhead. Still, it doesn't keep me away from POA because every now and then we cover something that hasn't been discussed before.

Well in a way these magazines are like POA. We talk about the same stuff over and over again because most aviation topics are cyclic. Won't be long before we have threads on proper pattern entry, HILPT and the overhead. Still, it doesn't keep me away from POA because every now and then we cover something that hasn't been discussed before.

Amen to that. :yes:

Has anyone written about the "one wheel all the way down the runway" method of mastering crosswinds. Ive never really done it except in my plane, an Aviat Husky, but I can do it safely and wow, does it get you confident and capable for crosswind landings. Complete with photos! I dont suppose these magazines pay anything to their writers do they?

Has anyone written about the "one wheel all the way down the runway" method of mastering crosswinds. Ive never really done it except in my plane, an Aviat Husky, but I can do it safely and wow, does it get you confident and capable for crosswind landings. Complete with photos! I dont suppose these magazines pay anything to their writers do they?

Bob Hoover has in his book! Believe it was the yellow Mustang ("Old Yella") he flew at airshows. Maybe a youtube video on it? :dunno:

Last edited:

I have, but there is no way I could go back and identify the post.

Bob Gardner

IFR is by far my favorite magazine. I really enjoy Aviation Safety too. Others, eh.

Amen to that. :yes:
I recently subscribed to Plane & Pilot, very 'repetitive' magazine but the subscription was so inexpensive that it wasn't worth to reject it, definitely worth the price. To me FLYING is the least repetitive publication in this field but your experience may vary.

Is it me or is FLYING starting to slim down? Seems like the last few months it didn't have nearly the content it used to have.

I liked IFR magazine over IFR refresher. IFR refresher hurt my head to read. IFR magazine seemed to lean toward the more practical part of IFR flying.

Is it me or is FLYING starting to slim down?
You are right and I once made this observation on this forum. It is definitely slimming down. Plus the new owners fired quite a few editors-in-chief recently. Who knows where it is heading. I still like it for (IMHO) very original writings of Peter Garrison, Dick Karl or John & Martha King. If Peter goes away - I would have no reason to continue subscription.

IFR refresher is just too basic. I much prefer IFR.

Back