IFR Currency for Levi - Hold & KSBA (Part 2)

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
Levi and I on our return to Santa Barbara, with an ad-hoc hold and an instrument approach… but which approach? With winds favoring 25, but a thin marine layer on the final approach course that straddles the MDA, Approach and Tower (and aircraft) face an entertaining uncertainty. All makes for some good fun.
Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot

Enjoyed the video. We deal with the same issue here at Ocean City MD. Thankfully our RNAV GPS RWY 32 LPV DA is 261’ and it’s flat everywhere. Airport elevation is 12’

I didn’t see what AP he had in the 182. I had to shed some rust with my Stec 60 so I get the Buttonology sequence required. I should say I get it now ;)

Enjoyed the video. We deal with the same issue here at Ocean City MD. Thankfully our RNAV GPS RWY 32 LPV DA is 261’ and it’s flat everywhere. Airport elevation is 12’

I didn’t see what AP he had in the 182. I had to shed some rust with my Stec 60 so I get the Buttonology sequence required. I should say I get it now ;)
Thanks, Gary, for watching. This GPS 25 has an MDA of 920' MSL/AGL (NOTAMed to 1000'), a bit because of terrain and more likely to move traffic from crossing over neighborhoods. Given that are prevailing winds are westerly, we'd love to have an RNAV 25 LPV. Levi's C182 has a GTN 650 with a Century 2000 autopilot (with add-on GPSS).
Wayne

There is a reworked RNAV 25 in the works at KSBA. I don't think terrain is an issue for a straight in (the current approach is offset), as the only obstacle is a 399' hill that is well away from the airport. @aterpster might know what changes are being made. It is meant to be published next year.

There is a reworked RNAV 25 in the works at KSBA. I don't think terrain is an issue for a straight in (the current approach is offset), as the only obstacle is a 399' hill that is well away from the airport. @aterpster might know what changes are being made. It is meant to be published next year.
Now that's promising news! Thx,
Wayne

Now that's promising news! Thx,
Wayne

If it goes straight in it will go right smack dab over the middle of $$Hope Ranch$$. 3 miles out. Whadda ya think the odds are this will happen without a fight.

Last edited:
Back