If I was in the market for a Maule...

tawood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
This seems like a really good deal (from Barnstomers 5/21/18):

upload_2018-5-21_7-47-6.png

Are New Mexico and New Hampshire,now in the same dry region?

Yeah, I noticed that...perhaps changing "Always hangared in New Mexico" to "hangared in New Mexico until just recently" or something similar...

Make sure you can find someone who knows what they are doing to work on that Franklin if you buy it. They're good engines but more than one has been screwed up by an A&P that thought it was just like a Lyc/Cont.

Make sure you can find someone who knows what they are doing to work on that Franklin if you buy it. They're good engines but more than one has been screwed up by an A&P that thought it was just like a Lyc/Cont.
Doesn't it go suck, squeeze, bang, and blow, just like any other engine?

I just got a notice from a company I have done business with before saying they cannot ship me the items because they do not ship out of the country......:frown2:

Also I have a tracking number and expected delivery date of merchandise that they do not ship out of the country.....:loco:

I just got a notice from a company I have done business with before saying they cannot ship me the items because they do not ship out of the country......:frown2:

Also I have a tracking number and expected delivery date of merchandise that they do not ship out of the country.....:loco:
You moved onto the Rez?

Doesn't it go suck, squeeze, bang, and blow, just like any other engine?

And all planes work more or less the same, so guess experience on or in make model is irrelevant lol

And all planes work more or less the same, so guess experience on or in make model is irrelevant lol
Well, It ain't like Franklin didn't publish maintenance manuals.

Well, It ain't like Franklin didn't publish maintenance manuals.

And the planes have POHs/AFMs, kick the tires and light the fires!
Crazy how my company pays all that money for FSI when we could just sit down with the AFM.

And the planes have POHs/AFMs, kick the tires and light the fires!
Crazy how my company pays all that money for FSI when we could just sit down with the AFM.
Said like the A&Ps don't have training, and can understand engines.

Said like the A&Ps don't have training, and can understand engines.

There is a reason all our guys were sent to a airframe and engine specific school after getting hired, even with lots of experience.

It would be like working on a Stinson and not knowing what model it is, like thinking a small tail Stinson was a large tail one, imagine if some mechanic started ordering and installing parts like that, some are not interchangeable between a -1,-2 and -3, the mechanic could waste a good amount of the owners time and money, at best, and or the aircraft would now be un airworthy at worst.

There is a reason people take planes to mechanics who have experience on that model, and a reason a good mechanic or pilot will work under someone with experience on model before thinking they have any business being let loose on it and a lead/solo wrench/pilot.

Thinking because you have a APIA that it's smart to bid work on any piston plane you bump into is about as crazy as me thinking I'm logically qualified to jump into any plane a ATP can fly load up pax and go.

nh
There is a reason all our guys were sent to a airframe and engine specific school after getting hired, even with lots of experience.

It would be like working on a Stinson and not knowing what model it is, like thinking a small tail Stinson was a large tail one, imagine if some mechanic started ordering and installing parts like that, some are not interchangeable between a -1,-2 and -3, the mechanic could waste a good amount of the owners time and money, at best, and or the aircraft would now be un airworthy at worst.

There is a reason people take planes to mechanics who have experience on that model, and a reason a good mechanic or pilot will work under someone with experience on model before thinking they have any business being let loose on it and a lead/solo wrench/pilot.

Thinking because you have a APIA that it's smart to bid work on any piston plane you bump into is about as crazy as me thinking I'm logically qualified to jump into any plane a ATP can fly load up pax and go.
Thanks for your opinion, But any A&P that doesn't know enough to work on a Stinson with out specific training should simply give up their ticket. Any part that you would order today would be an after market part. Airframe parts for the dash 1,2, &3 would simply be a call to a salvage yard, and play the 20 questions with the order desk, So if you aren't good enough to do that you should just quit.

nh

Thanks for your opinion, But any A&P that doesn't know enough to work on a Stinson with out specific training should simply give up their ticket. Any part that you would order today would be an after market part. Airframe parts for the dash 1,2, &3 would simply be a call to a salvage yard, and play the 20 questions with the order desk, So if you aren't good enough to do that you should just quit.

But you didn't know that a -3 you were working on was a -3.

And to think experience doesn't matter, that's just nut Tom, and the market doesn't agree with you, hence why people like taking their 185 to beegles, or a cirrus to a cirrus center, or money to a money place.

For a flat tire change when stranded, or putting a new nav bulb or battery in for a not so handy owner, but doing a inspection or major work on a plane or type of engine they have no experience or guidance on, not a sign of a good AP unless they make you aware of this.

Last edited:
But you didn't know that a -3 you were working on was a -3.
When I needed to know I figured it out just like any good mech would. (not brain surgery).

When I needed to know I figured it out just like any good mech would. (not brain surgery).

Sure I'll give you a BFR, what's that? in your plane? Sure! Do I have experience in a XYZ? Son...I'm a ATP!

Do I know the V speeds and emergency procedures? Ha..I'll figure them out when I need to!

Does that sounds like a good CFI?

And to think experience doesn't matter, that's just nut Tom, and the market doesn't agree with you, hence why people like taking their 185 to beegles, or a cirrus to a cirrus center, or money to a money place.
We call “a money” place a bank. :D

Sure I'll give you a BFR, what's that? in your plane? Sure! Do I have experience in a XYZ? Son...I'm a ATP!

Do I know the V speeds and emergency procedures? Ha..I'll figure them out when I need to!

Does that sounds like a good CFI?
IOWs you can't distinguish between flying and being on the ground looking stuff up.
we can stop what we are doing, learn then go back to work. unlike flying.

IOWs you can't distinguish between flying and being on the ground looking stuff up.
we can stop what we are doing, learn then go back to work. unlike flying.

Well the things you're working on end up going in the air Tom.

It's one to pretend your competent painting a house, but when it comes to airplanes best to not take the publics money and trust to do or work on something you're not experienced in, or at the very lest make it known you have no hours flying that type, or as a AP you've never touched a Franklin before.

Well the things you're working on end up going in the air Tom.
And when they do they are safe, Even when I do require help. It ain't like my tool box is going to crash. We can stop and get help, we can go back and re-do what we messed up, it ain't like we can't go read the book again, even call a friend.
But you don't turn it loose until you know its right.
Now tell what is so special about your Stinson that it requires special training the average A&P doesn't get in A&P trade school, After all they are nothing but an over sized Taylor craft, a rag bag full of rusty tubes waiting for some one to spend a lot of money for an aircraft that is as out of date as a steam tractor.

And when they do they are safe, Even when I do require help. It ain't like my tool box is going to crash. We can stop and get help, we can go back and re-do what we messed up, it ain't like we can't go read the book again, even call a friend.
But you don't turn it loose until you know its right.
Now tell what is so special about your Stinson that it requires special training the average A&P doesn't get in A&P trade school, After all they are nothing but an over sized Taylor craft, a rag bag full of rusty tubes waiting for some one to spend a lot of money for an aircraft that is as out of date as a steam tractor.

Some things are very similar as a Taylor, some very much not.

Back