iFly and iFly 740b GPS

MonkeyClaw

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Timothy Miller
Does anybody use the software or dedicated unit? I am getting the 740b with my gyro sort of as an MFD and wondering what people think of it? It looks pretty cool, and I'm thinking about getting it for my iPad also (you can use it on multiple devices for a $25/yr extra). This would replace my current free version of FltPlan Go.

Looking for pluses and minuses of the software, and what people's impressions are. I'm concerned that the 740b is getting long in the tooth, and wondering how popular it is also. It seems similar to some of the other more common apps like Garmin Pilot.

Been flying with IFly for over 10 years. Those who have it seem to love it. The best part is they keep upgrading and improving it and they never charge for the enhanced capabilities. The fact that you can run the software on your pc, lap top, cell phone, in addition to the 740, is a real bonus.

Your concern about long-in-the-tooth is irrelevant since they keep updating the software with new capabilities.

No idea how it compares to other options, though.

I had a 740b in my Citabria and liked it a lot. The screen was bright in sunlight. Sold it with the plane.
I have and continue to use the Android app. But you need to plan for the increase in load on your phone battery and plan ahead (the main reason I got the 740b)

I also have the 740b and love it

What EDFred said. 740b is readable in bright sunlight and mine has been rock solid.

Only concern is that I cannot make it drive my Trio AP unit. Even sent it back to them and they say there is no problem with the it. I dunno ... my old Garmin 196 drives the AP just fine.

I also run the app on my iPhone and it works very well. If you upgrade your subscription during one of the big shows you can usually get the 15 month for the 12 month price deal that they offer.

Last edited:
I've used iFly for ten years now. I'm currently running a 740 on the left side of the plane and a Samsung tablet on the right side. The 740 is in landscape position and the tablet in portrait position. The 740 is rock solid - never an issue with it. The tablet can overheat if you're not careful. The tablet can be hard to read depending on where the sun is, while there has never been an issue with the 740.
iFly is working on a new release called EFB that has lots of bells and whistles, but won't run on the 74xx series - not enough CPU for the new version. They have stated that they will support the old hardware with it's software for years to come, but it won't get the newer features that can't run on it.
The Tripltek 8" pro is an android tablet that is made to be sunlight usable and heat tolerant that some are switching to in preparation for the EFB upgrade, better visibility and won't crash in the heat. It's primary market is commercial drone operators. I'm going to buy one for my open cockpit to run iFly when I get closer to completing it.

I've used iFly for over 10 years, starting with the original 700. I was an early adopter of the 720 when it came out. By the time the 740 was released, I was using iFly on Android tablets. When I first started using a tablet, I kept the 720 deployed on the copilot's yoke for redundancy, but now that I've upgraded tablets a few times, the 720 stays in my bag and my two most-recent tablets are installed on the yokes.

The two biggest benefits of the 740 are the bright screen and the ability to drive an autopilot (in experimental planes), Daleandee's experience notwithstanding. For me, the tablet screens are plenty bright enough and I have a panel-mounted navigator driving the autopilot in my certificated plane, so the the 720 dedicated hardware device offers me no benefit.

I'm a big fan of iFly and a big fan of Adventure Pilot (the company that builds iFly).

Great info, thanks! I've been playing with the 740b during the downtime in my build and I like the features a lot. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it on here, so I thought I'd ask. Any news if they plan a 740b replacement? Otherwise I'll eventually be looking at the Tripletek android tablet. I have the feeling the 740b will be more than enough for a VFR-only aircraft for a while.

Great info, thanks! I've been playing with the 740b during the downtime in my build and I like the features a lot. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it on here, so I thought I'd ask. Any news if they plan a 740b replacement? Otherwise I'll eventually be looking at the Tripletek android tablet. I have the feeling the 740b will be more than enough for a VFR-only aircraft for a while.
La st I read, there is no 740b replacement coming.

I’m flying with a 740b and I’m quite pleased with it. Bright, readable screen and a good user interface. I also run the app on an iPad Mini. I can do my flight planning on the iPad then sync it to the 740b.

Most importantly, the company is very responsive to help requests and bug reports. I’ve found their support to be much better than FF.

Mine is mounted in the middle of the panel beneath my COM1 radio:

upload_2022-7-15_23-22-13.png

We replaced our Garmin 496 with an iFly 740b. Huge improvement. Love it. It drives our Dynon D180 HSI, autopilot, etc. just fine.

Awesome, thanks! My panel is almost done. This is what it will look like when my radio arrives (the one they sent was defective).

Attachments

• 20220715_161248 (Medium).jpg
    20220715_161248 (Medium).jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 15
Back