If the world is moving to GPS...

Another good reason to keep a paper sectional at the ready. Sooooo 1960s, but it works!

Wow. Your magenta line to KABQ may not end up in "New" Mexico.

Welcome to Ft Huachuca...lovely place. Got speeding ticket on base for going 20 mph. The GPS notice is evn on the KAPA atis.

Pity the poor SOB who's lost in the desert and his street level GPS is giving him wrong directions. :eek:

They put these NOTAMs out every year and I've yet to hear any real impact on operations.

They put these NOTAMs out every year and I've yet to hear any real impact on operations.
We got a maximum ground speed on the CAP 182T that can only be explained as an incorrect GPS reading. With RAIM, it's not a fault or loss of signal.

That is, unless we have a supersonic 182.

Every month more like. I have two more like that one from different "ground zero" locations from the automated alert system at FAA in the last month.

Every month more like. I have two more like that one from different "ground zero" locations from the automated alert system at FAA in the last month.
This is the first I've seen from Ft Wacky...usually it's centered around Canon AFB or Alamogordo. The objective is to minimize impact, and TPTB never realize there's an entire time zone where people live and fly. I want to see a GPS Advisory NOTAM for the east - say around Boston or even Chicago.

If ever.

Call me when it happens.

This is the first I've seen from Ft Wacky...usually it's centered around Canon AFB or Alamogordo. The objective is to minimize impact, and TPTB never realize there's an entire time zone where people live and fly. I want to see a GPS Advisory NOTAM for the east - say around Boston or even Chicago.

If ever.

Call me when it happens.

Agreed on the epicenter move. That's what caught my eye on this one. The others have become "the boy crying wolf" over the last few years. Which will probably lead to someone getting hurt sooner or later, and the investigation will say, "But we TOLD them that GPS might be unreliable over a four State region! Why did they use it? Sheesh! Oh. We shut down the VORs, and the LORAN, and decommissioned all the NDBs..."

There was also one centered on some named canyon here in CO a couple of weeks ago. Military must have drug the kids out for a little campout complete with GPS jamming toys and MREs. Hope they liked their Tabasco sauce from tiny bottles. Mmmm. MREs.

Agreed on the epicenter move. That's what caught my eye on this one. The others have become "the boy crying wolf" over the last few years. Which will probably lead to someone getting hurt sooner or later, and the investigation will say, "But we TOLD them that GPS might be unreliable over a four State region! Why did they use it? Sheesh! Oh. We shut down the VORs, and the LORAN, and decommissioned all the NDBs..."

There was also one centered on some named canyon here in CO a couple of weeks ago. Military must have drug the kids out for a little campout complete with GPS jamming toys and MREs. Hope they liked their Tabasco sauce from tiny bottles. Mmmm. MREs.

The only meals where Tabasco is a must condiment for all of them. Even spaghetti.

I've seen grown men fight over the tiny Tabasco bottle when their particular MRE doesn't include one. :)

A lot of people just absolutely hate the things but I really didn't mind them. Plenty of times overseas I'd choose an MRE instead of waiting in a crowded chow hall line for 30-45 mins.

I just pulled up a briefing for a route from Vancouver WA to Phoenix AZ. That one briefing yielded no less than 26 different NOTAMS for GPS interference tests over the next five days at Mountain Home ID, Fallon NV, Alamogordo NM and Hector CA, each with a radius of up to 412 nm at 10,000' MSL. Those are significant chunks of real estate.

Earlier this year such NOTAMS were also carrying this ominous warning: DUE TO GPS INTERFERENCE IMPACTS POTENTIALLY AFFECTING EMBRAER PHENOM 300 AIRCRAFT FLIGHT STABILITY CONTROLS, FAA RECOMMENDS EMB PHENOM PILOTS AVOID THE ABOVE TESTING AREA AND CLOSELY MONITOR FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEMS DUE TO POTENTIAL LOSS OF GPS SIGNAL. :eek:

Memo to self: Get ADF fixed. o_O

Memo to self: Get ADF fixed. o_O

Kinda wishing we had not pulled ours, honestly. It's the only long range navigation backup solution still operating. And it ain't so hot in thunderstorm season.

For the wimpy price tag it took to operate it, LORAN-C shouldn't have been mothballed.

Another good reason to keep a paper sectional at the ready. Sooooo 1960s, but it works!

Tablets will still display charts. Not all tablets have GPS; or an external source. Even if GPS had never been invented, EFBs are a game changer.

Back