If I get a letter from AAM-300 and it’s a denial will they change my status in MedExpress?

Beaker’s Flyin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Beaker’s Flyin
Some of you may have seen a few messages from me over the past year or so. I received a class 3 from an AME back in July 2023 for sleep apnea and a couple other things that have been evaluated and favorable progress reports written by providers. All was submitted by my AME and he issued in the office expecting a special issuance letter to follow.

I’ve been tracking my mail and today I have a letter coming from AAM-300, and I checked my status on MedExpress and it still shows Ive got a class 3 without restrictions.

Would MedExpress get updated prior to the letter arrival?

Who knows? Don’t hold your breath. I received notice of my SI being issued in October of 23 but Medexpress was in final review status until two days ago when it changed to certification decision.

I have a conditioned fear of certified mail with green stickers now. And anything whatsoever from the IRS to boot!

Thankfully this wasn’t a certified letter, and confirmed it is my SI letter. It took 7 (almost 8) months for a class 3 SI letter for sleep apnea…

Although the letter has another medical attached which looks exactly like the one provided in the office…

Very happy to see the 40 hrs and 8k I’ve spent to date hasn’t been wasted.

Thanks, the letter was my SI. So I can rest easy and basicmed on….
You can get BasicMed now, yes. But...and this is VERY important...BasicMed DOES NOT supersede a currently active medical certificate.

Until the SI Medical Certificate times out (12 months for OSA I believe...the "Not Valid For Any Class After" date), you are obligated to continued compliance with the terms of the SI Authorization Letter. Once the SI Medical Certificate has timed out, DO NOT fill out another MedXpress. You will need to submit all of the information required to be submitted per the SI authorization letter at the time that the SI Medical Certificate times out to prove that you remain eligible for another SI Medical Certificate issuance upon its expiration. But after that, so long as you do not fill out another MedXpress application, you're home free.

It's VERY IMPORTANT that you follow this!!! Lots have had their SI Authorization Letters withdrawn because they thought they no longer needed to comply with the SI Authorization because BasicMed supercedes the SI Medical Certificate. This is not so. As long as the SI Medical Certificate is valid, you are obligated to comply with the SI Authorization regardless of BasicMed status.

Once this happens, your BasicMed is invalid and you have to start all over.

Last edited:
You can get BasicMed now, yes. But...and this is VERY important...BasicMed DOES NOT supersede a currently active medical certificate.

Until the SI Medical Certificate times out (12 months for OSA I believe...the "Not Valid For Any Class After" date), you are obligated to continued compliance with the terms of the SI Authorization Letter. Once the SI Medical Certificate has timed out, DO NOT fill out another MedXpress. You will need to submit all of the information required to be submitted per the SI authorization letter at the time that the SI Medical Certificate times out to prove that you remain eligible for another SI Medical Certificate issuance upon its expiration. But after that, so long as you do not fill out another MedXpress application, you're home free.

It's VERY IMPORTANT that you follow this!!! Lots have had their SI Authorization Letters withdrawn because they thought they no longer needed to comply with the SI Authorization because BasicMed supercedes the SI Medical Certificate. This is not so. As long as the SI Medical Certificate is valid, you are obligated to comply with the SI Authorization regardless of BasicMed status.

Once this happens, your BasicMed is invalid and you have to start all over.
Absolutely!, and thanks for the reminder!

BTW - When I got my class 3, Bruce pointed out that the easiest time to get a physician to sign off on Basic Med is immediately after the FAA has deemed you fit to fly and while you hold an active medical clearance. Even though your medical won’t expire for a while, there may be some merit to getting the Basic Med approval before the class 3 ink is dry.

BTW - When I got my class 3, Bruce pointed out that the easiest time to get a physician to sign off on Basic Med is immediately after the FAA has deemed you fit to fly and while you hold an active medical clearance. Even though your medical won’t expire for a while, there may be some merit to getting the Basic Med approval before the class 3 ink is dry.
This is precisely how I did mine. Made the BM appointment right after the medical/SI was issued. Even had an AME do the BM physical. Everything went down without a hitch. I then continued compliance with the SI Authorization Letter until the medical certificate timed out, sent in all of my required documents to prove compliance, and never looked back.

I went for my Basic Med immediately after I got my SI renewal, and before it expired. It gave the physician peace of mind that I was safe to sign off if the FAA had just said the same.

Back