if my medical doubles as a student certificate.....

When was it issued? If you received the medical/student pilot certificate, than no. IACRA will only be used when you apply for your next pilot cert.

The "date of examination" was in October of last year and I received my certification in May.

Does your medical actually say it is a student pilot certificate? Something like "third class medical and student pilot certificate"? If it was issued in May I would doubt that it does. If it doesn't say that, I don't think you actually have a student pilot certificate and you would need to go through IACRA.

Does your medical actually say it is a student pilot certificate? Something like "third class medical and student pilot certificate"? If it was issued in May I would doubt that it does. If it doesn't say that, I don't think you actually have a student pilot certificate and you would need to go through IACRA.

20160911_200259.jpg

Do you have a spot on the back of the medical to sign off for solo endorsements?

20160911_200308.jpg

Yes and yes.

So what do you mean by "that IACRA thingy"?
What do you think you need to do?

I went online and signed up for IACRA using my medical # (The GX number). That linked my current student pilot license and my new IACRA #

Well that's a surprise to me for something issued in May of this year.

The regulation that governs the duration of the old paper certificates is 61.19(b):
(b) Paper student pilot certificate. A student pilot certificate issued under this part prior to April 1, 2016 expires:
(1) For student pilots who have not reached their 40th birthday, 60 calendar months after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.
(2) For student pilots who have reached their 40th birthday, 24 calendar months after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.
(3) For student pilots seeking a glider rating, balloon rating, or a sport pilot certificate, 60 calendar months after the month of the date issued, regardless of the person's age.
Note that it says issued prior to April 1. If the only date on yours is October of last year, I think you're good to go as is.

Apparently yours was issued in May? If it actually say May XX 2016 somewhere you may not be technically in compliance. In that case, were I your CFI, I'd likely encourage you to just apply for a plastic one. As I recall from the last one I did, it takes ~15 minutes of your time and maybe 5 minutes of you CFI's time. If there was a reason that isn't a good option (which happened for one of my students) I'd call the FSDO to ask if it was good.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Well that's a surprise to me for something issued in May of this year.

The regulation that governs the duration of the old paper certificates is 61.19(b):

Note that it says issued prior to April 1. If the only date on yours is October of last year, I think you're good to go as is.

Apparently yours was issued in May? If it actually say May XX 2016 somewhere you may not be technically in compliance. In that case, were I your CFI, I'd likely encourage you to just apply for a plastic one. As I recall from the last one I did, it takes ~15 minutes of your time and maybe 5 minutes of you CFI's time. If there was a reason that isn't a good option (which happened for one of my students) I'd call the FSDO to ask if it was good.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

The only date on it is October of '15 but I didn't actually get it till May.

The only date on it is October of '15 but I didn't actually get it till May.

I'm a CFI. If you showed up as a student and showed me that, based on the Oct 2015 date I'd tell you that you were good to go under the terms of 61.19(b). If you hear otherwise from someone higher up the FAA food chain, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Back