IFR intersection not found on chart...

dtvonly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dtvonly
I am going through IFR training on my own for now, until I can find money. I tried to fly RNAV to L35 (big bear) per RNAV chart. The miss approach is at intersection BRGET. I can not find it where AIRNAV pointed it out - 1.9nm from 7CA1 (Abraham ranch airport). The low altitude IFR chart does not show this intersection.

Please advise.

I haven't researched that specific approach, but you will find many, many places where you have to use both the approach plate and the LO chart to find all of the fixes. Not unusual.

Bob

Not all fixes are on low enroute (or any) charts.

I am going through IFR training on my own for now, until I can find money.[...]
Please advise.
I would advise not to try to teach yourself how to fly under instrument flight rules. Even if you're taking a hiatus from flight lessons you really need the assistance of an instructor to set you down the correct path and not pick up misunderstandings or misinformation. Studying FAA material like the instrument flying handbook, and the Instrument Flight procedures Manual are quite helpful, but the guidance of an instructor will help it all make sense.

IFR training on your own is kind of like teaching yourself how to do an appendectomy? It takes twice a long to unlearn bad habits than to learn new ones from scratch. A good instructor will ensure you learn proper skills the first time. And that will save time in the long run.

And yes, as others have pointed out, many approach fixes do not appear on the enroute charts. They will be in your navigator database and charted on approach plates.

Since this is a RNAV (GPS) approach, there's no obligation to describe the fix (crossing radials). It's a point in space that's encoded into your GPS database. As others have pointed out, there are many approach plate fixes that are not on the lo charts as they have no enroute function. The chart would be a cluttered mess if they all were included.

It seems like you need a review of charting and procedures (or you never learned it). You should read the Aeronautical Chart User's Manual and especially the
Instrument Procedures Handbook (https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol..._procedures_handbook/media/faa-h-8083-16b.pdf) before proceeding.

Back