IFR Certificate Training

Air_Ogre

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ogre
A little background; I'm just getting back into flying after a long break. My most recent time in the cockpit was May of 2006. Currently I'm waiting on my medical appointment next Thursday and will be getting checkride/ bi-annual shortly after that for a local flying club. My total time is 127 hours including 45 hours in a high performance Cessna 206T.

Beyond getting back in the air I think I'd like to start thinking about getting my IFR rating and I'm looking for some advice.

Do folks recommend the King discs?

Is it better to swallow the pill and hit a dedicated school for a 2 week accelerated program?

Any other advice/ suggestions?

The King DVD's and the flight training are totally separate issues. The King DVD's will prepare you for the knowledge test, and can support your flight training, but whether you do your flight training in dribs and drabs or one big gulp has no bearing on what you use to learn the knowledge material.

Whether the King DVD's work for you depends entirely on your learning style. If you're good listening to lectures for learning, they're a good choice. If you do better with book learning or interactive computer training, then those would be better courses. And no matter what system you use for ground school, one of those weekend cram courses will maximize your performance on the written test.

As for doing one of the intensive programs versus a once/twice a week plan, it depends on the student, and the student's commitment to both the training and flying a bunch right after the training is complete.

First, the training is incredibly intense. Most of my students say they were surprised by the level of intensity -- 8-9 hours a day, 10 days in a row, plus an hour or more of homework every night. If you do this on vacation, make sure you're off work for 14 consecutive days, because you'll probably need the other four days at the end to recover before going back to work.

Second, that which is quickly learned is as quickly forgotten unless as quickly exercised. In order to "fix" the newly/quickly learned material in your brain, you must fly one or two IFR hops a week for four to six weeks starting immediately after the practical test. If you don't, within a month, you'll be as though you never took the course (well, not quite that bad, but you certainly won't be ready to launch solo into the IFR system in real IMC).

Third, you'd better be proficient in the plane in which you will take your training. No trading your 172 on a Bonanza two weeks before the IR course, getting five hours transition training from your local CFI, and expecting the IR course to go well. This is especially true for lower-time pilots with no experience in anything but the simple trainer in which they got their 50 XC PIC who then bought something heavy and/or complicated and/or really different, and immediately try to get their IR in it. If you only fly 30 hours a year, and they're the same 30 hours year after year, you probably need a quick proficiency cram course (a commercial pilot flight maneuvers program would be about right) prior to the IR course.

Fourth, you'd better know the nuts and bolts of any IFR GPS you have in the plane. While I can teach you how to fly GPS approaches in the normal course of training, the 10-day curriculum doesn't have enough time in it to teach you a Garmin 430 from scratch, no less one of the older, harder-to-use units. If all you know is "direct, enter, enter," it will add at least a day to the program. Add to PIC's daily rate your instructor's expenses for a day, and it's a whole lot cheaper to spend $150 or so and 8-12 hours on your computer with one of the good GPS training courses from Sun Flight Avionics or the like, and then try out your new knowledge on the free Garmin simulator before I get there.

Fifth, you must be academically prepared. If your only IR ground training before the 10-day course is one of those 2-day written test cram courses, you won't know anything but the answers to the written test, and you will not be able to finish the IR flight course in ten days -- figure two to four days extra to learn all the material that would otherwise be learned in a real IR ground training course. I recommend any or all of the following, choice based on your own learning style (and whether or not you can sit still for Martha King):

• Formal IR ground school of 40 hours or so classroom plus home assignments (like those offered by many flight schools and community colleges)
• Self-paced computer based training course like Jeppesen's FliteSchool
• DVD course like King or others
• Book learning, using a good training manual like Bob Gardner's Complete Advanced Pilot or Bill Kersher's Instrument Flight Manual, and/or the FAA Instrument Flight Handbook and FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook

In addition, you should study the following books:

• Current FAR/AIM (especially the ASA version with the list of recommended FAR's and AIM sections for IR/CFII)
• FAA AC 00-6A Aviation Weather
• FAA AC 00-45F Aviation Weather Products

Finally, you must dedicate yourself entirely to the program. Don't just turn off your Blackberry -- leave it in the office. Explain to your family that this isn't a vacation, this isn't even work -- they can't expect you to participate in anything other than your training for the duration. Forget about catching up on your reading (other than IR training books) or email or internet chat. You will eat, sleep, and breathe instrument flying for 10 days, and if you clutter your mind with, or spend your time on, anything else, it won't happen on schedule.

With this preparation, you will find a program like PIC's productive and useful. You'll get real IR training, including sim training (which is highly useful in making the flight time more productive -- teach on the ground, practice in the plane), from a highly experienced instructor (PIC's average 8000 hours) with real-world IFR experience, and you will be well-prepared for actual IFR operations. You will also experience real IFR flying in real IFR weather -- something I consider invaluable, and something your local time-building CFI with no significant real IFR experience may not be comfortable doing. Without this preparation, you'll just end up tired and frustrated – and your instructor will, too, because s/he wants you to succeed just as much as you do.

You will eat, sleep, and breathe instrument flying for 10 days, and if you clutter your mind with, or spend your time on, anything else, it won't happen on schedule.

Wow, thanks for that really detailed reply. It sounds like the 2 week cram course is not going to work for me, I can't really take jump into a rabbit hole for 2 weeks right now, just too many other things going on.

You will eat, sleep, and breathe instrument flying for 10 days, and if you clutter your mind with, or spend your time on, anything else, it won't happen on schedule.

Wow, thanks for that really detailed reply. It sounds like the 2 week cram course is not going to work for me, I can't really take jump into a rabbit hole for 2 weeks right now, just too many other things going on.

Another popular option AFaIK is to go more than halfway through "normal" IR flight training then use an accelerated program to finish in about a week. It's the same firehose treatment but for a shorter, more tolerable duration. The trick is to not have picked up any bad habits that must be unlearned during the cram sessions.

And in case you weren't aware, for decent progress you have to schedule at least 3, preferably 4 or more training flights per week and avoid any extended periods (e.g. more than a week) of no training. Given the potential for conflicts between your schedule, the instructor's schedule, the airplane's availability, and the weather chances are if you schedule 4 per week you'll get to fly 3 on the average. It's typical for many pilots that training for the IR once a week produces almost no progress after the first few weeks and at twice a week, half the time will involve reviewing things you already learned. When you get up to three per week you're probably making 75% or more of the time productive.

Last edited:
If you choose to buy the King DVDs...

For Mother's sake, be prepared to play them on computer software that is capable of setting the forward speed at "1.5X", "2X", or even "3X" to prevent the permanent loss of mental marbles as John (and even Martha) lectures to the camera at a pace akin to glaciers surging.

Else wear a bib to protect clothes from sleepy drool.

I truly did not like the King/Cessna IFR course. I am sorry that I bought it. When it came to test prep I used Dogan's book, Machado's and the FAA books along with the Gleim test prep software.

I did my IFR training slowly and over an almost 2 year period. There was no rush to get it done for me. As a result I did have to sometime relearn stuff but I also had lots of time practice and get comfortable in the system.

Wow, thanks for that really detailed reply.
Only took about 20 seconds. I wrote that some time back and trot it out each time the question is asked again.

It sounds like the 2 week cram course is not going to work for me, I can't really take jump into a rabbit hole for 2 weeks right now, just too many other things going on.
In that case, you're making a wise decision. But don't discard the option of what Lance suggested -- an intensive 5-7 day "top-off" once you've got much of the training done on a twice-a-week basis.

And, as you may have guessed, I do this for a living. For more on what we have to offer, see http://www.iflyifr.com.

The idea of working on it a few times a week then hitting a finishing school has a lot of appeal.

The Kings are snoozy, but I used the discs and found them worthwhile. Certainly, hitting the Gleim book hard, then practicing with Sportys free online tests will do (probably) just as well. I just figured the IFR stuff was complex enough that I needed more than just Gleim to really understand it.

Fly around a bit VFR to get reacclimated to flying before you tackle the IR, and don't kid yourself about the 206 and its "HP" rating. It's just a heavy 172 with controllable prop. Don't lull yourself into a false sense of security based on your time spent flying it.

I did mine as Scott did, took me about 1.5 years to get it.
You didn't mention if you have the XC time yet if you are going to do it part 61. If not, use that time to get really acquainted with the aircraft again and have it mastered before you start the IR, it will help you in the end.

Good luck and keep us posted

The Kings are snoozy, but I used the discs and found them worthwhile. Certainly, hitting the Gleim book hard, then practicing with Sportys free online tests will do (probably) just as well. I just figured the IFR stuff was complex enough that I needed more than just Gleim to really understand it.

Fly around a bit VFR to get reacclimated to flying before you tackle the IR, and don't kid yourself about the 206 and its "HP" rating. It's just a heavy 172 with controllable prop. Don't lull yourself into a false sense of security based on your time spent flying it.

Hah! I hear you on the 206, it's nowhere near as slippery as a lot of the high perf aircraft are.

I just found out money is going to be tight for a bit (more) so flying VFR is likely to be the game plan.

I did mine as Scott did, took me about 1.5 years to get it.
You didn't mention if you have the XC time yet if you are going to do it part 61. If not, use that time to get really acquainted with the aircraft again and have it mastered before you start the IR, it will help you in the end.

Good luck and keep us posted

I have to look over the XC requirements, I've done a few long XC flights.

I just found out money is going to be tight for a bit (more) so flying VFR is likely to be the game plan.
There's a lot you can do to help prep for IR training with your VFR flying. Going to different airports and using flight following as much as possible are two of those things. The one thing you don't want to do is try to teach yourself instrument procedures before you start training -- as an instrument instructor, I've spent a lot of time overcoming the Laws of Primacy and Exercise with students who tried that.

I hear you on the bad habits/ thing. Going to different airports is part of becoming a good pilot in general. I'll have to make a point of using flight following, it kind of goes against my more independent nature but makes a lot of sense.

I hear you on the bad habits/ thing. Going to different airports is part of becoming a good pilot in general. I'll have to make a point of using flight following, it kind of goes against my more independent nature but makes a lot of sense.
Using flight following gets you comfortable talking to ATC and if you pay attention to their conversations with IFR traffic you'll start to acquire the important ability to comprehend their "standard phraseology".

Using flight following gets you comfortable talking to ATC and if you pay attention to their conversations with IFR traffic you'll start to acquire the important ability to comprehend their "standard phraseology".
You'll also start to get an understanding of how their system is put together, with tower, approach, and center taking different pieces of the pie and coordinating amongst themselves.

I was surprised at how much trouble I had flying into a class C towered airport for the first time in 30 years. Felt like a real maroon. I assume ATC wasn't real thrilled either.

Back