If you like Google Maps, be aware that the new update may compromise privacy

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I am one who likes Google Maps and use it quite a bit... but I am not too thrilled with the "price" of the latest upgrade...

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/01/google-maps-adds-commute-tab-and-music-controls/

"Unfortunately, this update comes with a privacy drawback. Until very recently, you could associate your home and work address with your Google account in Google Maps.

"Now, you need to activate ‘web & app activity’, the infamous all-encompassing privacy destroyer — I used to store my home and work address and I can no longer change those addresses without enabling that. If you activate that setting, Google will collect your search history, your Chrome browsing history, your location, your credit card purchases and more.

"And Google nudges you to activate that “feature” all the time. You need to turn on ‘web & app activity’ to use Google Assistant on an Android device for instance. It’s becoming quite clear that Google is monetizing its newest features with your data."

This is shared to raise awareness, so that if you start using the new update, you know what items you're giving up to "Big Data"

How do you think Google Maps knows where traffic is slow? They're tracking all of us.

Google already knows more about me than I do at this point.

Back