If you were to ride with Sean D. Tucker

Rick Rademacher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rick Rademacher
What would you ask him to do? Many years ago before I was married, I planned on taking aerobatic lessons. That idea was stopped when my wife said I could continue to fly as long as I didn’t do aerobatics.

So, almost forty years later I will be flying this next Wednesday with one of the greatest aerobatic performers. I what to have fun, experience new attitudes of flight and not get sick. I know that he has taken many like me for flights. What should I ask him to do that you believe I should not miss?

As I will fly at 3 P.M., should I skip lunch or will it not make any difference. My world of flight has occurred in the right side up 1 G realm. Maybe I should practice pulling a few G’s in the J-3 when giving Young Eagle rides this weekend.

I am excited!

I read somewhere that you should eat bananas before taking a flight like this because they taste the same coming up. :D

He's done this enough times he probably has a pretty good routine for first timers. I'd eat lunch a little earlier than normal, then have fun!

What would you ask him to do? Many years ago before I was married, I planned on taking aerobatic lessons. That idea was stopped when my wife said I could continue to fly as long as I didn’t do aerobatics.

So, almost forty years later I will be flying this next Wednesday with one of the greatest aerobatic performers. I what to have fun, experience new attitudes of flight and not get sick. I know that he has taken many like me for flights. What should I ask him to do that you believe I should not miss?

As I will fly at 3 P.M., should I skip lunch or will it not make any difference. My world of flight has occurred in the right side up 1 G realm. Maybe I should practice pulling a few G’s in the J-3 when giving Young Eagle rides this weekend.

I am excited!

His "Harrier" pass has to be quite a sight from the inside.
Of course, the "Tucker Upper"
Maybe one of those Hammerheads that turn into another hammerhead...

I did get to ride with his son Eric, flying in formation with Sean, several years back. Hell of a ride.

Recommendation: Relax, enjoy the ride, and let him know you're not afraid of a few G's! Eric pulled 5.5 with me on board, and I was impressed that some guys pull 9+ regularly (and impressed the plane held together!)

Attachments

• LAF_1382.jpg
    LAF_1382.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 37
  • LAF_1413.jpg
    LAF_1413.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 33
  • LAF_7207.jpg
    LAF_7207.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 32
Don't go without lunch, just eat something that is not greasy.

What should I ask him to do that you believe I should not miss?

Nothing, really. If you have no acro experience, just let him do the introductory flight as he sees fit. Everyone is different, everyone has a different tolerance, and these types of flights may need to be personalized a bit as he gets a feel for how well you are doing. He has done this before.

One question: Does the plane you're riding in have dual controls?

If yes, I would ask that he demonstrate and then let you try some of the maneuvers. I've found my tolerance for aerobatics is much higher when I'm doing them.

If no, I would ask for a minimum of negative G. Otherwise, sit down, strap in, hang on -- and have fun!

I'd ask him if he could recommend another crazy billionaire willing to pay me to do that stuff for a living. ;)

Comedy Routine

I once heard a comedy tape of some impersonator doing the kid as he announced his dad's routine, only the "routine" was a bedroom adventure with a popular female airshow performer. Was it Julie? I don't remember. But it was funny as hell ... "There goes Sean upside down and rolling with ... and that'd my DAD, Sean D. Tucker ... "

Anybody else remember it? It got kind of raunchy in places ... but still funny.

Jim

As I fly a 65 H.P. 1946 J-3 Cub low & slow, it was a fantastic experience to fly with Sean and preform a few aerobatic maneuvers high and fast. He calmed my fears and made everything look and feel easy. With a few more hours under his tutelage, I believe even I could become an aerobatic pilot. If you ever have the opportunity to fly with Sean, don't hesitate even one second to accept the invitation. I offer many thanks to EAA for helping to arrange this adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEzaHhJYvvk

So let me get this straight, after 40 years of forbidding aerobatics, your wife woke up one morning, looked you in the eye and said, "Why don't you go for a ride?" :D

Back