IFR by the numbers

S Joslin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
S Joslin
Does anyone have a link to a chart/table that you use for the "numbers" on your plane? If you want to descend, you set "this" pitch and "this" power setting, etc..

My Googling skills seem to have degraded :(

I have read (but can't remember -- senior moment) a book outlining how to go out and establish "the numbers" for your airplane. I think it was a book titled "Flying by the numbers." You might try Googling that.

Yes, I think that's the book by John Eckalbar. I'm looking for a simple chart/table that I've seen around some of the forums. Now, I can't seem to find the darn thing, lol...

For a book on how to do it, try Peter Dogan's Instrument Flight Training Manual. The book includes the table to fill in. However, if you're just looking for an outline of the table, try the following:

Columns: MP, RPM, Pitch, Airspeed, VSI, Gear/Flaps
Rows: Climb, Cruise, Cruise Descent, Approach Level, Approach Descent, Nonprecision Descent

For a book on how to do it, try Peter Dogan's Instrument Flight Training Manual. The book includes the table to fill in. However, if you're just looking for an outline of the table, try the following:

Columns: MP, RPM, Pitch, Airspeed, VSI, Gear/Flaps
Rows: Climb, Cruise, Cruise Descent, Approach Level, Approach Descent, Nonprecision Descent

Yep.

Get this book

simple chart, go fly the plane and fill in the blanks.....:)

Attachments

• Flight Numbers.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 85
Thanks Ron. That's what I was looking for. I have that book and forgot it was in there :redface:

Whenever this question comes up I always have to wonder what CFIIs giving training to new instrument students use instead of this for at least one of the first two lessons.

I can see it being lesson two - let the student flounder around to get stabilized in lesson 1 and then get that terrific "wow! that's so much easier!" moment in lesson 2.

simple chart, go fly the plane and fill in the blanks.....:)
Basically a good one, Gary. Although , like the 5 Ts (4, 6, 8 Ts?) what is listed is subject to a bit of variation due to type of aircraft and pilot choices. So, for example a complex aircraft is going to have MP and Gear columns. And a faster airplane may have configuration between Level, normal cruise and Level flight, approach, sort of an intermediate "step down."

Whenever this question comes up I always have to wonder what CFIIs giving training to new instrument students use instead of this for at least one of the first two lessons.

I can see it being lesson two - let the student flounder around to get stabilized in lesson 1 and then get that terrific "wow! that's so much easier!" moment in lesson 2.
At PIC, we teach it on the morning of Day 1, do it on the sim, then do it in the plane as the first thing in flight that afternoon.

...which other than the potential for the student to self-teach by seeing the contrast, makes the most sense. That's why I see it always being either first or second. (btw, If it's one of my prior students, the concept has already been taught in VFR training.)

Back