IFR Certified Homebuilt?

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I received the latest Barnstormers email ad which had an RV-6 that was listed as IFR Certified. How does an airplane, homebuilt or Exp get IFR certification?

The typical operating limitations for the amateur built experimentals say that the plane is authorized for IFR when equipped persuant to 91.205(d). If this is how your limitations read (or they don't have any VFR limitation) then all you need do is comply with 91.205(d) for the required equipment and the requisite static system inspections just like any normally certificated plane.

A IFR cert. only certifies the instruments, a ton of discussions on it. As long as the instruments are able to and are certified, the aircraft is certified to fly IFR.

A IFR cert. only certifies the instruments, a ton of discussions on it. As long as the instruments are able to and are certified, the aircraft is certified to fly IFR.

That's not true if the aircraft has limitations to VFR. In some aircraft it's more than just 91.205(d) and 91.411.

It's all going to be spelled out in the op lims for your experimental, yours could be different from anyone elses, check yours.

IIRC, there is also something that composite planes need to do during construction. A mesh or something? that addresses possible lightning strikes.

IIRC, there is also something that composite planes need to do during construction. A mesh or something? that addresses possible lightning strikes.

You need a way to disperse the electricity away from the structural metal components to keep them from getting so hot they explode the composite structures they hold together. DA-20 is said to explode at the wing fastenings in a lightning strike.:dunno:

That's a requirement for part 23 certification, hence the DA-20 VMC limitation. Homebuilts have no requirement to meet that. They are required to meet the part 91 instrumentation as noted earlier.

That's a requirement for part 23 certification, hence the DA-20 VMC limitation. Homebuilts have no requirement to meet that. They are required to meet the part 91 instrumentation as noted earlier.

No legal requirement.:D Still wise though.

No legal requirement.:D Still wise though.

so a glasair that's got the instrumentation for instrument conditions could fly in IMC?

That's not true if the aircraft has limitations to VFR. In some aircraft it's more than just 91.205(d) and 91.411.

It's all going to be spelled out in the op lims for your experimental, yours could be different from anyone elses, check yours.

Operating limitations for experimentals can be changed. If you added IFR equipment to a VFR airplane you can change the OL for that aircraft through the local FSDO.

Many experimentals are capable of flying IFR.

I guess I can go home now. I've learned something for the day. :lol:

:lol: The answer more likely than not will be "Yes", but if I didn't throw in the qualifier for the outlying possibility that it gets written in, thre would be ten pages over it.:rofl:

On EAA's website they have a PDF document that outlines the requirements to operate a homebuilt IFR.

Nicely done sir!

What airplane?

kenyan-builds-plane.jpg

Back