If you see one of these

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
in your rearview mirror, just go ahead and pull over. I taught an E.O.V.C. class Monday and Tuesday and was lucky enough to drive the new Dodge Charger Police Car. WOW, the last P.D. car I drove that had close to this type of performance was the 94-96 Chevy LT1 Caprice, but the Charger is in a class by itself.
Diana, this was down your way, so watch out, Jasper County bought 5 of these.

Attachments

• charger.JPG
    charger.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 97
Dean said:
in your rearview mirror, just go ahead and pull over. I taught an E.O.V.C. class Monday and Tuesday and was lucky enough to drive the new Dodge Charger Police Car. WOW, the last P.D. car I drove that had close to this type of performance was the 94-96 Chevy LT1 Caprice, but the Charger is in a class by itself.

Aww how cute. They look like british squad cars.

Do they come with billy club holders and automatic whistle blowers too?

SkyHog said:
Aww how cute. They look like british squad cars.

Do they come with billy club holders and automatic whistle blowers too?

Nope, just a MP5 and Taser.

Dean said:
:eek: I hope they don't get them down in Arkansas; I hear that Chip has been known to drive his Porsche a few mph above the speed limit.

Diana said:
:eek: I hope they don't get them down in Arkansas; I hear that Chip has been known to drive his Porsche a few mph above the speed limit.

Unless he plays Yakity Sax while he's doing it, I don't think he has anything to worry about :D

I'm just giving you a hard time, Dean - not trying to be a jerk :D

Best one I had was a 93 Crown Vic with the 5.0 liter with the high performance chip, cornered like on rails. It ate Japanese bikes for breakfast.

But I'd take a Charger as a substitute. Now I'm relegated to SUV's :rolleyes:

alaskaflyer said:
Best one I had was a 93 Crown Vic with the 5.0 liter with the high performance chip, cornered like on rails. It ate Japanese bikes for breakfast.

But I'd take a Charger as a substitute. Now I'm relegated to SUV's :rolleyes:

We had those, and the Caprices before. I didn't like the Caprices, loved the Crown Vic. Only real complaint I had with them was that they could wear out the brakes on a hard response. A point brought home to me one morning at Kirtland AFB. A guy on a motorcycle got wiped out by a car just off base, outside a gate that was normally closed and locked all the time. Ambulance couldn't get to the accident because of early morning rush hour traffic, and the jam up caused by the accident, so they were going to try to get on base and get to the guy through that gate. One of our patrols was dispatched to get the keys to the gate from the LED, waaaaaay across base, and beat the ambulance to the gate and get it open. I watch the Crown Vic come busting up the road in front of the ambulance, could see the brakes smoking, then watched as they used the car to "open" the gate, unable to get stopped. Fortunately, they didn't hit anyone else, were able to get out of the way, and the ambulance was able to get the motorcyclist to our VA hospital (couldn't get to a civilian one in time) in time to be saved.

The looks on the faces of the two guys inside as they went past my car and into the gate was kind of funny.

alaskaflyer said:
It ate Japanese bikes for breakfast.
I'd like to see that.

hayabusa.jpg

Stock 200 MPH..Dynos stock at around 173 HP. I've seen people who have pushed these well beyond the 250-300 HP mark. 0 to 60mph in 2.5 seconds.

Some idiots even throw a turbo on it..and well.. you know what happens..

Fun bike.. Really easy way to get killed...

Either way..my 80's 700CC Jap bike will 0-60 in 3.5 seconds...I have yet to see a car that can run with it...The key is to turn.. a lot.

jangell said:
I'd like to see that.

Stock 200 MPH..Dynos stock at around 173 HP. I've seen people who have pushed these well beyond the 250-300 HP mark. 0 to 60mph in 2.5 seconds.

Either way..my 80's 700CC Jap bike will 0-60 in 3.5 seconds...I have yet to see a car that can run with it...The key is to turn.. a lot.
I don't care how fast you are; you can't outrun a radio.

jangell said:

Squidmobile.
Most people that aren't smart enough to not run from the cops usually aren't smart enough to know how to handle bikes at that speed either. They may get away from the cops but the ambulance catches them. Oh well.

jangell said:
The key is to turn.. a lot.

Narrow vehicle, tight turn radius, high thrust to weight ratio and just short of steel pole through the spokes stopping power will outmaneuver just about anything...just don't get hit.

Brian Austin said:
I don't care how fast you are; you can't outrun a radio.
OK, I SWEAR I was not one of the people in this story, which dates from circa 1978...

A friend (he was in HS, I was a college freshman) was blasting around suburban streets on his Seca (or was it his KZ1000?) when the blue lights came one. He hightailed it around, turn after turn, until he lost the cop. He went through some back yards (!) and parked it behind the house of a friend of his. He and his friend sat on the front porch talking. A little while later, a cop car pulled up and the cop said, "Hey, did you guys see a red motorcycle tearing through here a little while ago?" Before they could answer, the door opened behind him and the friend's dad said, "Yeah, it was that kid right there."

Ouch!

Ken Ibold said:
OK, I SWEAR I was not one of the people in this story, which dates from circa 1978...

A friend (he was in HS, I was a college freshman) was blasting around suburban streets on his Seca (or was it his KZ1000?) when the blue lights came one. He hightailed it around, turn after turn, until he lost the cop. He went through some back yards (!) and parked it behind the house of a friend of his. He and his friend sat on the front porch talking. A little while later, a cop car pulled up and the cop said, "Hey, did you guys see a red motorcycle tearing through here a little while ago?" Before they could answer, the door opened behind him and the friend's dad said, "Yeah, it was that kid right there."

Ouch!
Yikes! I had a buddy with a Suzuki 750 that would look for cops to chase him just for fun. One night he had one chasing him through the Riverside area and he was screeming down Park street (I think it was) and a car pulled out in front of him. He managed to miss the car, but ended up skidding right through 5 Points on his rear end. Spent a couple of days in the hospital on his stomach before heading to the hooscow for a visit.

jangell said:
I'd like to see that.

hayabusa.jpg

These work well, but having a brother who is a cop works even better. Last week I was pulled over twice for doing 80 in a 55 and got out of both tickets. When, or if you get stopped just be polite and don't make any sudden moves. Have your license and registration where you can quickly get to them, but wait until the officer asks you for them.

jangell said:
I'd like to see that.

I have seen a few turbo'd Hayabusa's with 500+ hp at the wheel. Never mind the drag busa's....

I made a person decision a long time ago to never run. The odds may work in my favor at times, given traffic, speed, handling ability, and knowledge of the roads, but why throw the dice?

You can outrun Ford, but you can't outrun Motorola (or Eurocopter)

Cheers,

-Andrew

flyifrvfr said:
These work well, but having a brother who is a cop works even better. Last week I was pulled over twice for doing 80 in a 55 and got out of both tickets. When, or if you get stopped just be polite and don't make any sudden moves. Have your license and registration where you can quickly get to them, but wait until the officer asks you for them.

Why even take the chance of driving that fast if you're interested in an aviation career? In many states a 25 over violation results in a suspension of your drivers license, and I'm just guessing that might have some consequences for your certificates.

James Dean

astanley said:
I have seen a few turbo'd Hayabusa's with 500+ hp at the wheel. Never mind the drag busa's....

I made a person decision a long time ago to never run. The odds may work in my favor at times, given traffic, speed, handling ability, and knowledge of the roads, but why throw the dice?

You can outrun Ford, but you can't outrun Motorola (or Eurocopter)

Cheers,

-Andrew

Good decision... you take a speeding ticket, or at worst a reckless driving ticket, and turn it into a felony with really for real jailtime. Not worth it.

Joe Williams said:
Good decision... you take a speeding ticket, or at worst a reckless driving ticket, and turn it into a felony with really for real jailtime. Not worth it.

Exactly. I've never understood why people run. With technology as it is today, once the police have seen your vehicle and are in pursuit, your chances of successfully getting away are quite slim. I mean think about it, they're up to Wild Police Chases MXCVIII now or something? You know you've watched at least one of those, and how does it always end? And yet there's always more footage for them to use. Wonder why...

wbarnhill said:
Exactly. I've never understood why people run. With technology as it is today, once the police have seen your vehicle and are in pursuit, your chances of successfully getting away are quite slim. I mean think about it, they're up to Wild Police Chases MXCVIII now or something? You know you've watched at least one of those, and how does it always end? And yet there's always more footage for them to use. Wonder why...
To quote a Chicago detective, "I've never thrown a Roades Scholar up against a wall."

If a LEO pulls you over, it is because he has a good reason. If that's because you broke the law, you deserve what you get.
While speed may be fun, pick you time and place carefully. Mine is 4,500. Just wish I could do it in a P51!

SkyHog said:
Unless he plays Yakity Sax while he's doing it, I don't think he has anything to worry about :D

I'm just giving you a hard time, Dean - not trying to be a jerk :D

I know Nick, all taken in fun. Hell, to be a cop you have to have a good sense of humor or a warped one.:D

silver-eagle said:
If a LEO pulls you over, it is because he has a good reason.

I'm all for respect for the law, and all that, but mindless adherence to this statement is the first step toward a totalitarian state.

Sorry, had to throw-down on that a little.

Or it's because he wants her phone number, or is really bored and you actually went over the line a hair (just enough to count), or for any number of reasons that he can find by looking at you and your car closely enough. And sometimes it's for a good reason. Oftentimes. But not always.

etsisk said:
Or it's because he wants her phone number, or is really bored and you actually went over the line a hair (just enough to count), or for any number of reasons that he can find by looking at you and your car closely enough. And sometimes it's for a good reason. Oftentimes. But not always.

I have, on a very boring weekend or holiday mid-shift, been known to pull people over for things like having a license plate light out, just to see if they are drunk and to wake myself up. Protector of the public, and all that.

Joe Williams said:
I have, on a very boring weekend or holiday mid-shift, been known to pull people over for things like having a license plate light out, just to see if they are drunk and to wake myself up. Protector of the public, and all that.

I've known police officers who brag that they pull someone over and will come up with a reason as they walk up to the car.

It happens. Where I used to live I was pulled over at least once a month, always some type of B/S...Usually it consisted of:
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
"No."
"Let me see your license"

they check that..and I'm on my way...Do they know why they pulled me over? I doubt it. It's just late and they assumed that I must be drunk.

Back