IFR Lost Comm - KTUS

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
So let's say I am flying from the east on V16 and the last bit of what I filed was V16 TUS KTUS. I lost comms just east of the Tuscon VOR and it is IFR conditions.

If I was shooting the ILS RWY 11L then I would hold at the TUS VOR until my ETA and then proceed outbound on the 303 radial and make my procedure turn to get established on the inbound course.

What would be the proper procedure if you were going to do the VOR RWY29R or LOC BC 29R?

Thanks

So let's say I am flying from the east on V16 and the last bit of what I filed was V16 TUS KTUS. I lost comms just east of the Tuscon VOR and it is IFR conditions.

If I was shooting the ILS RWY 11L then I would hold at the TUS VOR until my EFC time and then proceed outbound on the 303 radial and make my procedure turn to get established on the inbound course.

What would be the proper procedure if you were going to do the VOR RWY29R or LOC BC 29R?

Thanks

You would only be given an EFC if you were cleared short 'to' TUS, making TUS the clearance limit. You may have been cleared 'TO' TUS but not have gotten an EFC. ETA now becomes the pertinent 'time.' If you hadn't been cleared 'TO' TUS and your last clearance recieved remains TUS KTUS, things are not as cut and dried as in FAR 91.185. AIM 6-4-1 a. explains this.

EDIT: OP’er meant to say ETA, not EFC and changed the OP

Last edited:
You would only be given an EFC if you were cleared short 'to' TUS, making TUS the clearance limit. You may have been cleared 'TO' TUS but not have gotten an EFC. ETA now becomes the pertinent 'time.' If you hadn't been cleared 'TO' TUS and your last clearance recieved remains TUS KTUS, things are not as cut and dried as in FAR 91.185. AIM 6-4-1 a. explains this.
Notice how I carefully avoided that issue and took the easy part. ;)

Yea sorry I meant ETA which is why I changed the OP

I once returned from a long trip to the midwest and the only instrument approach I had to shoot was into Tucson.

I know another pilot who did have to go on instruments due to heavy dust between Phoenix and Tucson and use the ILS to get in.

I once returned from a long trip to the midwest and the only instrument approach I had to shoot was into Tucson.

I know another pilot who did have to go on instruments due to heavy dust between Phoenix and Tucson and use the ILS to get in.

They remove and clean the air filter or replace it after that? LOL. Yuck.

Yea sorry I meant ETA which is why I changed the OP

Gotcha. I’d do what @MauleSkinner said in post #2. For gawds sake don’t try and turn to a point over the top of your clearance limit, KTUS, after TUS, before turning back to get on the TUS107r to SULLI and then landing at your clearance limit, KTUS

If I was shooting the ILS RWY 11L then I would hold at the TUS VOR until my ETA and then proceed outbound on the 303 radial and make my procedure turn to get established on the inbound course.

Thanks

Depends. Do you want a real world answer or are you trying to satisfy an instructor or examiner?

Back