IFR into MDW

slavinger

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
yippie
Hi all,

I'm not new to instrument flying, although I'm not exactly an airline captain either; I've flown into and out of busy Chicago-area airports before (DPA/PWK), but never into MDW. But MDW being MDW, I'm wondering if there are any "gotchas" or any other expectations I should be on the look-out for, in the air or on the ground (parking at Signature). Obviously keeping the speed up is one, got that one. Coming in from DTW area and coming back the same way, going around the lake to the south. Flying an Archer, usually below 10k, and normally don't file specific arrivals (I check ForeFlight/FltPlan for cleared low-alt routes around the lake, and file mine along the same lines to the IAF for active runway, with 'no over water' in remarks). I have never been given an arrival by Chicago, although I do occasionally get one from Detroit pretty far out. Anything I should be expecting? Interesting that in Detroit years ago I used to get assigned a named SID all the time, they haven't cleared me on a SID in years, although they still want people going to fixes on the PALCE7 SID. Does MDW have a similar practice?

Thanks!

File JOT then MDW but you wont actually go there. You will not have to do an arrival I can promise you that.

the main thing is keep your head on a swivel as there will be lots of LOW level VFR traffic swarming around the Bravo. You will land on the little runway by Signature. Honestly its not a big deal if your IFR.

The Palace departure is a vectored departure so its not a "real" departure (ie RNAV). MDW you will likely get the same thing , a vectored departure that's really there to give you a fix to expect should a radio fail etc...

I used to fly in there weekly in a bonanza and Cirrus in a past life.

Last edited:
I'll ask around at work tomorrow, and get back to you.

File JOT then MDW but you wont actually go there. You will not have to do an arrival I can promise you that.

the main thing is keep your head on a swivel as there will be lots of LOW level VFR traffic swarming around the Bravo.

Ya think so? Maybe if C90 will fix that by making the available airspace even lower.

Heck, there's a whole 1100 feet of space between the ground and the Bravo floor in some places around there, and those little planes are only about 5 feet tall and the most of the trees only grow to 50 feet or so.

Just file the IFR flight plan to go through SBN airspace. HALIE CGT direct should work. It all depends on when you arrive. Putting NO OVER WATER is a good idea on departure, but we don't have MDW routes that put you over the lake (except that new RNAV 22L arrival). If you arrive during a slow period you may get put on final right away. If there is a good jet arrival push, you may be driven toward the airport on parallel vector until the controller can't push jets past you anymore. MDW charges fees: a landing fee to the City of Chicago, and the FBO's charge a handling/parking fee.

It can be done. Flying to MDW IFR does not need a reservation either, so I'd say if the fees don't turn you away, go for it.

If the fees do turn you away, there are other options. GYY, PWK, or you can head to the uncontrolled relievers like Clow or Schaumburg. You can fly IFR to all of them, however Schaumburg does not have instrument approaches. Good luck!

Have flown single engine piston IFR into JFK, PHL, DFW, MSP and ATL. There was nothing special from a procedural standpoint about any of them. Fly fast (as you know), be efficient on the radio, do what they ask. It'll be fine.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the responses. I've flown in there 3 times since I posted (and landed in 3 different directions - 22L, 13R, and 4R), no big deal. Only once was assigned an arrival with a minimum speed restriction, no problem.

Back