IFR Current

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi everyone,

Just finished my IFR curency. Did well and had some extra time so I had my safety pilot put me into some difficult attitudes, get me lost, and screwed up my GPS and radio settings. :hairraise:

A couple of times I was so disoriented that finding the airport was easy but it took me a good 5 minutes to actually believe my instruments. :confused:

It was a fun check ride and I had forgotten how easy it is to get screwed up when under the hood. :yikes:

Now, time for a good nap. :yawn:

Terry

Interesting. How does one screw up GPS settings?
Marc

Interesting. How does one screw up GPS settings?
Marc

Load in a different approach while I am under the hood with my eyes closed. Change Nav/GPS setting, turn off and reboot without me knowing it. Take range way out or way in so you can't see positions. Leave alone and let me try and figure out what he did. :idea:

Out here in western Kansas, you have the sky to yourself. Getting lost or turned around is very easy to do.

Terry

Putting it in SIM mode would be fun..

If my Saftey pilot changed the approach I had selected and verified.

I hope he's wearing a parachute.
Or can drink his dinner through a straw, because his broken fingers will not be able to hold a fork.

If my Saftey pilot changed the approach I had selected and verified.

I hope he's wearing a parachute.
Or can drink his dinner through a straw, because his broken fingers will not be able to hold a fork.

Amen. I'm fine with an instructor giving me realistic failure modes (like turning the GPS off to simulate a CB failure), but not make up stuff, like changing the approach, that couldn't happen.

And when doing that kind of stuff there needs to be a discussion before hand so that it's clear that all failures will be treated as real unless briefed.

Amen. I'm fine with an instructor giving me realistic failure modes (like turning the GPS off to simulate a CB failure), but not make up stuff, like changing the approach, that couldn't happen.
Truth is, that pilots have the ability to mess things up in normal operations, without introducing any failures.

And that's usually the best training. When they see that their problems are self-inflicted and that the results can be somewhere between embarassing and downright dangerous, the training becomes much more meaningful. It's also usually accompanied by "I can't believe I screwed up that ______ so badly. I've l've flown a jillion of those damn things and have never done that before."

Truth is, that pilots have the ability to mess things up in normal operations, without introducing any failures.

Load in a different approach while I am under the hood with my eyes closed. Change Nav/GPS setting, turn off and reboot without me knowing it. Take range way out or way in so you can't see positions. Leave alone and let me try and figure out what he did. :idea:

Out here in western Kansas, you have the sky to yourself. Getting lost or turned around is very easy to do.

Terry

I'm sorry but I don't see how that can help you be a better instrument pilot in any way... I am all for distractions but changing the approach after you selected it does nothing for you. None of those things he did will randomly happen to you while on an approach leaving you to find a quick fix... Range won't change, approach won't change etc...

Back