IFR "Lite" (long)

grattonja

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saratoga driver
We talk a lot on this forum about approaches down to minimums, "hard" IFR, thunderstorms, ice, etc. But I was reminded this weekend why I got the IR, why it is cool, and what it can do for you.

My wife wanted to go to a Vassar reunion, her mother's 50th, actually. Time with the grandchild and we get to wander campus for the day. It was Saturday though, and, in Central PA, Saturday was 600 foot ceilings and drizzle. Warm and no boomers though. I was a bit nervous. My personal take off minimums out of Smoketown involve being able to make an approach into LNS if something goes haywire, but not bad enough to make an emergency landing. We were close to those minimums, with the ILS out of service. But, we were above my minimums, and that was good enough.

The delay with FSS getting filed should have told me something was afoot, and the clearance confirmed it. First of all, I FINALLY got a decent clearance eastbound. We wanted LRP ETX V162 HUO direct POU and we got it. I was figuring to get routed up to Scranton, Lake Henry, the usual New England routing, which I think is ugly for single engine IFR. But, when it came time to read back and get my departure window out of Smoketown, they changed it, made me go direct to Geeri intersection and said something about talking to them in the air, with a faint mumbling about "then as filed". I knew we could go to Geeri but wasn't sure beyond that.

Well, once we got on the radio I realized that everyone and his brother was trying to get to the AOPA flyin. Harrisburg approach was as busy as I have ever seen. They sent us to Geeri because they had several planes already en route to or parked at LRP, and it was jammed up. Pilots were trying to get to Frederick and being told that wasn't going to happen.

It was simply GREAT to climb to 1000 MSL and get eaten by the clouds! I love the feeling of transitioning into IMC, particularly on a calm day like Saturday. We were in the clouds for a while, during which we finally got routed direct to ETX. Thank you, /G. At about 4000 we broke out and stayed on top after that, sometimes with a visible horizon and sometimes not. My wife, taking IFR training, was asking questions and watching everything. For once, the dang needles got centered and stayed that way. I felt like a total pro as we droned along, east bound. Got about .8 of actual. When I got on with Allentown approach, I asked to confirm routing, before we got to ETX. They came back shortly and confirmed what I had received on the ground.

East of ABE, it basically cleared out. We stayed IFR though all the way, to keep up the practice and to help dodge traffic. New York Approach had one of the most stressed sounding controllers that I have heard in a while. He failed to respond to my first two call ins, and two from a 'Bo as well. Finally he got me and immediately told me to descend to 4K. We were something like 50 miles from the airport, so I asked Janet to check elevations. Every traffic call I heard him make was a TRAFFIC ALERT, with the same tone that the media says BOMB THREAT. It seemed that he had a lot of traffic conflicting around the Hudson River Valley, and he made me nervous. So we watched every instruction carefully, but it all went fine.

We finally made a visual 24 to POU. Other than too much speed on final (I made a short approach due to other landing traffic), it was a decent trip.

It was truly IFR Lite though. No approach and basically using the IR to get above the clouds. But, without the IR there was no way we could have departed Smoketown. It was too low to scud run, even if I had the inclination. And it would have been a hellish 4 hour car trip to Poughkeepsie if we stayed on the ground.

Now I am feeling the itch to get out and shoot some real approaches, not the foggles kind. And I feel great about my flying skills. I really love flying IFR, and I forget just how much until these little trips. I find the intellectual pursuit of the needles in clouds to be true enjoyment. The more I do it the better my altitude and heading holding skills are. The more I fly IFR the better I am at it, and the more I like it.

Happy flying all

Jim G

Great post! This is precisely how I envision using my future (soon, I hope) IR. Great for hazy summer mornings.

Thanks for the recap of your trip.
Matt

Thanks, Jim, for the good story. Exactly why I've just begun my IR lessons.

Ditto what Matt and Bill said. The field I'm based at is notorious for those 600-1000 AGL ceilings when the wind is from the NE - scud blowing in off Lake Huron. I read your post with so much envy - can't wait for the day when I can just shrug at the lake scud and say "this is what I got that IR for, this is a go".

Liz

Isn't it great ?
That's what the early pilots were thinking when they looked up and said, "Sheeesh, it's only clouds up there, we can go direct !"

Dave Krall CFII said:
Isn't it great ?
That's what the early pilots were thinking when they looked up and said, "Sheeesh, it's only clouds up there, we can go direct !"

I have really enjoyed my IFR time so far, except for some time in ice with a CFI that I will not repeat. I like flying in the clouds, I like the quieter radio with less folks on it, I just like the whole experience. I like being able to use the plane more on my terms and with many less weather limits. I like the whole package.

Jim G

Great post and it is also why I got mine too. Need to get into doing it more also to get that same feeling that you have. I am just legal but plan on getting serious about staying current.

You might get caught airborne in ice sometime off the Great Lakes, it's probably good you saw what it's like ?

grattonja said:
I have really enjoyed my IFR time so far, except for some time in ice with a CFI that I will not repeat. I like flying in the clouds, I like the quieter radio with less folks on it, I just like the whole experience. I like being able to use the plane more on my terms and with many less weather limits. I like the whole package.

Jim G

Jim:
Great post and a vivid reminder of why the IR with a capable plane is so valuable.

Can't tell you how many times it's been absolutely crappy on the ground; CAVU on top!!

Glad you found it useful. Sorry you have to deal with that Norteast routing, but seems you didn't do as badly as many!!

Best,

Dave
N2024Q

That's not IFR "Lite". That's IFR UTILITY. The wife gets the idea that she can get places that she could not otherwise. That means spousal support for aviation. This is GOOD.

Good on you!

bbchien said:
That's not IFR "Lite". That's IFR UTILITY. The wife gets the idea that she can get places that she could not otherwise. That means spousal support for aviation. This is GOOD.

Good on you!

Spousal support not a problem for me. Spousal competition for left seat time is the problem when the other half also has the little FAA card. She is working on her IR. Until then, the clouds are mine ;) After that, I will have to carry a quarter in my flight bag for standard coin tosses to determine who gets to fly.

Jim G

grattonja said:
Spousal support not a problem for me. Spousal competition for left seat time is the problem when the other half also has the little FAA card. She is working on her IR. Until then, the clouds are mine ;) After that, I will have to carry a quarter in my flight bag for standard coin tosses to determine who gets to fly.
The First Couple of aviaton, John and Martha, say they have a rather strict "you there, me back" arrangement. No word on how trips with odd numbers of legs go, but I would think the law of alternating engine starts would average out in the long run. Would that I had such a problem :(

Ken Ibold said:
The First Couple of aviaton, John and Martha, say they have a rather strict "you there, me back" arrangement. No word on how trips with odd numbers of legs go, but I would think the law of alternating engine starts would average out in the long run. Would that I had such a problem :(

It has it's moments, both being pilots. We long ago instituted the rule that the person in the left seat is PIC, period. We would murder each other otherwise. But, on the whole, having a cooperative and happy wife and daughter in the plane with me, rather than having to deal with the fear and loathing that some of you all have to address, is worth the headaches. Right now, I am only taking the trips if they are IR, as Janet is trying to get XC and sim instrument time. So my hours have dipped :( But, I get all the IR. And, on an east coast trip in the summer, that means I get some flight time every trip :)

I really do enjoy the utility of being able to cut through clouds and not be stuck on account of some stratus layer. Now, I need to get up on the fairly low days and practice some approaches locally. Keep my hand in.

Jim G

Back