IFR/airspace incompetence

JHW

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Wright
A few rambling thoughts from our last couple days (beechlist x-post)

Early morning on the 23rd I was woken by a frantic phone call from someone I’ve only met in passing. It was a friend of a friend who is crewing on one of the smaller boats in the boxing day Sydney-hobart race. They had damaged something on the boat on the way up to Sydney from Tasmania and arrived late. It was worse than they first thought and the desperately needed some parts from their home on the north coast of Tasmania. After collecting what they needed it was far too much to put in the 210 they had available, and they wanted to know if there was any way I could make a run to Sydney in the king air.

After a little sidebar the girls agreed that yes, they’d spend Christmas in Sydney and have a little warmth compared to Tasmania. It became apparent that the plane would be stuffed to the gills so we bought them one-way jetstar tickets for ~$100 apiece (hard to compete with that).

As it turns out I was glad they weren’t along. I’ve spend the last year flying between a couple dairy farm strips and old mining airports. No congested airspace of any kind. It was an IFR day the whole way up and approaching Sydney I started to make mistakes. I missed a couple radio calls and got a vector wrong. I’d like to blame it on the rushed nature of the trip but the truth is I am just plain rusty. Probably more rusty than I’ve ever been. While I didn’t do anything grossly unsafe, I felt very unsafe. Constantly behind both the airplane and the controllers. I haven’t been so glad to land a plane in a long time.

We unloaded all the gear into a hired van and the sailor’s were gone, I might have liked to see their boat but they were going to be very busy and the last thing they needed was a tourist. So I met the girls and spent the night at the rocks. Christmas eve morning the girls wanted to see bondi beach. It was windy, cool, cloudy. Not a nice day at all. My 9-year old proclaimed that we should be at home for Christmas and this beach was no better than the beaches in Tasmania and it had too many people on it. We couldn’t argue with any of that so we packed up, went to the airport and headed home.
It was another IFR day and I had a tinge of nervousness copying a clearance that included multiple altitudes and waypoints. The further we got from that airspace the calmer I got. The radio got quiet crossing bass strait and although we couldn’t see the island for the clouds, it started to feel like home. Dropping out of the clouds on an instrument approach I looked over my shoulder and saw the hills of ben lohman sticking up into the clouds. I can tell right away from the shape of the hill that there was about 2500ft of ceiling above the valley. That’s worth a look, we cancel and turn toward the farm. There is a smaller range of hills to clear and after passing them I can see a bright spot way down near tunbridge. If this doesn’t work out for the farm there is a glider club there with wide open approaches, so I’m good to continue. Coming down the last valley to the farm in a light drizzle with the hills to the east disappearing into clouds, I found myself completely at peace and my mind drifted to the thread here recently where someone was saying they needed to get their instrument rating.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that scud running down a valley with obscured granite is safer than IFR flying. As a blanket statement, it’s not. But it occurred to me that this part of the flight where I’m in my element doing something I’ve practiced many times, I was safer than the previous day making an instrument approach in controlled airspace with guaranteed obstruction clearance. We play the way we practice. An instrument rating and fancy avionics are great. But no matter what piece of paper we have in our wallet, if we don’t practice in the right playground then it’s just another example of what’s legal isn’t necessarily safe and vice-versa.

So anyway, sorry for the rambling but I just found myself struck by the dichotomy of how I felt flying each end of the trip.

I hear you , Jeff. We get rusty pretty fast (or at least I do) :).

Uncurrent rich dude in a KA... What's the worst that could happen.

Glad you are Ok

Funny thing for me is that my element is IFR, in the system, busy.

When I haven't been flying in a while, what scares me the most is VFR squawking 1200. Like you said, all about the environment you're used to.

When I haven't been flying in a while, what scares me the most is VFR squawking 1200. Like you said, all about the environment you're used to.
Yep. Since moving to VT I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone somewhere VFR. Today I was in search of cheap fuel and knew it was to be found at KRUT ($4.76, the lowest I know of in New England). The freezing levels and the ceilings were both too low for safe IFR without FIKI. So I took off VFR in search of a mountain pass to get safely into the Champlain Valley. It was bumpy and the ceilings showed signs of lowering. Just as I was about to turn around, it cleared up ahead and I was able to climb to 5000. Soon afterward I found the pass I was looking for and descended into Rutland from the north.

To an extent, it's what you're used to. But at night, in the mountains, without a safe IFR option I would consider it a no-go.

Yep. Since moving to VT I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone somewhere VFR. Today I was in search of cheap fuel and knew it was to be found at KRUT ($4.76, the lowest I know of in New England). The freezing levels and the ceilings were both too low for safe IFR without FIKI. So I took off VFR in search of a mountain pass to get safely into the Champlain Valley. It was bumpy and the ceilings showed signs of lowering. Just as I was about to turn around, it cleared up ahead and I was able to climb to 5000. Soon afterward I found the pass I was looking for and descended into Rutland from the north.

To an extent, it's what you're used to. But at night, in the mountains, without a safe IFR option I would consider it a no-go.

Congrats on the move - you must just hate warm weather.

Ted, I hear you, and notwithstanding the beautiful sky in this photo, almost every flight here is IFR for at least a portion. The climate is much like british columbia. Rain, clouds, ice. But being based on a sheep/dairy farm it always ends with a VFR approach if possible, an IFR landing in town if not. Kerosene is expensive in town. We don't like to go to town.

Here's a picture of the last turn on the approach to the farm as you leave the main valley and turn down a side "street". Make a right turn around the hill ahead as you drop down into the secondary valley. I don't have any pictures past this point, I won't take my hands off the power levers as the wind gets a little unpredictable down in there.

attachment.php

Attachments

• farm approach.jpg
    farm approach.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 338
Ted, I hear you, and notwithstanding the beautiful sky in this photo, almost every flight here is IFR for at least a portion. The climate is much like british columbia. Rain, clouds, ice. But being based on a sheep/dairy farm it always ends with a VFR approach if possible, an IFR landing in town if not. Kerosene is expensive in town. We don't like to go to town.

Here's a picture of the last turn on the approach to the farm as you leave the main valley and turn down a side "street". Make a right turn around the hill ahead as you drop down into the secondary valley. I don't have any pictures past this point, I won't take my hands off the power levers as the wind gets a little unpredictable down in there.

That looks fun! Didn't you used to live in IL?

I remember the first time I landed at KIZG which isn't too far from you (just the other side of NH). It was night, I'd never been there before, woke up in Houston and got delayed for thunderstorms. Strip is within the mountains. Even IFR, it wasn't all that much fun to do.

When the C90 becomes too expensive.

When the C90 becomes too expensive.

Its already too expensive. Fortunately my share of the "partnership?" is probably low single digit %. I mainly pay with sweat and blood. Its a pretty tired example and the old guy couldnt keep it running.

Edit: ted an example you'll like. The airplane cabin needs compressed air. The designer could have elected to pull bleed air from the engines with a simple valve. Or he could have smoked some funny weed and then designed a system where the engine turns a hydraulic pump with turns a hydraulic motor which turns an air compressor for cabin pressure. Then to cool that air, he installed an electric motor in the nose which drives an air conditioning compressor using a belt. Which solution do you suppose we have?

Anyone who knows king airs will say this doesnt sound like a C. The rego paperwork says C but in truth it's a combination of various vintages.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Old King Airs are easy to come by cheap, but they do get tired. Fortunately they're solidly designed airplanes.

Your pressurization description sounds more like the A/B90, which as I recall had a supercharger somehow driven by the engine for cabin pressure.

Neat that you're able to fly it. Even a tired example would have some utility for me if I could be involved for sweat and blood.

I was in sort of a similar situation these last few days. Before my last trip I was IFR current but a little rusty. Instrument flying is a very perishable skill. Over two days of flying I did four approaches in progressively worse conditions and the last was an ILS right down to minimums.

The first approach was actually MVFR and the next two were IFR but decent ceilings and visibility. Having that experience made me feel comfortable shooting that last approach all the way down to minimums.

Last edited:
Back