If Your Plane Was Hijacked ...

Daleandee

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dale Andee
Reading the remarks about profiling and hijackers make for an interesting, yet mostly make believe, conversation of what you would do if your plane were hijacked.

Suppose you offer a friend or two a ride and once in the air one of your "passengers" gets weird and tries to overtake the aircraft or force you to go someplace that you don't want to?

In this fairy tale scenario suppose your passenger produces a weapon of some kind?

Putting aside the rare likelihood of this actually occurring what might be your plan of action?

Last edited:
Reading the remarks about profiling and hijackers make for an interesting, yet mostly make believe, conversation of what you would do if your plane were hijacked.

Suppose you offer a friend or two a ride and once in the air one of your "passengers" gets weird and tries to overtake the aircraft or force you to go someplace that you don't want to?

In this fairy tale scenario suppose your passenger produces a weapon of some kind?

Putting aside the rare likelihood of this actually occurring what might be your plan of action?
Take him where he want's to go and sort it out later. Him producing a weapon changes nothing.

This, but in the air:

I remember this discussion right after 9/11 when flying 135.

the mooney has a convenient carry pouch sewn into the front of the seats....I mean, of course it does, pppffftt.

Are we going somewhere nice? Lets go if so.

Now if the destination wanted is Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Nebraska, N or S Dakota, or places like that...auger it into a mountain side at full power.

Not sure but I might roll it upside down and point the nose at mother earth and say "your airplane" ... :dunno:

Now if the destination wanted is Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Nebraska, N or S Dakota, or places like that...auger it into a mountain side at full power.
Hey!! Don’t be dragging our States into your Province hating:fingerwag:

You are a poor judge of friends.

I would laugh... hijacking the 140 I used to have would be just about the dumbest thing to do.

How is some dope hijacker going to know where you are once in the air? Just fly to an airforce base and I guarantee many men with evil black rifles will surround your plane.

Tell him I'm not endorsed for commercial flights and that I need to return to get another pilot to take him where he wants to go. If he resists then the starter is on my side and the keys will go out the window so "we" dead stick.

But most of my friends don't fit this profile. Most.

If you can find a mountain to hit in Nebraska, you’re already on short final.

Easy... I'm going to go wherever they want me to go, overflying a field of my choice along the way. Above the airport, the fuel selector goes to "off". Chances are, when things go quiet the advantage goes to me. Even if they have some pilot training, they're now reacting to my scenario change. Maybe we're over a grass field, maybe we're over an Air Force base.

Piper’s conveniently have the door installed on the passenger side, so if you get hijacked you can pop it and shove them out. They really thought about everything!

It’s happened twice in the last 4 years that a passenger in western AK has tried to kill themselves by taking control of an airplane.

I am great fun at parties, I don’t party with people who commit felonies.

OK ... whatever makes you feel good. :dunno: You don't have to play along ...

Nobody is dumb enough to ride with me yet. Kinda hoping it stays that way, oh one exception my mini schnauzer likes riding. Ok 2 , the flight instructor who keeps signing me off for anothe 90 days. ;)

It’s happened twice in the last 4 years that a passenger in western AK has tried to kill themselves by taking control of an airplane.

David, this is a clear indication that you need better jokes to tell your passengers!

-Skip

Actually, when I was flying out of Kotzebue right after 9/11, some three letter agency gave us an advisory to not carry enough fuel to make it to Russia, and to report anyone asking about a flight to Russia.

No one took it seriously until a few months later one of the other airlines called us and said someone called them about a charter to Russia. If I remember, Bering Air did offer charters to a couple far eastern Russia villages out of Nome. Not sure if they still do that now.

The only foreign land I've flown to is New Hampshire. They're pretty friendly, I think most of the aviation rules are the same as FAA, and I've never had to go through customs. Sometimes the accent is tough to get past, and they fly weird traffic patterns, but otherwise it's mostly the same. :)

I’m armed most always, so it wouldn’t turn out well, also like to think I’m a better judge of character

Biggest concern would be if the FAA would come after me for “holding out” lol

Back