If you happen to be in Maine's mid-coast region...

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
I would highly recommend the Owl's Head Transportation Museum. It's on the field at Rockland/Knox County Regional Airport, so you can drive or taxi straight up to it. I've seen it almost every day since moving to Maine, but finally went for the first time this weekend (thanks to a recommendation from our own Harley Reich).

Unfortunately the local Skyhawk was down for mx so we just ended up driving, but let me tell you, it was well worth the 40 minute drive! When we first walked in, I thought it was going to be a little cheesey, but I came to find out that the $10 admission is a steal at twice the price. After almost 2 hours in the museum, we finally got kicked out at closing time, without getting to see nearly half of what we wanted to. It's an incredible collection of classic (and down right old) planes, cars, bikes, and engines. Now I just have to figure out how to become a volunteer pilot for them.

And while I'm on the topic of sights in the Owl's Head region, the Owl's Head Lighthouse. If you want some beautiful terrain and an absolutely STUNNING view, this is the place.

I would highly recommend the Owl's Head Transportation Museum. It's on the field at Rockland/Knox County Regional Airport, so you can drive or taxi straight up to it. I've seen it almost every day since moving to Maine, but finally went for the first time this weekend (thanks to a recommendation from our own Harley Reich).

It's an incredible collection of classic (and down right old) planes, cars, bikes, and engines. Now I just have to figure out how to become a volunteer pilot for them.

Teller; send an e-mail to Charlie Gabelmann cgabel@blazenetme.net. You may already know that there are only six or seven pilots authorized to fly the OHTM planes. Charlie has been one of them for a long time. He's also the longtime president of our EAA Chapter 87. Charlie flew in the air demonstrations as the "enemy" that the Red Baron would try to shoot down.
Charlie will be able to inform you about the volunteer pilots situation.

HR (tell him I told you to write, but HR means nothing to him; at "home" I'm Jerry Crute)

[snip]

And while I'm on the topic of sights in the Owl's Head region, the Owl's Head Lighthouse. If you want some beautiful terrain and an absolutely STUNNING view, this is the place.

But you won't get these views(#2 and #3 are about identical). Since 911 the tower is closed to tours. I got in back in 2002 when I had guests from Wisconsin and I was guiding them around the hot spots back home. The Coast Guardsman(Lighthouse keeper) was trimming bushes near the base of the tower. When I told him -- fact -- that back in 1961 I had done an interview of famed maritime historian Edward Rowe Snow(also famous as the Flying Santa Claus) and that we had been in the tower(and I gave him other history of the Owls Head facility) he thought for a bit and said, "If you have some time, when I finish this pruning I'll take you into the tower." Lucky us!!!

Let me tell you, the size of the padlocks on the tower door(s) will defy just about any bolt cutters an intruder might possess.

HR(I have other scenic shots taken through the tower glass, looking toward Spruce Head, Monroe Island, et cetera, but they're on a photo CD I haven't uncovered since relocating to this house last June.)

HR

Attachments

• Fresnel Lens Owls Head Light.jpg
    Fresnel Lens Owls Head Light.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Fresnel2 Lens Owls Head.jpg
    Fresnel2 Lens Owls Head.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Fresnel3 Lens Owls Head.jpg
    Fresnel3 Lens Owls Head.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 8
But you won't get these views(#2 and #3 are about identical). Since 911 the tower is closed to tours. I got in back in 2002 when I had guests from Wisconsin and I was guiding them around the hot spots back home. The Coast Guardsman(Lighthouse keeper) was trimming bushes near the base of the tower. When I told him -- fact -- that back in 1961 I had done an interview of famed maritime historian Edward Rowe Snow(also famous as the Flying Santa Claus) and that we had been in the tower(and I gave him other history of the Owls Head facility) he thought for a bit and said, "If you have some time, when I finish this pruning I'll take you into the tower." Lucky us!!!

Let me tell you, the size of the padlocks on the tower door(s) will defy just about any bolt cutters an intruder might possess.

HR(I have other scenic shots taken through the tower glass, looking toward Spruce Head, Monroe Island, et cetera, but they're on a photo CD I haven't uncovered since relocating to this house last June.)

HR

Those are exactly the views I wanted! The lamp is just barely visible from the ground next to the massive steel door on the tower. I really wanted to get up there, but figured they would frown upon knocking on the keeper's door. I also kind of want to hear that "little" fog horn they have there. If you happen to find that photo disk, I'd love to see the pictures from up there...despite the wind that place was absolutely stunning. I'm sorry it didn't work for us to meet you while we were there, but I'm sure the fiance and I will be back as things warm up!

Those are exactly the views I wanted! The lamp is just barely visible from the ground next to the massive steel door on the tower. I really wanted to get up there, but figured they would frown upon knocking on the keeper's door. I also kind of want to hear that "little" fog horn they have there. If you happen to find that photo disk, I'd love to see the pictures from up there...despite the wind that place was absolutely stunning. I'm sorry it didn't work for us to meet you while we were there, but I'm sure the fiance and I will be back as things warm up!

E-mail me your e-mail address -- that may sound rather stupid in view that I could e-mail you via PoA, but it won't permit attachments -- and I'll put your e-mail address in my address book. And when I find a collection of Photo CDs that are in one of those unpacked boxes - - - - - - - - -

We'll get together at some point.

Oh, and you would not want to hear that "little" fog horn ----- if you happen to be standing near it.

HR

EDIT: Incidentally, Google "Historian Edward Rowe Snow" and "Flying Santa Claus Edward Rowe Snow" and you'll get a bunch of hits which will relate to tons of maritime history, and Flying Santa Claus, which he took over from local guy Bill Wincapaw(the original).

Oh, and my shots of the fresnel lens in the tower? It is so big within its quarters, even with a 24mm lens(before digital) I had to squeeze back and down as far as I could to get it all into the composition.

Last edited:
Back