If this is real, it's an airline pilot meltdown.

I've never been on a flight where the FAs get off before the passengers.

Indeed you haven't - thought you meant the pilots. It was early for me! ;) I'd guess the PA was made from the flight deck and they were at a loss as to how to stop it. I mean, how would you handle it in their shoes?

That is of course if they were even listening. The old joke amongst pilots is "How do you keep a secret from a flight attendant? Make a PA about it!"

Indeed you haven't - thought you meant the pilots. It was early for me! ;) I'd guess the PA was made from the flight deck and they were at a loss as to how to stop it. I mean, how would you handle it in their shoes?

That is of course if they were even listening. The old joke amongst pilots is "How do you keep a secret from a flight attendant? Make a PA about it!"
So what's the consequence for the cockpit crew leaving a non-employee alone in the cockpit?

He was never in the cockpit. He was a non revenue passenger who used a cabin handset.

He was never in the cockpit. He was a non revenue passenger who used a cabin handset.
American Airlines should probably have better controls over when and where their employees can get the cabin handsets.

I would have sworn I was getting punk'd if I were on that flight.

And it does leave the question of why no one was monitoring/intervening.

or maybe they all thought they were getting punk'd...

I wonder if the lav door can be closed and locked with the cord of the handset running through one of the seams? Flight attendants tend to be pretty territorial of their stuff - it's definitely hard to imagine that anyone (let alone a non-employee) could make such a PA with an FA or two just a few feet away.

Maybe he was in the back and the FAs were in the front and couldn't get to him with all the PAX deplaning.

Why did the American crew allow him to command the PA for any length of time?

He was on a roll? The German's just bombed Pearl Harbor after all.

On a more serious note, if somebody is half off their rocker, and venting, let them vent. Kind of like not screwing around with a hot radiator when the safety valve is releasing steam. It'll wind down on it's own. I'm lazy and didn't read the whole story, but I'd bet this guys next actions were to sit down and think "a) I feel better now. b) I just wrecked my career."

Back