If you had to start a small, aviation related business, in a large metro area

The easiest, safest monetarily, part time, maybe even fun........25mile sight seeing.

I think you are right. I am looking into local helo rides during sporting events, engagement / sunset rides, aerial photoghaphy, joy rides, country fair rides, etc. To help offset the cost of buying / operating a helo. Might not be a huge money maker, but it would generate some income and I could deduct the ship. Would be fun also. :yes:

hmmm, Air Taxi in a helo.
Didn't one recently buy the farm in Hawaii?
Wonder what the liability premiums would be? :yikes:

... sometimes I like to hold things in my hand and get a better look than online pictures before I buy.

That's what she said!

I mean, I know just what you mean. Therefore, I am proud to announce a new concierge opportunity. Each client is treated with the utmost respect and dedication to their project. Knowing how important it is to you to make the right purchase decision but too that you want to be back in the air without delay allow me to offer my services. See, I'm only a few miles distant from AS therefore am suitably positioned to provide a valued service to you. For a small charge I will personally handle the item you desire, limited to aircraft parts, and timely deliver this needed information to you over a secure means of contact. The same secure line can be used to forward credit card information. For an additional small fee I will purchase the part and forward it to you. This is truly one stop shopping. Act now to take full advantage of this amazing opportunity.

To answer the OP, door locks and parts. And hinges too. Those parts take a beating, seem not robust enough for their service, can be difficult to find or at You Got To Be Kidding Me pricing from the original manufacturer.

One idea that has always intrigued me would be to set up a “prop shop” in Hawaii. To the best of my knowledge, there isn’t one there. The prop aircraft in Hawaii use the mainland for overhaul & repair services. You could partially disassemble the prop for shipping, and ship it to a shop on the mainland. When the repair/overhaul was complete, the shop returns it to you, and you re-assemble it. You could charge the customer a percentage of the delta between shipping the prop assembled and disassembled. You could also do some minor repairs. All you’d need was a build buck, some tools and a pickup truck for pickup & delivery. You wouldn’t make a fortune, but it might be a nice little side job for a retired guy, especially if the said retired guy had a Propeller Repairman’s License and lived in a place like, Ohio, and wanted to retire someplace nice.

One idea that has always intrigued me would be to set up a “prop shop” in Hawaii. To the best of my knowledge, there isn’t one there. The prop aircraft in Hawaii use the mainland for overhaul & repair services. You could partially disassemble the prop for shipping, and ship it to a shop on the mainland. When the repair/overhaul was complete, the shop returns it to you, and you re-assemble it. You could charge the customer a percentage of the delta between shipping the prop assembled and disassembled. You could also do some minor repairs. All you’d need was a build buck, some tools and a pickup truck for pickup & delivery. You wouldn’t make a fortune, but it might be a nice little side job for a retired guy, especially if the said retired guy had a Propeller Repairman’s License and lived in a place like, Ohio, and wanted to retire someplace nice.

I doubt any of the prop shops would warranty an overhaul that was reassembled by someone else.

Re: If you had to start a small, aviation related business in a large metro area

What would you do?

From an outsider's perspective, the prospects for businesses involved in the general aviation and small transport industries appears have been bleak, with the big guys getting smaller and the small guys going away. Is there any particular under served segment of the general aviation market where there is an opportunity to make some money?
If you're really serious and not just kicking tires, I suggest starting here: https://www.score.org/

SCORE mentors can help you analyze any market and look for niches and it's free.

SCORE is almost certainly the cheapest jump start around. Mentors are typically former CEOs and high level executives who really like to help.

That's what she said!

I mean, I know just what you mean. Therefore, I am proud to announce a new concierge opportunity. Each client is treated with the utmost respect and dedication to their project. Knowing how important it is to you to make the right purchase decision but too that you want to be back in the air without delay allow me to offer my services. See, I'm only a few miles distant from AS therefore am suitably positioned to provide a valued service to you. For a small charge I will personally handle the item you desire, limited to aircraft parts, and timely deliver this needed information to you over a secure means of contact. The same secure line can be used to forward credit card information. For an additional small fee I will purchase the part and forward it to you. This is truly one stop shopping. Act now to take full advantage of this amazing opportunity.

Sounds good. But I'll only pay you COD.

Assembled as in the blades, gaskets and links re-installed in the hub ? Not assembled as in 'bolted to the crank'.

Yes, exactly. Pick up the prop at the airport, take it back to your place and knock it down for shipment. Ship the prop to the mainland. Prop shop on the mainland does the repair/overhaul and returns it in a partially disassembled state for shipping. Prop is shipped to you. You re-assemble and deliver the prop to the airport.

Yes, exactly. Pick up the prop at the airport, take it back to your place and knock it down for shipment. Ship the prop to the mainland. Prop shop on the mainland does the repair/overhaul and returns it in a partially disassembled state for shipping. Prop is shipped to you. You re-assemble and deliver the prop to the airport.

Are you saying that prop-shops are doing that today (for regular GA aircraft props, not some Dash-8 sized thing) ?

I think if you're artistic, like working with your hands and a good fabricator, I think doing what these guys do, but with GA parts instead of airliners and military planes might make money.

http://www.motoart.com/

With all the planes being scraped these days and a good healthy supply of them all around the country, there should be lots of reasonably priced stuff to work with.

Get a lot of those kids multi colored beanies with propellers on top that spin. Sell them on street corners! You'll be wealthy!

Originally Posted by weilke
Are you saying that prop-shops are doing that today (for regular GA aircraft props, not some Dash-8 sized thing) ?

Yes. The two bladers are pretty economical to ship, but the three blades and up, usually it's cheaper to ship them partially disassembled. Companies like UPS & Fed Ex have a weight limit, and you can ship fast & cheap if you can knock the prop down to a size/weight limti that UPS or Fed Ex can accept.

Re: If you had to start a small, aviation related business in a large metro area

Open a Pawn shop - every owner is going to need one eventually!

Very confusing. If prop-shops already do this (ship disaasembled for assembly at customer site), what is the value proposition of your hawaian prop service?

Every prop I have ever seen delivered came via motor-freight in a large crate that sat on a custom pallet.

Based on this thread, I'd say that creating competition for Jeppesen in the database business could make you a small fortune in aviation.:dunno:

Whatever you do, make it "too big to fail" so we can all pay for your mistakes.

What would you do?

From an outsider's perspective, the prospects for businesses involved in the general aviation and small transport industries appears have been bleak, with the big guys getting smaller and the small guys going away. Is there any particular under served segment of the general aviation market where there is an opportunity to make some money?

I'd get involved in drones. That's where the future is going. Sales, maintenance, repair, pilot training, etc of drones.

Last edited:
Back