if I get a part time job and eat ramen.....

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
I'll be able to get the empennage for an rv10 and the tools that I'll need in about 5 months.

Seriously considering it!

Go to Costco, get the giant bulk pack of ramen for like 10 bucks and you'll be set for atleast a year or two. :p

Started my RV7 tail about a month ago. I'm taking my dear sweet time and having a heck of a lot of fun with it. Working in my shop is like a time warp. I'll go in for fifteen minutes, and come out an hour and a half later. Time flies by. Just about time to start priming some parts.

Was able to find an awesome deal on a used tool kit. Then picked up some other stuff as I went along.

Ramen Taco Bell.jpg

Attachments

• Good news Ramen.jpg
    Good news Ramen.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Good practice in case you get sent 'upstate'....
https://www.yahoo.com/news/prison-ramen-cigarettes-161210729.html

Also the tail kit is like getting your first hit of crack at a discount....it gets real expensive after that. Im helping my buddy put the wings on his -7 this weekend. He has about $20K into now. Will end up costing about 80K with new engine and glass VFR panel. Though it could be finished for cheaper.

I miss the building days a little. I did a thorough sweep of the garage the other day and found all those missing clecos, random bits of AN hardware, all those aluminum shavings that settle in the gaps between concrete slabs.

The best part was designing/wiring the panel. So nice to have the freedom of making it exactly how you want it.

IMG_3782.JPG

I'm a machinist by trade and manage a shop that supports an avionics company (no I can't get you a discount). So have every deburr tool you can imagine and access to a pneumatic riveting machine.

My biggest problem besides money is storage. There isn't any room to build a plane in the shop so I would have to rent something close enough to be able to utilize all that equipment.

I think that deburring aluminum parts constitutes about 30 percent of the build time!!

Even if I were pulling in $500K a year, I'd still eat ramen noodles. Love 'em and all their steamy salty goodness.

I'd still eat ramen noodles. Love 'em and all their steamy salty goodness.

One overseas location I was at we'd throw a raw egg in with the ramen as it was boiling. Gave it some more flavor, and a little protein. Then washed it down with a cold beer.

One overseas location I was at we'd throw a raw egg in with the ramen as it was boiling. Gave it some more flavor, and a little protein. Then washed it down with a cold beer.

Dad brought the egg trick back from Korea... He didn't show me the beer part of the trick...

Ahh how'd you know it was Korea? :hairraise:

Well, we were a beer and whiskey group over there. Had to before we headed "downtown" to see the girls. :goofy:

I think that deburring aluminum parts constitutes about 30 percent of the build time!!

Even if I were pulling in $500K a year, I'd still eat ramen noodles. Love 'em and all their steamy salty goodness.

We have a sand and deburr department at work. I can probably sneak a few parts through there :)

Definitely. I like to put a little olive oil in as well, and sometimes a bit of curry powder too.

Back