IFD550 in a trainer?

resp59

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jonathan
I'm wondering if there would be any reason to not install an IFD550 into a C150 (other than the cost, which isn't a problem). I have 4 children who want to get their PPL, and 9 nieces and nephews who want theirs as well. I'd rather start everyone in the 150, and have that take the initial abuse instead of something more expensive. And it's cheaper for them to build hours... Also, the local CFI wants to use the 150, as he won't let anyone solo in his personal plane. (sentimental reasons). The airlines are the goals for several, and I have no doubts that they will get there. My thought is that learning to use the IFD, along with the steam gauges, will make it easier when they transition to more complex types. Seeing traffic around them on the screen wouldn't hurt either... And if anything happens to the 150, I can pull the IFD and have it reinstalled in something else. Is there any particular reason not to go this route?

If you've got the money, go for it.
I wouldn't. For the same reason I wouldn't drop a Lamborghini motor in a KIA sportage. But if money is no object, then hey, go for it!
(In all seriousness, why not a GNS430 or on the high end an IFD440... Why go for the biggest, most expensive avidyne out there in a trainer?)

I can't think of any other than costs and whether it provides any added value in the long run.

Have you figured out whether a full IFD 540/550 fits in the panel or whether something smaller would work better (and, while I am a fan of the IFD, I am less so about the 440).

If you've got the money, go for it.
I wouldn't. For the same reason I wouldn't drop a Lamborghini motor in a KIA sportage. But if money is no object, then hey, go for it!
(In all seriousness, why not a GNS430 or on the high end an IFD440... Why go for the biggest, most expensive avidyne out there in a trainer?)
I don't know, because I can I guess... and with 4 daughters who I really like... As for being in a trainer, I know... but it's something that can be transferred later. And the free updates vs pay per update Garmin models doesn't hurt.

Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it :D
a bit I guess. I don't want to waste money, but I'm also not counting on it increasing the value of the plane enough to make it worth it, hence moving it to a different plane in the future. It's more of a long term investment with immediate usability I suppose...

Just go for it. It's a very capable and safe instrument to learn in.

Just go for it. It's a very capable and safe instrument to learn in.
Do you know if it's considered primary equipment in a small single? Meaning, would it be disallowed when testing? I haven't been able to find anything about this online. The standard 6 pack will still be operational...

Not sure what you mean by „disallowed for testing“. The IFD550 features an internal attitude reference sensor, but it is not a replacement for any flight instrument. All the information regarding the IFD series is available from Avidyne‘s web site.

Nothing wrong putting premium avionics into the panel of a trainer aircraft. I have recently seen a full Dynon HDX suite in a C152. G3X and Dynon HDX panels are standard for newer LSA.

The key question is: is the back-up AI worth the extra money? In my opinion, no. The same money buys you an AV30/AV20 combo.

Do you know if it's considered primary equipment in a small single? Meaning, would it be disallowed when testing? I haven't been able to find anything about this online. The standard 6 pack will still be operational...
What do you mean? An IFD550 is a flight management system, not a set of flight instruments.

Or do you mean that nice synthetic vision page? No.

Nothing wrong putting premium avionics into the panel of a trainer aircraft. I have recently seen a full Dynon HDX suite in a C152. G3X and Dynon HDX panels are standard for newer LSA.

The key question is: is the back-up AI worth the extra money? In my opinion, no. The same money buys you an AV30/AV20 combo.
Thank you!

Back