IFR GPS

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Given the involved process to certify GPS for IFR is it legal to swap a non working GPS receiver for another same model but different serial # receiver out in a certified IFR GPS aircraft.

Sure, you just can't fly it /G till you get it certed.

Would somebody post the procedure to certify the new GPS for IFR?

I don't believe it's all that involved but what do I know?

Joe

I had to fly a couple approaches with the avionics installer. That was it.

If you change the GPS box you'll need to recertify your system. What that requires varies from FSDO to FSDO, but there will be paperwork involved.

Every year the FSDO get more ridiculous about GPS, even though HQ FAA has told them in writing to treat IFR GPS installs just like a radio.

But you know, GPS . . . one of those black magic things the FAA is going to "crack down" on.

~ Christopher

There's an AC listing what's required, but it's my impression that the process has gotten easier and on some of the units all that's required is the interference testing and interoperability testing done on the ground by the avionics shop, and no test flight is required any more.

Several years ago, the routine was to compare the unit to a surveyed ground point, then go fly steep turns and several approaches (coupled and uncoupled) while making sure the unit never lost satellite lock.

If you change the GPS box you'll need to recertify your system. What that requires varies from FSDO to FSDO, but there will be paperwork involved.

Every year the FSDO get more ridiculous about GPS, even though HQ FAA has told them in writing to treat IFR GPS installs just like a radio.

Actually, I think that as long as the replacement is an identical radio (make, model, & TSO) that just slides into the tray there's no need for recertification. At least that's the way every avionics shop that I've ever had swap a GPS out for testing and/or repair handled it.

Actually, I think that as long as the replacement is an identical radio (make, model, & TSO) that just slides into the tray there's no need for recertification. At least that's the way every avionics shop that I've ever had swap a GPS out for testing and/or repair handled it.
I think Lance is right, but you'd probably have to ask AFS-300 to be sure.

Back