If you could pick one training book....

triton63

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
triton63
to recommend for a new fixed pilot wanabe what would it be?

I have the FAR and AIM manuals and some Jeppesen training books but looking for an easy to follow, fun to read book that explains much of what the other manuals will cover. I plan to begin my training within the next month. I have not flown in ten years. I started my fixed wing training then and flew 6 hours and stopped. Ten years prior to that I was a helicopter pilot in the Army so I do have my commercial pilot, rotorcraft - helicopter, instrument helicopter certificate.

Looking forward to getting back in the air. Thanks for your suggestions.

The FAA Airplane Flying Handbook is very nice, IMHO. Better than many other books on the topic. Your tax dollars at work.

Also, being a former Army helo driver, you probably don't need the "Stick and Rudder". You need a quick primer on contemporary civilian flying and FAA handbooks do that.

P.S. To MAKG's point, Denker book is wonderful and all, but he needs stuff like airspace, and the rule is only one book, so...

Last edited:
A great book to have (even if you go with another) for private pilot training is this one (click the image). And the author is one of our beloved curmudgeons here
stickpoke.gif
Bob G.
poking-with-stick-smiley-emoticon.gif

But the challenge to "the best one" is that all of the major ones are all really good. So much of it comes down to whom you like personally.

Rod Machado's Private Pilot's Handbook

Some corny humor but really good with the details.

I would agree with that. That's the book I started with, and as easy as it was to read, I was quite surprised at how well it prepared me when I moved on to some other texts. Still have it, and use it as reference.

Stick and Rudder- I am convinced that this book would have saved me a couple hours or so in my primary training when I was just starting out.

Yeah, that's one of the heavyweights.... litterally...

Product Details
Paperback: 572 pages
Publisher: Aviation Speakers Bureau; 1st edition (1997)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0963122991
ISBN-13: 978-0963122995
Product Dimensions: 10.9 x 8.4 x 1.4 inches
Shipping Weight: 3.5 pounds
Average Customer Review: 4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews (105 customer reviews)​

My vote would be Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook also. That's what I've been reading. Then again, I'm a complete noob that hasn't even started flying yet but I'm using this book to prep me...

My vote would be Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook also. That's what I've been reading. Then again, I'm a complete noob that hasn't even started flying yet but I'm using this book to prep me...

Machado can explain anything.

His book is relatively pricey, though, and such a choice should be coordinated with the instructor.

to recommend for a new fixed pilot wanabe what would it be?

I have the FAR and AIM manuals and some Jeppesen training books but looking for an easy to follow, fun to read book that explains much of what the other manuals will cover. I plan to begin my training within the next month. I have not flown in ten years. I started my fixed wing training then and flew 6 hours and stopped. Ten years prior to that I was a helicopter pilot in the Army so I do have my commercial pilot, rotorcraft - helicopter, instrument helicopter certificate.

Looking forward to getting back in the air. Thanks for your suggestions.
Welcome to PoA. We're here to answer your questions with vigor, some humor, some truth, and occasionally, some rancor. Pull up a chair on the front porch of aviation and join in. We'll happily grade your landings and your comments.

Its not what you are asking, but I would not pick just one book.

FAA book for passing FAA knowledge and oral tests. All else for practical learning and expansion of knowledge.

Ten years prior to that I was a helicopter pilot in the Army so I do have my commercial pilot, rotorcraft - helicopter, instrument helicopter certificate.

With that kind of background you might have a hard time staying awake reading any of the books that have been suggested.... ;)

His book is relatively pricey, though, and such a choice should be coordinated with the instructor.

Got mine paperback on EBay for $22 shipped! Invaluable IMO

Well as a former Marine Corps Helo driver I would recommend anything by Kershner.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have reviewed many of the suggestions and it doesn't look like I will pick just one! Never hurts to have a small library of good flying reference material. Thanks again.

You can never have too many aviation books.. But I've loaned my old Rod Machado's Private book out to many friends, I think it's a greater starter book that doesn't bore the reader to death immediately.

Agreed, except for VORs. Most texts stink at explaining how to locate oneself in reference to them quickly and without the rigmarole of performing imaginative gymnastics ("now turn in the same general magnetic direction as the radial" ... pfft).

Of course, GPS is killing off VORs so who cares--except for the knowledge exam, I guess.

Most texts stink at explaining how to locate oneself in reference to them quickly and without the rigmarole of performing imaginative gymnastics

Turn the needle until the CDI is centered with a FROM indication.

Pull out your map and draw a line from coming off of the VOR on that radial, do this with 2 VOR's, find where they intersect and that's where you're located.

The earlier Trevor Thom series, The Pilot's Manual from (not the edited beyond-usefulness books that ASA is selling now) is a favorite. It's being sold on Amazon for $1.28. Pretty good price. :)

Turn the needle until the CDI is centered with a FROM indication.

Pull out your map and draw a line from coming off of the VOR on that radial, do this with 2 VOR's, find where they intersect and that's where you're located.

And to capture and track a radial, what do you do then without reverse sensing?

And to capture and track a radial, what do you do then without reverse sensing?

Easy. Pick a heading on the same side of the CDI as the needle. You'll never have to worry about reverse sensing again. And you should be flying headings rather than chasing the needle anyway.

Easy. Pick a heading on the same side of the CDI as the needle. You'll never have to worry about reverse sensing again. And you should be flying headings rather than chasing the needle anyway.

Ding (same side safe). Most texts bungle this.

Pick the VOR you want to fly to and turn the course card 180 degrees, fly the selected heading and track the CDI.

What if I don't care about flying to a VOR, I want to track say 193R outbound, my heading is 030. Can you do this without first establishing what radial you're on or must you always figure that beforehand?

What if I don't care about flying to a VOR, I want to track say 193R outbound, my heading is 030. Can you do this without first establishing what radial you're on or must you always figure that beforehand?

Yes, dial in the 193 radial on the OBS and between the needle and to/from indicator you will know where you are relative to it. Why would you be flying 030 to fly outbound on the 193 though?

Yes, dial in the 193 radial on the OBS and between the needle and to/from indicator you will know where you are relative to it. Why would you be flying 030 to fly outbound on the 193 though?

I wouldn't, and that's not the point--which is that most texts I've read will have you turning your melon into a pretzel trying to figure where you are first by getting the FROM indication on a radial then resetting the OBS to the desired radial then ... where they treat it as a fly-left/fly-right indicator along with the reverse sensing bugaboo instead of flying a course.

But yes you're right, between the needle and the flag, you should have it.

If your looking to pass the PPL test, Gleim is the one I used. After going thru the book, I took an overdose of practice tests. I did it until I would ace them. When I took the written I missed two questions. I still keep those books handy just to freshen up.

If your looking to pass the PPL test, Gleim is the one I used. After going thru the book, I took an overdose of practice tests. I did it until I would ace them. When I took the written I missed two questions. I still keep those books handy just to freshen up.

I've always wondered about that style. I don't mean to offend, or imply that one is less of a pilot, but do the books that teach you to pass the test really teach you about flying? Or do they teach you to answer the questions correctly?

I really took that into consideration when I got my books. I didn't want any "ace the exam!" and "multiple practice tests!" books because I didn't feel that there was enough theory and explanation. Flipping through them it was just question and explanation (sometimes) on why one answer was correct and the rest are wrong.

To each is own, but I don't think that I'd feel comfortable with that. I want to know the theory behind why it is what it is, not just to be programmed to pick out the best answer.

I started with the nice and free FAA Airplane Flying Handbook. Took my dad's copy of Jeppesen Private Pilot text book and read/am re-reading that. Then got Kings online program for the videos and practice questions to hammer home the highlights.

As for VOR position determination, I know that was specifically on my dad's check ride after the examiner did unusual attitiudes with the blinders on. He use the two crossing radials method, and did great. Apparently the examiner had flown a different check ride earlier in the day and failed the person for not using that method correctly or fast enough.

The most crucial training book is YOUR BIBLE! I did not come here to preach but it has occurred to me that there are many depraved sinners here.

The most crucial training book is YOUR BIBLE! I did not come here to preach but it has occurred to me that there are many depraved sinners here.

:rofl:

Which book and chapter covers the aerodynamics of the turn? Gotta be in Exodus, yeah?

Back