If You thought Miss South Carolina was Bad....

K

KennyFlys

Boortz was talking about this on Monday and I finally got a chance to see it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEP7uti0PDw

ROFL.gif

OMG.....

Wasn't too, too bad until "I've heard of Turkey, but Hungary??"

I thought Europe WAS a country!.

Man, this is sad.

I hate what I'm about to do.

But, in all honesty, this doesn't surprise me, and I'm not sure we should all be shocked by it. Firstly, I've had many people at WORK, competent people, not understand how Italy has laws versus France: "Aren't they EU zone? That's all one 'legal system', right?" While I don't like defending her, I can't blame her. She's a bimbo paid to act like one. I'm not sure "understanding what the EU is" and "knowing the the EU zone is just a collection of centralized economic and trade functions" is on a woman of her stature radar.

I was at the doc today and reading a People magazine (sorry, Working Mothers Weekly wasn't a better pick), and I realized... that we have exhaulted a generation of media elite who are fundementally stupid, crass, and amoral.

And we wonder about things?

Cheers,

-Andrew

They mention prize money for a charity so she must be some kind of "celebrity", therefore not a real person. It could have been staged too for comedic effect (I'm an optimist).

I thought Europe WAS a country!.

Man, this is sad.

The IEEE commitee 802, those are the guys who make 802.11 WiFi, 802.16 WiMAX, Ethernet, etc. Smart guys!

I participate in those meetings and we decided to have at least one non-North American plenary meeting per year. Well the leadership of IEEE 802 decided for the 2008 NON-NORTH AMERICAN meeting to go to Vancouver, British Columbia Canada. Apparently Canada is no longer in North America!

The IEEE commitee 802, those are the guys who make 802.11 WiFi, 802.16 WiMAX, Ethernet, etc. Smart guys!

I participate in those meetings and we decided to have at least one non-North American plenary meeting per year. Well the leadership of IEEE 802 decided for the 2008 NON-NORTH AMERICAN meeting to go to Vancouver, British Columbia Canada. Apparently Canada is no longer in North America!

Well Vancouver is in the Great SouthWest of Canada. Oops nope that's Windsor:D

Yikes. There really needs to be an application process for breeding. I guess this just proves that "You can't fix stupid."

The EU is currently such a hodge podge of Sovereign Laws and some quasi-Federal trade stuff that it is remarkable that anyone would know the exact law on some point.

~ Christopher

Kelly Pickler - and American Idol country singer girl.

Thank heavens the child can sing... :eek:

I was going to say she's dumber than a bag of hammers, but is it being dumb? Or just poorly educated?

Kelly Pickler - and American Idol country singer girl.

Thank heavens the child can sing... :eek:

I was going to say she's dumber than a bag of hammers, but is it being dumb? Or just poorly educated?
What are you if not reasonably well educated? Other than going to have a hard time without some other talent, such as the one she has?

She's not much different than a lot of "professional" jocks who couldn't support a donut habit if they couldn't play ball.

The EU is currently such a hodge podge of Sovereign Laws and some quasi-Federal trade stuff that it is remarkable that anyone would know the exact law on some point.

~ Christopher

Welcome to my life.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Is Kellie Pickler really that stupid, or is her stupidity just an act? Kinda like when the Russians landed on Gilligan's Island: He's too stupid to be stupid. He must be the cleverest one of them all!

Well,

Given the number of books on sex that even a reputable retailer like Border's has, there must be people who have a problem even with Tab A slot B.

~ Christopher

"What do you call a person who speaks two languages?"

Bi-lingual

"What do you call a person who speaks three or more languages?"

Tri or multi-lingual

"What do you call a person who speaks only ONE language?"

AMERICAN

This only goes to show how narrowly educated our nation is about anything outside of its own borders...
(but then I'm not sure this 'box of rocks' would have been able to determine from a list, what are the 50 states in the US, either!)

That's not entirely fair.

Pick some cambodian peasant. Do they speak more than one language? Probably not.

A Harvard professor? Probably 2 or 3.

I personally speak three languages.

~ Christopher

That's not entirely fair.

Pick some cambodian peasant. Do they speak more than one language? Probably not.

A Harvard professor? Probably 2 or 3.

I personally speak three languages.

~ Christopher

The point is that the majority of first world, second world, and some third world countries teach multiple languages, many from the first year of school. The sad fact is that American universities barely offer foreign language studies, let alone require them. And don't even look at primary schools.

The point is that the majority of first world, second world, and some third world countries teach multiple languages, many from the first year of school. The sad fact is that American universities barely offer foreign language studies, let alone require them. And don't even look at primary schools.

Huh? The University of Wisconsin (Madison) has always required foreign language to graduate, and in the 90's upped the requirement to needing two years of foreign language in high school to even get in. They made that requirement in my senior year of high school, which kept me out. :mad:

I lived in the Netherlands for a year and spoke Dutch but that was a looooooooooong time ago. I can just kind of barely understand a conversation in Dutch if I really concentrate, but speak it? Uh, not any more. I could probably pick it back up fairly quickly though.

The point is that the majority of first world, second world, and some third world countries teach multiple languages, many from the first year of school.
And the point behind your point is that we don't need to speak more than english for our economic survival. As english is now the international business language, the non-english speakers do need to learn at least one more language - english. Please note I am not saying this is good or right, but what is.

And how about a country like India, where there are at least 20 different languages and many more dialects? Thanks to the British, they have one language in common. English. A common language is one of the few benefits India got from the Brit's colonization.
The sad fact is that American universities barely offer foreign language studies, let alone require them.
That certainly explains why my wife moved to this country to study Slavic Languages here at Yale. What could she have been thinking? :D

-Skip

Huh? The University of Wisconsin (Madison) has always required foreign language to graduate, and in the 90's upped the requirement to needing two years of foreign language in high school to even get in. They made that requirement in my senior year of high school, which kept me out. :mad:

I lived in the Netherlands for a year and spoke Dutch but that was a looooooooooong time ago. I can just kind of barely understand a conversation in Dutch if I really concentrate, but speak it? Uh, not any more. I could probably pick it back up fairly quickly though.

My uni offered Spanish and French, and starting next year won't even offer French. And you can only take two semesters, which is the requirement to graduate. It's ridiculous.

My uni offered Spanish and French, and starting next year won't even offer French. And you can only take two semesters, which is the requirement to graduate. It's ridiculous.

Wow. Well, I guess you went to a crappy university. :D

The one language course that really did interest me in school was Technical Japanese. It seemed relevant, as an Electrical Engineering major.

Now, in terms of what is offered at Wisconsin, I don't think we're falling behind at all:

Arabic
Azeri
Chinese (also "Classical Chinese")
Czech
Danish
Dutch
Filipino
Finnish
French
German
Greek
Hebrew
Hindi
Hmong
Icelandic
Indonesian
Italian
Japanese (also "Classical Japanese", Technical Japanese, and Japanese for Business and Industry)
Korean
Latin
Norwegian
Ojibwe (also available: "Survey of North American Indian languages")
Old English
Old Norse
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Russian
Sanskrit
Serbo-Croatian
Spanish (and Medical Spanish)
Swahili
Swedish
Telugu
Thai
Tibetan
Turkish
Twi
Urdu
Uzbek
Vietnamese
Xhosa
Yoruba

Holy f***. That's only in the fall timetable, and most of the above have at least four semesters available. :hairraise:

It's clear your wife had her mind set on marrying someone who stayed young and would never grow up.

So, she married a pilot. :)

Wow. Well, I guess you went to a crappy university. :D

The one language course that really did interest me in school was Technical Japanese. It seemed relevant, as an Electrical Engineering major.

Now, in terms of what is offered at Wisconsin, I don't think we're falling behind at all:

Arabic
Azeri
Chinese (also "Classical Chinese")
Czech
Danish
Dutch
Filipino
Finnish
French
German
Greek
Hebrew
Hindi
Hmong
Icelandic
Indonesian
Italian
Japanese (also "Classical Japanese", Technical Japanese, and Japanese for Business and Industry)
Korean
Latin
Norwegian
Ojibwe (also available: "Survey of North American Indian languages")
Old English
Old Norse
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Russian
Sanskrit
Serbo-Croatian
Spanish (and Medical Spanish)
Swahili
Swedish
Telugu
Thai
Tibetan
Turkish
Twi
Urdu
Uzbek
Vietnamese
Xhosa
Yoruba

Holy f***. That's only in the fall timetable, and most of the above have at least four semesters available. :hairraise:

Yeah but around here you need a qualification in most of those languages to make the contractors understand what work you want done on your house. :hairraise::hairraise:

Studying a second language in school and speaking a second language are two totally different things.

I studied Spanish. I cannot hold a conversation in Spain, Mexico or Miami with the average man on the street.

I can pretty well read Spanish and French, I lived and worked in Canada for a while so Seeing both together long enough you recognize written word. Could not understand a thing in Quebec.

I would interject that most people in America have a reasonable knowledge of at least a second language. Since most amercans follow this model.

Description First language Second Language

Native Amercans - Original home language - American
Immigrant generation - Original home language - American
First new generation - American - Original home language
Second generation - American - Vague original or Schooled in choice
fourth generation - American - Schooled in choice

Now there are some caveats
Latin - Most Catholics up to the 1960 when the masses were changed, still some
Jews - Hebrew
People from the Caribean - mostly Spanish dialects although some English
Mexico, Central & South America - Spanish dialects or Portugese
Canadians - French & English
Other English colonies - English
Arab contries - One of the Arab Dialects
Other countries the local langage or dialect - So I don't forget or offend anybody this is all inclusive.

Many people have a problem with the current immigrant generation not wanting to learn or use American. I think this has been common for centuries and the integration of the languages created the current American language a combination of English, French Spanish, Native languages and a llittle spice from all the others combined(regional dialects aside Y'all).

By the way the other language I speak, to a usable degree, is aviation.

Have a good day, 6 Juliet Alpha

If every bordering state spoke a different language I can promise you we would be taught multiple languages too. But the fact is that the vast majority of us will never encounter a need for another language. I know English and never have I needed another. You cannot compare the teachings of small European countries to us.

There are a lot more interesting and useful things I try to learn. Thirteen languages isn't one of them.

I am actually a proponent of teaching more languages. I think that I never really understood the languages I learned as a small child (English and German) until I learned another language (Latin and a little Japanese) later in life.

Do I get to add computer languages to the tally of languages I know?

~ Christopher

What I bemoan is that people are arrogant enough to believe that English will be the language for a long time. My old company did a study on how American executives adopt to foriegn languages (e.g. Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Russian) that are not from our language tree. American and British execs scored the worst, with Asian and Eastern European's scoring the highest (in learning a new language not within their language tree)

I spend a lot of time abroad, and I'll tell you - there are certain groups of people who land in countries where very few people speak your language, and get all ****ed off when people won't talk to them in English (or their chosen language). Americans are, sadly, one of those groups (with Germans being another one quite reviled the world over)

IMO, people going into roles that require global work should have a demonstrable understanding (or a willingness to learn and be performance graded) on new languages. Translation, a lot of college biz grads should come out with a language beyond English.

Cheers,

-Andrew
who can get to the bathroom in Japan, follow the gist of an Italian conversation, and know when someone is slighting him in Hindi

If every bordering state spoke a different language I can promise you we would be taught multiple languages too. But the fact is that the vast majority of us will never encounter a need for another language. I know English and never have I needed another. You cannot compare the teachings of small European countries to us.

There are a lot more interesting and useful things I try to learn. Thirteen languages isn't one of them.

THANK YOU! Damn...if each damn state were a country with its own language than I am SURE we would learn it, but what the hell does someone need to learn French or Chinese if they rarely, if ever, leave the country?

I freaking HATE people that try to compare us to Europe without taking into account the unique differences between the two regions...very BIG differences.

On the other hand, you can really blow a foreigner's mind if you speak their language.

I discovered a little girl in my daughter's pre-school class is Polish. She doesn't speak English yet, as they only moved here a few months ago. I still speak a (VERY) little Polish, learned when my father took us on a sabbatical to Poland. I said hello to her in Polish -- you should have seen her eyes light up. Later that week, I saw her in the parking lot with her mom. I said "Good morning Julia, how are you?" in Polish and her mom's eyes bugged out in amazement. Too bad that pretty much taps out what I remember, other than a few useless phrases. Still -- it was fun to see her mom's reaction.

OMFG - having seen the clip I can only weep. She's stupid. No doubt about that! Unfortunately, all too many Americans are comfortable with that level of stupidity. "I thought Europe was a country." Ugh.

On the other hand, you can really blow a foreigner's mind if you speak their language.

I discovered a little girl in my daughter's pre-school class is Polish. She doesn't speak English yet, as they only moved here a few months ago. I still speak a (VERY) little Polish, learned when my father took us on a sabbatical to Poland. I said hello to her in Polish -- you should have seen her eyes light up. Later that week, I saw her in the parking lot with her mom. I said "Good morning Julia, how are you?" in Polish and her mom's eyes bugged out in amazement. Too bad that pretty much taps out what I remember, other than a few useless phrases. Still -- it was fun to see her mom's reaction.
I'm sure that was a precious smile. Although she will certainly learn English in time, it has to be very refreshing for her to suddenly be acknowledged in a language she knows well.

Back