IFR Flight Breakfast

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
This morning I had a very nice flight for breakfast. Stuewe, me, and Tim McGuinness (who Diana took flying at Beaumont a month ago), went down to Stillwater, OK for breakfast. The OSU Flight Team was trying to raise money so they can keep going to NIFA competitions. I had done an IPC earlier this week, and booked the 182RG for the trip. Our club 182RG is very nicely equipped, with a 430W, KX-155, and ADF.

I made up a flight plan last night on fltplan.com, and woke up this morning to check weather. It was looking like reasonable IFR weather. Ceilings in Wichita were 1500 feet, Stillwater was 800. Forecast at Ponca City indicated improvement through the morning, up to 1500 feet or so, from what I can remember. All in all it seemed pretty reasonable. Tim and Stuewe met me out at Jabarra and we loaded up the airplane and blasted off.

Cloud layer was pretty thin, only like 400 feet, at Wichita. We stayed on top at 5000 feet for the trip down. Stuewe and Tim definitely enjoyed the glorious view from above the clouds. 10 to 15 knot headwinds didn't hurt too bad. I was prepared for the ILS to 17 at Stillwater. As I pulled up the weather, we found that it had dropped to 300 foot ceilings and 2 miles visibility. Slightly surprising. We figured we'd shoot the approach and if we missed we'd go back to Wichita. KC Center gave us a vector to intercept and sent us over to tower. Down the chute we came. Stuewe was on the lookout for the runway as I took care of the approach. Did a pretty find job if i must say so myself. less than a dot off in any direction, especially at the end where it counted the most. We broke out right at 300 feet, just as advertised. Stuewe didnt see the approach lights for a good reason. They weren't turned on! I was sorta surprised at that, kinda figured the tower would turn those on. either way we found the runway and made a nice landing.

Pancakes and sausage was just fine, typicaly fly in food. We had a nice visit with Tristan. Only one other airplane flew in, a Bonanza, also from Wichita. Tim knew the guy, which was cool. No one else wanted to brave the weather. Frankly, if I would've seen 300 feet when I woke up this morning, I probably would've gone back to bed too.

We departed around 10:30. getting a clearance was no problem, and we took off into the now 500 overcast. Back out of the tops around 4000 feet and home in the clear at 6000. We asked for and received the very convenient GPS 36 at Jabarra. Approached over McConnel AFB, Cessna Field, and Beech Field. Ceilings were high, 1800 feet, and not far past the FAF we broke out, cancelled our IFR, and made a nice landing on 18.

So 1.8 hrs, .5 hrs of actual, 2 approaches, and a good breakfast. Not a bad days work before noon!

Thanks for the breakfast visit Tony. We should have made this a dinner flight! Current weather: [FONT=Monospace,Courier]KSWO 182153Z 10006KT 10SM FEW022 20/13 A2985 RMK AO2 SLP102 T02000128 sigh...welcome to oklahoma's goofy weather!
[/FONT]

Sounds like you had a good time! :)

Stuewe and Tim definitely enjoyed the glorious view from above the clouds.

Did anyone take pictures?

I told Tim that I'd bring my parachutes next time I fly to Beaumont on a Saturday. :)

I told Tim that I'd bring my parachutes next time I fly to Beaumont on a Saturday. :)

Tim took some pictures. I don't know about anyone else.

And yes, Tim mentioned that you were bringing parachutes next time. He seemed excited :)

ask and you shall receive. Tim got these shots on our trip to Stillwater. It was a very nice flight above the clouds.

Attachments

• Soaring above the clouds.jpg
    Soaring above the clouds.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • Soaring above the clouds2.jpg
    Soaring above the clouds2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • Soaring above the clouds5.jpg
    Soaring above the clouds5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • Banking for Final Approach.jpg
    Banking for Final Approach.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Neat pictures. Looks like the landing is a different airport. We don't have a runway 18.

ask and you shall receive. Tim got these shots on our trip to Stillwater. It was a very nice flight above the clouds.
Well, I must admit that, except for the last picture, that's stuff I've never seen except for when I was sitting in seat 32a (or similar)...

Great photos and writeup. Someday I"ll get to see above the clouds like that, amazing.

BTW, Tristan, I recieved the ASA Instrument book,.. Thanks!

Great pictures, Tony.

There's nothing quite like breaking out onto a calm ocean of cloud tops. To me, it's one of the most beautiful sights in the world.

Back