IFR Long Beach - Can we avoid Icing Up? (Full ATC)

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
A short flight to Long Beach this morning, with cloud coverage and winter temps en-route. With the forecast showing a chance of icing, we make certain we have good “outs” and decide to launch... expecting to divert prior to our destination. We’ll see how this plays out. Thanks for flying with us. Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot

Long Beach? Ice? Is this some kinda joke? Yeah, I know, SoCal can get it.
A short flight to Long Beach this morning, with cloud coverage and winter temps en-route. With the forecast showing a chance of icing, we make certain we have good “outs” and decide to launch... expecting to divert prior to our destination. We’ll see how this plays out. Thanks for flying with us. Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot

What did you file? Was it the SBAP5? Did you get all of the ATC com on the video? FIM was not on the Clearance you had. Yet Center cleared you Direct FIM, nothing else, just FIM.

What did you file? Was it the SBAP5? Did you get all of the ATC com on the video? FIM was not on the Clearance you had. Yet Center cleared you Direct FIM, nothing else, just FIM.
Yes, filed SBAP5 at 5000'. But as you saw, when on the way to CMA I requested 9000' to get above the layer, and then got cleared FIM (and yes, I'm pretty sure there was nothing stated after that)... and soon thereafter direct VNY (which resolved the issue). Not sure what would have transpired if I reached FIM without a further clearance; but I would have clarified prior. Thanks for watching (so carefully).

Yes, filed SBAP5 at 5000'. But as you saw, when on the way to CMA I requested 9000' to get above the layer, and then got cleared FIM (and yes, I'm pretty sure there was nothing stated after that)... and soon thereafter direct VNY (which resolved the issue). Not sure what would have transpired if I reached FIM without a further clearance; but I would have clarified prior. Thanks for watching (so carefully).

When they gave you 9000 I was waiting for them to give you DARTS V459 but they took you back down instead

Back