If you had a private airport with parallel 10,000’ runways ...

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
... would you put a giant 600’ high wind turbine at the end of one of them?

Here’s a photo I took yesterday of REESE (Pvt) airport near Lubbock Texas. It also has a smaller wind turbine in the middle of the field.

Adjustments.jpg

Here’s the section. When I took that photo, I was located just about over the "R" of REESE

Adjustments.jpg

They should have declared it a public airport, then whomever it is that owns the adjacent land would have been precluded from erecting the big, three-tongued airplane-eater.

http://www.reesetechnologycenter.com/

While it’s close to the outboard runway, the other 2 are a safe distance away. Looks like 35L is closed anyway. Based on the ramp pic, it looks more of an industrial park than a private airfield. Doesn’t look like much has landed there since it was an AFB.

According to the Air Force's page about this former AFB...

"The Air Force transferred nearly 3,000 acres of land to the Lubbock Reese Redevelopment Authority for its use in furthering education, research, engineering and technology at the Reese Technology Center....An additional 3,500 students from Texas Tech University and South Plains College call RTC home, including the world-renowned Wind Science and Engineering Research Center."

So it doesn't sound like the wind generators are there randomly....

Ron Wanttaja

... would you put a giant 600’ high wind turbine at the end of one of them?

Here’s a photo I took yesterday of REESE (Pvt) airport near Lubbock Texas. It also has a smaller wind turbine in the middle of the field.

View attachment 78992

Here’s the section. When I took that photo, I was located just about over the "R" of REESE

View attachment 78993

Probably not as you describe, at the end of each runway.

Well that's shame. Too bad they couldn't have disabled the short runway, instead of the long one.

Eventually the wind people will win out,and the airport will disappear.

Looks like 35L is closed anyway.

Maybe so, but it's hard to say -- as I flew by, I looked, and there was no visible "X" painted on the ends of any of the three runways. Public info seems to be sparse, as the AF/D has nothing about this airport, according to Foreflight.

Based on the ramp pic, it looks more of an industrial park than a private airfield. Doesn’t look like much has landed there since it was an AFB.

Yes, definitely that's how it looked from the air. No airplanes that I could see on the ramp, but there were plenty of vehicles and stacks of materials. I got the impression that it's mostly a huge paved parking area, used for light industry, but somebody could use a runway to fly a plane if they really wanted to.

Back